Newstalk silencing women?

stopdoingstuff

Essentially, it is losing its audience due to the rise of smart phones and Social Media. Most people probably only hear a radio station when in some shop or or some car or bus. Apart from that, the traditional radio audience is aging and there is a lot of competition for that diminishing share of the market that listens to talk radio. National talk radio channels seem to be struggling but local radio stations with a more varied schedule seem to be doing better. Perhaps the main problem for Newstalk and RTE One and RTE One and a Half is that they are perceived, outside of the Pale, to be irrelevant Dublin stations.
Podcasts are where it's at.

Pabilito

During peak listening hours (7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday) it appears now that there won't be any female presenting on the Newstalk radio station.

Nope, not one.

RTE Radio 1 for example has 4 women on air, RnaG has 8 female presenters during that time.

What in earth is going on at Newstalk that female voices are being avoided during peak listening hours?

When thejournal.ie inquired, Newstalk wouldn't supply a comment. Seems very odd indeed surely?

'You won't hear a woman's voice, and it's not acceptable': What are Irish radio stations doing about gender balance?
Sarah Mc'Inerney was really great.. what happened her?

constitutionus

in defence of Pat (and ive been critical of him going insane since trump won and the water charges got scrapped ) his target for newstalk IIRC was 150k listeners and he's either at that or near it so thats why he's still got a job.

but i reckon its been a MAJOR blow to the ego that 200k of his old listners didnt come over from day one at least. Seans kept pretty much ALL of his old audience for a quarter of pats boom time wage.

if kennys done anything its show up just how precarious "stars" wages are as its pretty evidential now that any old bollocks put in a studio in montrose in an existing show will kick the indepentent sector up and down the street on a listnership level.

he's a very big question mark over "why are we paying these lads so much?"

ger12

Nedz Newt

Yes they gambled on Kenny and got burnt.

But they make decisions on commercial reasons and no other , do you really think the management sit around every day thinking about how they will silence women , like hell they do. The only thing that interests them is who is likely to bring in the most revenue. Their own jobs depend on that.
I think their commercial agenda is to put their eggs in the right-wing-blokes-with-opinions basket...women just don't get picked for that team (at least no women prominent in Irish broadcasting).

It's modeled on Fox News, radio version. The thinking seems to be "no point competing with RTE for mass market, let's capture the non-mainstream (Trump-ish?) crowd not catered for by RTE.
If they could find a woman to fit that role they probably would, but they're not there - where is the woman broadcaster as ignorant as (say) George Hook, Ivan Yates or Paul Williams. There are women every bit as stupid as them to be had, but such women don't get to the fore in broadcasting as easily as these gimps do.

GDPR

I think their commercial agenda is to put their eggs in the right-wing-blokes-with-opinions basket...women just don't get picked for that team (at least no women prominent in Irish broadcasting).

It's modeled on Fox News, radio version. The thinking seems to be "no point competing with RTE for mass market, let's capture the non-mainstream (Trump-ish?) crowd not catered for by RTE.
If they could find a woman to fit that role they probably would, but they're not there - where is the woman broadcaster as ignorant as (say) George Hook, Ivan Yates or Paul Williams. There are women every bit as stupid as them to be had, but such women don't get to the fore in broadcasting as easily as these gimps do.
Not on radio, you cant see the teef and tits.

Lets face it, its white man van stuff for a white man van audience.

jmcc

Podcasts are where it's at.
Interesting. Asynchronous talk radio. Wonder how many people actually listen back to radio programmes. Ever since they put that Marty Whelan DJ on Lyric FM, I stopped listening to the channel.

jmcc

but i reckon its been a MAJOR blow to the ego that 200k of his old listners didnt come over from day one at least. Seans kept pretty much ALL of his old audience for a quarter of pats boom time wage.
One possible reason is that the audience for radio programmes is based on who controls the dial. People might listen to radio stations rather than individual DJs and hosts.

D

Deleted member 45466

Interesting. Asynchronous talk radio. Wonder how many people actually listen back to radio programmes. Ever since they put that Marty Whelan DJ on Lyric FM, I stopped listening to the channel.
I like Lyric, but I do turn off when that saxophone kicks in at 7am.

GDPR

No good, the only point is someone going mental live.

Otherwise, its just like a snuff movie.

jmcc

No good, the only point is someone going mental live.
Marty In The Morning is close and definitely has that effect on people who want to listen to music rather than DJs. It is kind of like Tubridy with movie and elevator music.

wombat

Newstalk is a commercial operation, if people don't listen, they will change or fold. Personally, I don't bother, to me its talktalk, very little information from it.

GDPR

Marty In The Morning is close and definitely has that effect on people who want to listen to music rather than DJs. It is kind of like Tubridy with movie and elevator music.
Stephen Nolan - that is how you do pure unmitigated lunacy. Mind you Northerners are very good at turning it on and then turning it off.

And are much less influenced by the Brits. petunia

Betson

Maybe so , but that is their choice. It is not done for sexist reasons but Business reasons.

constitutionus

i recently replayed about 3 hours of RTES coverage of Trumps election day for lols going for my walk in the phoenix park to break in the new phone (streaming for that long wouldve killed my old phone but i still had a remarkable level of power left afterwards)

and i streamed ivans show this evening whilst surfing the web.

TBH though more and more im watching/listening to youtube shows. niche interest stuff that'd never get on the airwaves here. in fact that stuff has pretty much taken over from my TV viewing.

stopdoingstuff

That is the great thing about the format in question. The really good podcasts still get played years later and it all seems to happen without the curation of a radio station. I don't know about RTE but I get great mileage out of the BBC as far as listening to old shows go.

GDPR

That is the great thing about the format in question. The really good podcasts still get played years later and it all seems to happen without the curation of a radio station. I don't know about RTE but I get great mileage out of the BBC as far as listening to old shows go.
What kind of shows?

Lets face it, there is nothing as dead as an episode of Have I Got News For You from oh.... three years ago.

You would get more out of That Was The Week That Was from the 60s.

New Threads

Top Bottom