NI and ROI : commercial competitors ?

Analyzer

Every time Charles Flanagan opens his mouth the provides more evidence of him being the modt useless TD in DE.

Considering the competition for thst accolade, that is some achievement.

Ireniall

The ten poorest regions in Northern Europe will be leaving as well as the city

Amazing map there. I have always -rightly or wrongly-blamed the despicable Wilson/Callaghan Labour governments for the necessity of Thatchers coming to power afterwards. But to me that map has her finger prints all over it. The Labour governments in the UK have been reckless beyond belief -in contrast to their continental counterparts. So that the end result is a harsher more polarized society where industries that have become too unionized or are only barely profitable get closed down and large traditionally industrialised areas get left behind. It was these areas that voted for Brexit too and while it's understandable at one level I suspect that the EU had little to do with it.

Novos

Amazing map there. I have always -rightly or wrongly-blamed the despicable Wilson/Callaghan Labour governments for the necessity of Thatchers coming to power afterwards. But to me that map has her finger prints all over it. The Labour governments in the UK have been reckless beyond belief -in contrast to their continental counterparts. So that the end result is a harsher more polarized society where industries that have become too unionized or are only barely profitable get closed down and large traditionally industrialised areas get left behind. It was these areas that voted for Brexit too and while it's understandable at one level I suspect that the EU had little to do with it.
The poster implies that the nine of the poorest areas in northern Europe are all in the UK, from west Wales (which is number 1) to East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire (number 10). Again, this is not entirely accurate if you look at the geographical area that is northern Europe, but is accurate when looking at the countries it deems as being in northern Europe: East Yorkshire has a PPS of 80, bigger than the whole of Estonia, which has PPS of 69.

It is also important that no British regions feature in the 20 poorest regions overall in the European Union according to the Eurostat data: they are all in Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Poland.

https://www.indy100.com/article/are-9-of-the-poorest-regions-in-northern-europe-really-in-the-uk--eJ0axHCqmx

Amazing bit of contrived cherrypicking nonsense.

Ireniall

The poster implies that the nine of the poorest areas in northern Europe are all in the UK, from west Wales (which is number 1) to East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire (number 10). Again, this is not entirely accurate if you look at the geographical area that is northern Europe, but is accurate when looking at the countries it deems as being in northern Europe: East Yorkshire has a PPS of 80, bigger than the whole of Estonia, which has PPS of 69.

It is also important that no British regions feature in the 20 poorest regions overall in the European Union according to the Eurostat data: they are all in Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Poland.

https://www.indy100.com/article/are-9-of-the-poorest-regions-in-northern-europe-really-in-the-uk--eJ0axHCqmx

Amazing bit of contrived cherrypicking nonsense.
You prefer to compare yourselves to the ex Communist basket cases which are barely free of the delinquent Soviet imposed Albatross they've had to carry for 70 years? Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Poland? Maybe Afghanistan next eh?

Novos

You prefer to compare yourselves to the ex Communist basket cases which are barely free of the delinquent Soviet imposed Albatross they've had to carry for 70 years? Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Poland? Maybe Afghanistan next eh?
Cherry picking nonsense.

If you take Europe as a whole, then:

Among the 75 regions below the 75% level, fifteen were in Poland, nine in Greece, seven each in the Czech Republic and Romania, six in Hungary, five each in Bulgaria and Italy, four each in Portugal and the United Kingdom, three in Slovakia, two each in Spain, France and Croatia, one in Slovenia, as well as in the single region Member States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

So four of the 75 poorest regions are in UK

None of the 20 poorest are in UK

Try looking at the data without the bias.

ticketyboo

Heard a wee bit of this on the woeful Finucane while driving today....she made these comments at a DUP conference, yes?
Hard to know if it's even worthwhile pointing out, but she was playing to the gallery..taking the opportunity to reinofrce the point that the Fenians are at the gates and they are ever watchful and defending their wee country.....
As things stand, whether IDA or other agencies are being mischievous or not.....most people seem to agree that the financial institutions have a problem with the British vote to leave the EU and a substantial number are exploring their options to relocate to what will be the primary English speaking state left in the EU.....in that scenario it would be a dereliction of duty by civil servants, government spokespersons, the IDA...NOT to point out to potential start ups that the south would be a better option due to the uncertainty caused by the leave decision.....
Just by the way, is there ANYONE who disagrees with the assessment that there is uncertainty.....my own workplace has met with us in the past week and basically put the whip to our back because they work in Sterling and it's costing them more to pay us, and I've heard of several instances of companies putting plans on hold or postponing..... bluffing is pointless after the voters have spoken..

Ireniall

Heard a wee bit of this on the woeful Finucane while driving today....she made these comments at a DUP conference, yes?
Hard to know if it's even worthwhile pointing out, but she was playing to the gallery..taking the opportunity to reinofrce the point that the Fenians are at the gates and they are ever watchful and defending their wee country.....
As things stand, whether IDA or other agencies are being mischievous or not.....most people seem to agree that the financial institutions have a problem with the British vote to leave the EU and a substantial number are exploring their options to relocate to what will be the primary English speaking state left in the EU.....in that scenario it would be a dereliction of duty by civil servants, government spokespersons, the IDA...NOT to point out to potential start ups that the south would be a better option due to the uncertainty caused by the leave decision.....
Just by the way, is there ANYONE who disagrees with the assessment that there is uncertainty.....my own workplace has met with us in the past week and basically put the whip to our back because they work in Sterling and it's costing them more to pay us, and I've heard of several instances of companies putting plans on hold or postponing..... bluffing is pointless after the voters have spoken..
Yes she's blowing hard for the convention but she's come back with more tripe tonight saying that they'll have the 12.5% CT rate to match the south next year. I kid you not. They'll be able to claim the CT rate for one year before they'll likely be forced out of the EU and then no one will want their 12 and a half anyway. Maybe she's hoping for particularly short-term investment. Unless NI is indulged by the EU and separates itself from the rest of the UK in some fashion or other it is going to be unable to attract FDI anyway because any FDI which wants to locate in the UK will go to the other place. Most of the FDI will want to be in the EU and will be coming south anyway. And where you work is being repeated across the country. Companies selling into GB are taking a hammering and we need to be on our game because I suspect many are not going to last the distance and we will need replacements. I feel like crying really. Those poor poor Dupers . They don't deserve it really . It's just heart breaking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ireniall

Cherry picking nonsense.

If you take Europe as a whole, then:

Among the 75 regions below the 75% level, fifteen were in Poland, nine in Greece, seven each in the Czech Republic and Romania, six in Hungary, five each in Bulgaria and Italy, four each in Portugal and the United Kingdom, three in Slovakia, two each in Spain, France and Croatia, one in Slovenia, as well as in the single region Member States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

So four of the 75 poorest regions are in UK

None of the 20 poorest are in UK

Try looking at the data without the bias.
So it looks like you're slightly above Portugal-a country that had a dictator up to the 1970s and I see that you've added Greece to the list of hapless Iron Curtain countries with whom you'd like to compare yourself. Jayses you're shameless.

O

Oscurito

So the Dublin government has been trying to help NI companies but ungrateful Arlene Foster has to vent her spleen anyway - just to show the Free Prezzies of the DUP that she's a brain-dead hardliner like them even if she is C of I.

TRADE missions from the Republic have included representatives from Northern Ireland on 15 occasions, despite Arlene Foster’s claims of “poaching” by the southern government.
Northern Ireland firms included in 15 Republic trade missions, figures show - The Irish News

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies