Newstalk or Radio FG

mickterry

I wonder if Denis O Brien has instructed his on air staff to go after the government. With the exception of Ivan Yeates and Marc Colman the rest of them seem to be very biased. The worst is Damien Kiberd at lunchtime. Is anyone else tired of of the regular comments from Ed Walsh. Who the hell is he. Oh yes, he does not mind if his pension is cut but is reluctant to say how much it is to start with. Then he goes on to stay that the dole needs to be cut drastically because it is much lower in N.I. Would Ed live on 196 euro a week? No chance.

paulp

not happy with newstalk attacking the government? or not happy that Ed gets too much air time and that he's a twat? or not happy that newstalk is pro-FG?

White Horse

Anyone critical of this magnificant government must be lackeys employed by Fine Gael.

What is there to criticise?

mickterry

Anyone critical of this magnificant government must be lackeys employed by Fine Gael.

What is there to criticise?
Just looking for balance. Ed Walsh, to my mind, would not be in favour of any party unless they attack the very poorest in our society. I think that none of the present parties want to do this. Walsh and those who think like him do.

Tomas Mor

Imagine , Kiebird FG ! And what about all the times Mama O Rourke, Mahhy McGah, Conor Lenihan etc are on.

mickterry

Ok I was wrong. Newstalk is the most balanced radio station in the world. Mea culpa

EvotingMachine0197

They wreck my head over the amount of yakking they do on English soccer.

Boring repetitive discussions about English soccer does not qualify as news to me ..

Other than that, fairly good.

wee slabber

I listen to Kiberd, but I have given up on George Hook. He is too found of talking about himself, and as for that idiot American right-winger he has on his show - who wants to know what he thinks?

wickalah

I listen to Kiberd, but I have given up on George Hook. He is too found of talking about himself, and as for that idiot American right-winger he has on his show - who wants to know what he thinks?
I wouldnt mind having Michael Graham on a show in Ireland as long as he is balanced by a well-informed and capable host. George Hook is none of these things, he should stick to the rugby analysis (and even there his judgement and opinions are questionable).

I think it would be an excellent piece of programming if it was Miriam O'Callaghan or Vinnie B at the helm to counterpoint Graham's insane rants.

Abaddon

I've got a love hate relationship with Newstalk. I love the sports coverage.

I hate the way O'Brien uses this station to push his own agenda.

How quickly people forget that this station broadcast an editorial every hour, on the hour, prior to the news before last years budget, calling on all people to support Cowan and Lenihan's budget. Wow! Look how well we're doing now!

disgruntledcitizen

I thought it was rugby they do to death. :confused:
don't be silly theres no such thing as to much rugby discussions, its the pointless prattle about uk soccer esp that utterly annoying Giles with his "when i was a player........" ************************e that does my head in........

Newstalk in general and Off the ball in particular would be a far better if they got rid of Giles

constitutionus

yates and coleman arent biased ?

jaysus thats news to me !

:)

but yeah newstalks gone right down the toilet lately and i cant help thinking its the heavy hand of dennis.

on the plus side if ya want the FF side of thing theres always RTE to tune into.

that said whan FG and LAb are in power next year it makes me wonder exactly WHERE we'll be able to go then.

SeanieFitz

newstalk is v biaised, v anti union, v anti public service................... now hold on, why does that sound familiar? ivan the terrible is v sexist as well

ed walsh is chuck feeney's love child! homer simpson could have managed UL with the money thrown at it by chuck

Monday Monday

You also get the impression with newstalk that there is a real 2-tier system in their staff. The big "stars" like Yeats and Hook are constandly getting fawned on by their younger minnow colleagues.

It comes across really badly on the radio.

South

Website
homepage.eircom.net
Newstalk's initial target audience was Dublin as it was a Dublin only radio station so inevitably they were gonna focus on English soccer the most, reflect the interests of their listeners. However, they are getting ride of the soccer show now as they've secured coverage rights for the Championship. A shame, Newstalk sport is far more balanced then RTE/Today FM with dcenet discussion on soccer, rugby, American sports and GAA whereas RTE devote I'd say 75% of their sports coverage to GAA/horse racing and you can't listen to Today FM without that prat of a sportscaster going on about the GAA and every minor thing happening in Tipperary, it's rediculously parochial!

As for the FG bias, I actually wouldn't argue with this, probably a good reason why I like listening to it. Ironic you mention Yates & Coleman as being the most no-biased when they are the only presenters who were card carrying members of Fine Gael!!

tigerben

I think Yates gives the Fine Gaelers a hard time when their on. Sometimes I wish he was as hard on FFers , but I only listen to it in the morning, lunch time and on sunday morning.

Red_93

Let's compile a list of FG biased Newstalkers. So Hook, Dunphy, COleman and Yates. Anyone anything to add? I don't listen to it that often so wouldn't know really many more.

Any criticism of FG is very light and they have more FGers on than any others.

borntorum

Newstalk is the only radio station worth listening to. Its the primary function of journalists to question the government.
Utter and complete b0ll0cks.

It is the primary function of the opposition to question the government. It is, or should be, the primary function of journalists to look for the truth.

New Threads

Most Replies