Newtownabbey Riots,Why.

SevenStars

Turning over an 80 year old lady's home by the PSNI has little justification. It is only a matter of time before these sort of disturbances occur given the fact the HET is fundamentally one sided against loyalists.
Its not that far to go from attacking the rabid animals of the RUC to joining the 'RA, so I cant say Im appalled by this behaviour, blah, blah, blah....The question though was asked by a Russian living in Limerick but sympathetic to the Orange Order a while ago and was never answered...How can yis call yourself Loyalists and than go out and attack the UK state? Could seem a little weird that....

Northern Voice

I am not justifying this, and as somebody has already pointed out this could simply be a bit of recreational rioting. However, there has been a context of perceived maltreatment created in that area by a HET keen on arresting loyalists whilst at the same time there is an amnesty for Republican murderers of the disappeared. This does not sit well in certain loyalist circles so a riot may have been prompted as an organised show of discontent. I hope nobody is hurt in these disturbances.

vinoboy

Regardless of HET ,this is not the way to articulate one's opinion .All it does is to undermine any constructive work that has recently happened in that area .Only folk suffering are the local people .

factual

RTE were reporting serious disturbances last night involving up to 250 youths in the Rathcoole estate area,investigations by the Historical crimes division seem to be the catyalist,anybody got any links?How serious was the trouble?.
This is a deprived area - with very high levels of unemployment and poverty.

SevenStars

factual I live in a deprived area in the semi-fascist hell hole you want to dump the poor moronic Loyalists in (Im not exactly their best mate but even I dont wish that on them)....But people are more concerned about stupid computer games, sport, drink and drugs than taking on the state....Even if we are talking about Loyalists you have to admire their guts....Loyalists attacking the billy boys is surely a good thing for Republicanism??? :confused:

factual

factual I live in a deprived area in the semi-fascist hell hole you want to dump the poor moronic Loyalists in (Im not exactly their best mate but even I dont wish that on them)....But people are more concerned about stupid computer games, sport, drink and drugs than taking on the state....Even if we are talking about Loyalists you have to admire their guts....Loyalists attacking the billy boys is surely a good thing for Republicanism??? :confused:
I must say that these riots are not a good thing.

• For a start, it puts a strain on the public purse at a time when people in the six counties are finding it hard to make ends meet given existing tax takes.
  • This will drain resources from government budgets towards police spending that could have gone on public services (and public services tend to be good for the least well off so that harms the poor). Remember that the Six County executive has to cover the cost of policing.
  • There is also the adverse effect such riots have on the image of the six counties in the eyes of potential investors; at a time when jobs are scarce such investment make a big real difference to peoples lives
  • There is also the fact that bus services are disrupted, as well as the normal flows of traffic - a cost on the people of this area (who are already deprived)
  • Add to all of this is the intolerable intimidation to workers in the bus industry and the police themselves.
So no I cannot see how any of this constitutes a "good thing".

Robo

It is not a deprived area, what it is is an area in which those who made a mess of their life. Drink, Drugs, mental health or plain old pig ignorance have been housed within the UK's social agenda. Needy first/basket cases. Its a nice area to live, in many ways removed from the problems of the troubles. The Social housing in the area is slowing falling due to the right to buy and the bulk of the housing is in privite ownership. Its near to many areas of employment many of which are in walking distance. If anyone living here is deprived its down to drink, drugs and fags. Unemployment is no excuse.

eoghanacht

Teenagers and immature adults jumping at the chance of a bit of rioting, hardly typical Unionism. It was not until the searchs were finished that they started to play silly buggers, facebook rent a mob.
Why isn't it, if it was fair for BC to point towards Nationalist youths rioting as some sort 'example' of all Nationalists then surely it's fair for us to assume that this is typical loyalist vermin acting the maggot because they don't like the police going about their job.

Ofcourse it would be bigoted and wrong to then try and twist these isolated incidents as somehow being the example of norm, wouldn't it?

oboe

Imagine the police having the gall to investigate Loyalist criminality. It's practically inhumane.

Robo

Why isn't it, if it was fair for BC to point towards Nationalist youths rioting as some sort 'example' of all Nationalists then surely it's fair for us to assume that this is typical loyalist vermin acting the maggot because they don't like the police going about their job.

Ofcourse it would be bigoted and wrong to then try and twist these isolated incidents as somehow being the example of norm, wouldn't it?
Call a spade a spade, kids playing silly buggers egged on by some loyalists. Then told to cut it out by other loyalists, this is all about HET and the North Belfast UVF. Most people round Rathcoole couldn't care less what HET gets upto or the UVF. The thing that the kids were egged to riot about happened when most of them were still at Joe Jingles or before they were even born. And again its hardly typical Unionism.

damon

The assistant chief constable was on the radio this morning and says that the UVF were behind it. A man with hand gun were seen in the middle of it.
The PUP leader Brian Ervine was also interviewed and he said if it was the UVF then it was just individual members because that was not sanctioned (or something like that).

They punched a female bus driver last night when they pulled her off the bus. The little toe rags.

''They don't like it up 'em'' as corporal Jones used to say. (The HET raids).

This is one of my favourite murals - because of the four high flats which are so prominent on the estate. You can even see them from the Castlereagh hills way in the south of the city.

eoghanacht

You guys really miss him, don't you ? petunia
Not half as much as you, damo and ivor......

See what i miss about him is the fact he put his stall out and debated and argued for it sadly towards the end he allowed his bigotry to come through all the while other Unionist posters such as the three named above applauded him for 'sticking it to the fenians' whilst simutaneously ditancing yourselves from his more outrageous posts.

Atleast he had cojones, he was a sectarian pig but he had his principles. The rest of yis mainly snipe from the sidelines

eoghanacht

The assistant chief constable was on the radio this morning and says that the UVF were behind it. A man with hand gun were seen in the middle of it.
The PUP leader Brian Ervine was also interviewed and he said if it was the UVF then it was just individual members because that was not sanctioned (or something like that).

They punched a female bus driver last night when they pulled her off the bus. The little toe rags.

This is one of my favourite murals - because of the four high flats which are so prominent on the estate. You can even see them from the Castlereagh hills way in the south of the city.

WTF? has your favourite loyalist murial got to do with anything?
Do you think anybody cares what you consider art?

Northern Voice

I listened to that show too, damon. I thought Nolan's attempt to lay it all on the UVF's lap was the worst kind of sensationalism. How can you tell what group, if any, a masked man belongs to just by looking at him? The UVF may have something to do with this but it cannot be simply assumed, there needs to be evidence. It's becoming obvious that a lot of the people involved in this are purely doing it for their own reasons - the assault on the woman driver being particularly low.

damon

Damo? That's me I take it. I think BC went way too far, too often. Calling the youth of an area ''vermin'' or such things is not something I would want to do.
As I just think how that would look if you said the same about black youths in England who might have the occasional riot like they did in the 80's.
No, I was not a fan of BC on this forum, but I wouldn't say he was a bad person particularly. it's the divided society that causes people to be somewhat extreme.
I am only a ''unionist'' in as far as the upheaval that would be needed to change the status quo isn't worth all the aggro. What's the big deal about a UI anyway? It's not like it will be a panacea that will right all Irelands wrongs.

And eoghanacht, I put that picture of that mural up, because those flats are what anyone coming into Belfast from the north will see, just off to the right from the motorway and I would guess anyone who is not a unionist and who knows that is Rathcoole and has seen a picture of that mural - might think ''well I'm certainly not going in there''.
Picador lives in the north of Belfast and I asked him would he ever go there, and he said ''no''. (Probably because there's no reason for him too) - but it's a good mural, if you want to scare the bejesus of people. And those young rioters have grown up in the shaddow of those flats and that mural and others like it.
It's bound to have an effect. An unhealty one IMO. It glamourises people who have commited so many cold blooded murders.

Northern Voice, I agree. He is a bit of a drama queen, that Nolan.

Robo

See what i miss about him is the fact he put his stall out and debated and argued for it sadly towards the end he allowed his bigotry to come through all the while other Unionist posters such as the three named above applauded him for 'sticking it to the fenians' whilst simutaneously ditancing yourselves from his more outrageous posts.

Atleast he had cojones, he was a sectarian pig but he had his principles. The rest of yis mainly snipe from the sidelines
It sounds to me that you miss him, a secret crush maybe? :lol:

SevenStars

It sounds to me that you miss him, a secret crush maybe? :lol:
I miss sharpcut, more intelligent than BC and much more honest.

SevenStars

What did Sharpcut do?
He was always sweet to me....But to others he could be a bit over the top shall we say ;)....I believe he was banned for asking someone if they had had sex with their sister :eek:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies