• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Newsnight in serious trouble

What I posted on the afternoon before the Newsnight broadcast about Lord McAlpine's accuser.

Senior political figure threatens to sue BBC over paedophile claims - Telegraph

If Newsnight run with the story, and it turns out to be untrue, Newsnight are finished. If they suppress it then there might be more grief for them. High stakes!

A full apology has been issued by the BBC tonight. A manager has been sent in to supervise Newsnight tonight. A full apology is to be read out tonight. They are banned from investigations until further notice. A report is being sent to the Director General. Even the BBC 9O'Clock News is calling Newsnight 'a mess' tonight.

It looks as if my prediction might come to pass - Newsnight's future has to be in serious trouble tonight...

ruserious

Why do good shows like newsnight and PrimeTime Investigates suffer over the actions or inactions of certain individuals. Surely, the individuals involved should be punished rather than the show which provides so much public good.

Dame_Enda

It shows the dangerous tendency of the modern media's default position of believing each and every serious accusation against an Establishment figure.

The counter-offensive is well and truly underway.
Newsnight were asking for it - appallingly sloppy research and a cavalier attitude to the reputation of an innocent man. As I also wrote on that day, Newsnight were so desperate to rectify the accusation that they spiked the Savile story that they rushed the McAlpine one, not even bothering to ask the man for any kind of response (it only came that afternoon because Michael Crick asked him on foot of the post-tweet publicity, not because Newsnight themselves asked him to do so). If it hadn't been tweeted they would have run the story without him having a right of reply at all...

Why do good shows like newsnight and PrimeTime Investigates suffer over the actions or inactions of certain individuals. Surely, the individuals involved should be punished rather than the show which provides so much public good.
No. they have a special responsibility to check and recheck their facts when the reputation of a potentially innocent man is on the line. They didn't bother in either of those cases.

dresden8

Indeed.

Inaction. Followed by over-reaction. Followed by righteous indignation. Followed by litigation.

The well worn path to kill any story of public interest.

We've been here before. Nothing is new.

The story will die out killed by itself.

One has to suspect it's deliberate.

ruserious

No. they have a special responsibility to check and recheck their facts when the reputation of a potentially innocent man is on the line. They didn't bother in either of those cases.
They do, but why make the brand suffer? Get rid of the individuals and make it transparent.

Indeed.

Inaction. Followed by over-reaction. Followed by righteous indignation. Followed by litigation.

The well worn path to kill any story of public interest.

We've been here before. Nothing is new.

The story will die out killed by itself.

One has to suspect it's deliberate.
I don't believe that, I believe it is entirely a shambolic ****-up by idiots.

Suttree

You have to assume there's a whole infrastructure around a show like this, and it failed pretty spectacularly in this case.

truthisfree

I have to admit TA it is called a witch hunt, the hysteria on the net and MSM has been way over the top tbh...we are not pretty as a race (humans) but we are not that bad...

southwestkerry

I agree 100% with this, sadly with the current way employees are protected from dismissal I suspect its a lot cheaper and easier to shut the door and put on a pad lock. That look the way to me anyhow.

Clanrickard

These shows inconvenience the establishment. They need to be neutered.

Suttree

Maybe it didn't but upstairs didn't like them investigating so settled it.
It would appear that the man making the allegations of abuse has come out and said he made a mistake in identifying the individual concerned (not sure if we're actually naming him); that's fairly conclusive, surely?

Popular Threads

Most Replies