Next government Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein?

bormotello

The announcement that Gerry Adams is to seek a seat in Louth at the GE prompts the obvious question, why? The equally obvious (to me at any rate) answer is that SF see a strong possibility of being in government with FF.

With Lab bought into the ABFF thing there's a niche for SF to pick up FF transfers and traditional FF voters who want to slap their party but not vote FG into office. Anti FG elements in Lab might also transfer/swap to SF. My feeling is that, despite the poll numbers, FF will still return with 60+ seats. The possibility of Kenny managing to lose a few seats can't be entirely excluded and if the gale is only a gust FG/Lab might not have the numbers. If the electorate is in a 'plague on all your houses' mood we could have a big crop of independents and traditionally FF have nurtured them better. SF in the low to mid teens could just about make Adams Tanaiste.
Sounds like PS servants doesn't like SF idea to cap salaries in public sector by 100K and beginning attack on SF in order to prevent transfer of votes from Labour without any policies to SF with at least some policies

locke

Aside from any questions about SF, FF wouldn't do it.

SF and FF are fishing in the same pool for votes. The only parties that FF would be prepared to bring into a coalition are those who have a completely different support base.

TradCat

Aside from any questions about SF, FF wouldn't do it.

SF and FF are fishing in the same pool for votes. The only parties that FF would be prepared to bring into a coalition are those who have a completely different support base.
FF would go in with anybody that would have them. But they are too toxic now. FG/Lab will have a huge majority.

Baron von Biffo

Thanks, BvB

It's bloody cold today and all the doom and gloom over bailouts and budgets was really getting to me - until I read this, a smile slowly broke across my face and then I rolled on the floor laughing.

Don't know which is funnier: FF winning 60+ seats, FG losing seats, SF in the mid-teens or the Great Bearded One as Tanaiste. Will get back to you on that one.

But thanks for brightening the day...for a while at least.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Always happy to dispel the gloom.

My musings are not so outlandish as you seem to think. Incumbency, personality and geography will keep FF above what polls indicate. The last time we had an ABFF mood was 92 and back then FG managed to lose more seats and from a smaller base than FF did in that GE. The disgruntled vote in the past went to the PDs and then the Greens so there's no reason to think SF can't pick up a chunk of it with those parties now dead.

Venceremos

isn't this what Adams was arguing for a few years ago, before FF's popularity fell through the floor?

Cato

When did the Provies make a stab at destroying the state???? :confused:

If only....
Well, it was one of their aims. I didn't say that they tried very hard.

Pat Mc Larnon

Is that the official position of SF or is it personal opinion?

Never mind SF on this issue, I think it is fair to say that FF need a sustained period in opposition well away from the reins of power.

Aindriu

Never mind SF on this issue, I think it is fair to say that FF need a sustained period in opposition well away from the reins of power.
FF need a sustained period in hell after what they have done to this country and its people!

smitchy2

What a ridiculous post.
If you meant the 2016 election maybe there is some argument.

People who think that FF can up to 50 plus seats are delusional. Nevermind 60!
Baron van Biffo is a typical political anorak who needs the next election results before he realises how much that FF have shed all their floating and up to half their previous “core” vote. Cival war politics is over. Polling numbers were never this bad for FF and never anywhere this good for Labour. Only 14-15% of people actually say they will vote for them before the don’t knows are excluded.

Please be kind enough to post after the election early next year after the by elections.

turdsl

Fianna Fail will not find a suitable partner for government for quite a long time.unless Ruari Quinn rides to the rescue again.

Kerrygold

What a stupid thread.

Seriously, wtf are you thinking?

Firstly, only a party with a death wish would touch FF after the next election. FF will need a long period of decontamination :) before they can be viewed as government material again, if ever (hopefully never).

Secondly, and importantly (to me at any rate!), the parties in question won't come near enough seats to form a coalition.

Tomas Mor

even though SF coalesced with Paisley, I thnk FF would be a step too far for them, remembering what happened Spring.

Baron von Biffo

You may think it's fair but is that the official position of SF?

FG has ruled out SF so the only alternatives are opposition or coalition with FF. They can hardly say FFs mandate is invalid so if the numbers stack up for it why wouldn't SF work with FF?

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Look at the way the Greens are viewed now. Anybody who supports FF and helps keep them in power are seen as accomplices to FF's turpitude and will be punished accordingly. Why would Sinn Fein imagine that they,uniquely, would escape the fate that has already fallen upon Labour and the PDs and that will shortly fall on the Greens? There isn't a spoon long enough to sup with FF now...even if you are dining on the moon.

Pat Mc Larnon

You may think it's fair but is that the official position of SF?

FG has ruled out SF so the only alternatives are opposition or coalition with FF. They can hardly say FFs mandate is invalid so if the numbers stack up for it why wouldn't SF work with FF?

My own opinion is that FF have had their hands on the reins of power for an unhealthily long period of time. During that period questionable alliances were built up that became the Golden Circle that drove the country to the abyss.
SF may or may not go for a coalition, I believe that for the good of FF as well as the country they need a substantial period in opposition to reassess where it all went wrong.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies