NI Conservatives - a party of relevance?

Irish-Rationalist

NI Conservatives are the section of the Conservative and Unionist Party of the UK, which unlike the British Labour party, operate in NI. The party has an embarrassingly small support base, only managing to attract 0.4% of the vote in the NI Assembly election 2016.

They stood in 16 out of the 18 NI constituencies at the 2015 GE, although most of their candidates came from outside NI. Although the Conservative party won a majority of seats UK-wide, in NI the party received just 1.3% of the vote and failed to win any seats.

NI Conservatives performance from 1989 to present in NI local government elections:

1989 - 0.8% of the vote
1993 - 1.0% of the vote
1997 - 0.4% of the vote
2001 - 0.3% of the vote
2005 - 0.2% of the vote
2011 - 0.2% of the vote
2014 - 0.4% of the vote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Conservatives

Contrast the above consistently dismal electoral performance with that of Sinn Fein, a party whose paramilitary wing sustained a 30 year campaign to end the undemocratic partition of Ireland and remove NI from the UK:

1989 - 11.2% of the vote
1993 - 12% of the vote
1997 - 17% of the vote
2001 - 21% of the vote
2005 - 23.2% of the vote
2011 - 24.8% of the vote
2014 - 22.7% of the vote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinn_Féin

As is evident, even before the 1994 PIRA ceasefire and the 1998 GFA, Sinn Fein's percentage of the vote greatly exceeded and surpassed that of the NI Conservatives.

It is obvious that NI Conservatives are a deeply unpopular and woefully unsuccessful regional party, with a party whose paramilitary wing is attributable for the deaths of hundreds being much more electorally successful.

With a paltry and embarrassing 0.4% of the vote in the the most recent NI Assembly election, and not one single seat, they are clearly a political pygmy and a total irrelevance within NI politics.

So why do they persist in existence?

belfast1981

The problem with NI Conservatives is a lot of their candidates are not actually from Northern Ireland and most have addresses listed as in England (Usually London) They have 0 connection to the area, or to the people they are running for.

In contrast, the parties running here are from the area, know the people, are familiar with how the area works.

I attended a few hustings events in 2015 in the run up to the election. The lady running for NI Conservatives was from England and clearly out of her depth. She was constantly stumped on local matters and was seemingly a little overwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong, personally she did seem nice, and was well spoken (even if I dislike her party) just completely unprepared for NI.

It was similar for a good few other NIC members who were running.

They do have a few from NI. But they also have the stigma of being part of the larger Tory party in England, and on both sides of the community here they are not very well liked.

Edit: Upon further digging, only 5 of the 16 candidates were from NI

http://sluggerotoole.com/2015/04/15/ni-conservatives-notsponsored-by-flybe/

vivabrigada

British Tories standing in the North are a welcome development, they lose their deposit every time. What's not to like?

hollandia

British Tories standing in the North are a welcome development, they lose their deposit every time. What's not to like?
They serve a useful purpose in two ways.
1 for the govt to be ableto say that they stand candidates right across the UK.
2 local parties to say, you are completely unelectable in NI

GDPR

I would never vote for them but at the same time I wish them well because I think it would be a lot healthier if our indigenous Unionist parties were replaced by the mainland UK ones. Take the example of UKIP; if they had not been a UK wide would Henry Reily have been given the boot for being a psycho? I think not.

belfast1981

Take the example of UKIP; if they had not been a UK wide would Henry Reily have been given the boot for being a psycho? I think not.
I think he was booted more because he stood up to McNarry and his bully/A55hole attitude. They had issues about how things were handled and McNarry's ego got in the way. Same as what happened in the OO and UUP with McNarry. He causes issues where-ever he goes.

Truthfully, McNarry killed UKIP NI with his calls to expel Reily. He predicted that in losing him they would gain up to 9 MLAs and got 0 lol. He should never have been made leader of the NI section.

GDPR

I think he was booted more because he stood up to McNarry and his bully/A55hole attitude. They had issues about how things were handled and McNarry's ego got in the way. Same as what happened in the OO and UUP with McNarry. He causes issues where-ever he goes.

Truthfully, McNarry killed UKIP NI with his calls to expel Reily. He predicted that in losing him they would gain up to 9 MLAs and got 0 lol. He should never have been made leader of the NI section.
From what I heard from English people well connected in UKIP in London was McNarry was asked to control Reliy's sectarianism. Reily was incapable of doing so and so HQ- Farage say what you like aabout him but he ran a very tight ship and managed to keep a lot of disparate factions working smoothly together- ordered that he go which wasnt something McNarry was keen on given as you say Henry Reily is locally pretty popular.

There was a thread on Dissos hassling British Labour Party who were trying to set up here a while back but got it zooed. It would be good also to see the SDLP replaced by Fianna Fail.

devonish

Can't see the NI Conservatives increasing their voter numbers unless there is a total collapse of the UUP or if the UUP was to merge into the DUP. Alliance has close links with the Lib Dems, don't recall there ever being a debate on merging but I could see some merit in that. Labour really should be standing in NI and their position that the SDLP is a sister party is a total joke, I could see the Labour party under Corbyn having appeal across the sectarian divide for those left of centre who are not obsessed with the constitutional issue.

GDPR

Sinn Fein taking off in the South has I believe had a moderating effect on them.

Mickeymac

Can't see the NI Conservatives increasing their voter numbers unless there is a total collapse of the UUP or if the UUP was to merge into the DUP. Alliance has close links with the Lib Dems, don't recall there ever being a debate on merging but I could see some merit in that. Labour really should be standing in NI and their position that the SDLP is a sister party is a total joke, I could see the Labour party under Corbyn having appeal across the sectarian divide for those left of centre who are not obsessed with the constitutional issue.

Whatever happened to vote Mike,,,,,,,get Colm.............

Enigma Variations

I would never vote for them but at the same time I wish them well because I think it would be a lot healthier if our indigenous Unionist parties were replaced by the mainland UK ones. Take the example of UKIP; if they had not been a UK wide would Henry Reily have been given the boot for being a psycho? I think not.
REF, UKIP are a cheap, mindless rabble full of absolute bums. The bust-up in Brussels proved that. (I know something of the background to that row which I learned from a journalist covering the story which reflects very badly on of the main people involved in it. I cannot share the story as it is potentially libel bait in the absence of firm evidence,and would be impossible to prove without identifying the source. But my reaction on hearing it was "what an out and out scumbag!". :)
As for the tories, they way they keep losing elections/deposits as they do here and still put forward candidates for more thankless punishment election after election, they've begun to look like a local version of the Monster Raving Loony Party.

Enigma Variations

Didn't Reilly say something utterly appalling though that left them no option but to deal with him?

GDPR

REF, UKIP are a cheap, mindless rabble full of absolute bums. The bust-up in Brussels proved that. (I know something of the background to that row which I learned from a journalist covering the story which reflects very badly on of the main people involved in it. I cannot share the story as it is potentially libel bait in the absence of firm evidence,and would be impossible to prove without identifying the source. But my reaction on hearing it was "what an out and out scumbag!". :)
As for the tories, they way they keep losing elections/deposits as they do here and still put forward candidates for more thankless punishment election after election, they've begun to look like a local version of the Monster Raving Loony Party.
My point still stands that if Political Unionism had to take on board mainland UK sensibilities it would be better over all- though not in some ways- for everyone. Unlike Cruimh I dont believe that the SDLP were ever psycho though I do think in the 1970s and 80s there were psycho elements to the Shinners (note I said elements). and I do think that there taking off in the ROI has had a positive restraining effect on them (though again it has brought some negatives but that is life).

PBP voter

NI Conservatives are the section of the Conservative and Unionist Party of the UK, which unlike the British Labour party, operate in NI. The party has an embarrassingly small support base, only managing to attract 0.4% of the vote in the NI Assembly election 2016.

They stood in 16 out of the 18 NI constituencies at the 2015 GE, although most of their candidates came from outside NI. Although the Conservative party won a majority of seats UK-wide, in NI the party received just 1.3% of the vote and failed to win any seats.

NI Conservatives performance from 1989 to present in NI local government elections:

1989 - 0.8% of the vote
1993 - 1.0% of the vote
1997 - 0.4% of the vote
2001 - 0.3% of the vote
2005 - 0.2% of the vote
2011 - 0.2% of the vote
2014 - 0.4% of the vote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Conservatives

Contrast the above consistently dismal electoral performance with that of Sinn Fein, a party whose paramilitary wing sustained a 30 year campaign to end the undemocratic partition of Ireland and remove NI from the UK:

1989 - 11.2% of the vote
1993 - 12% of the vote
1997 - 17% of the vote
2001 - 21% of the vote
2005 - 23.2% of the vote
2011 - 24.8% of the vote
2014 - 22.7% of the vote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinn_Féin

As is evident, even before the 1994 PIRA ceasefire and the 1998 GFA, Sinn Fein's percentage of the vote greatly exceeded and surpassed that of the NI Conservatives.

It is obvious that NI Conservatives are a deeply unpopular and woefully unsuccessful regional party, with a party whose paramilitary wing is attributable for the deaths of hundreds being much more electorally successful.

With a paltry and embarrassing 0.4% of the vote in the the most recent NI Assembly election, and not one single seat, they are clearly a political pygmy and a total irrelevance within NI politics.

So why do they persist in existence?
SF 1921
20.5%

SF 2014
22.7%

They claim to be the same SF.

A growth of 2.2% in nearly a 100 years. Impressive stuff.

GDPR

SF 1921
20.5%

SF 2014
22.7%

They claim to be the same SF.

A growth of 2.2% in nearly a 100 years. Impressive stuff.
Actually I remember that they got their highest vote in Northern Ireland some time in the 1950s which sparked the border campaign which led to their support's collapse.

Enigma Variations

My point still stands that if Political Unionism had to take on board mainland UK sensibilities it would be better over all- though not in some ways- for everyone. Unlike Cruimh I dont believe that the SDLP were ever psycho though I do think in the 1970s and 80s there were psycho elements to the Shinners (note I said elements). and I do think that there taking off in the ROI has had a positive restraining effect on them (though again it has brought some negatives but that is life).
Political unionism has been out of kilter with British mainstream thinking since at least the 1960's and it is pretty clear that its protagonists are viewed like an embarrassing, distant relative. The condescending asides attributed to British ministers going back to the beginning of the troubles are well known. Ordinary unionists have been poorly served by their leaders over the last 5 decades, because the writing was on the wall even in the mid-1960s. The UUP have moderated somewhat over the years but still seem unsure whether put clear daylight between themselves and the DUP or to rival them by aping them.
Cruimh seems to believe that John Hume was the spawn of Satan, and even denies that there was discrimination here at any stage, so I cannot take the old duffer remotely seriously.:)

Irish-Rationalist

The problem with NI Conservatives is a lot of their candidates are not actually from Northern Ireland and most have addresses listed as in England (Usually London) They have 0 connection to the area, or to the people they are running for.

In contrast, the parties running here are from the area, know the people, are familiar with how the area works.

I attended a few hustings events in 2015 in the run up to the election. The lady running for NI Conservatives was from England and clearly out of her depth. She was constantly stumped on local matters and was seemingly a little overwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong, personally she did seem nice, and was well spoken (even if I dislike her party) just completely unprepared for NI.

It was similar for a good few other NIC members who were running.

They do have a few from NI. But they also have the stigma of being part of the larger Tory party in England, and on both sides of the community here they are not very well liked.

Edit: Upon further digging, only 5 of the 16 candidates were from NI

NI Conservatives – (not)Sponsored by FlyBe | Slugger O'Toole
Nail hit squarely on head in your first paragraph. Most of their candidates are not NI citizens. They are English, and consequently typically clueless about the complex history and the subtle nuances of NI political and sociocultural life.

They are indeed a stigmatised party and not very well liked (as are most of their supporters), and for a number of reasons:

1. Margaret Thatcher, as leader of the Conservative and Unionist party attempted a not so delicate or covert sell-out of her beloved NI British as Finchley unionists by signing the Anglo-Irish Agreement over their heads, consequently causing a huge revolt within NI unionism (Paisley's day of action et. al.).

2. NI Unionist parties (DUP and UUP) are the vast majority of NI unionists natural electoral choice, as their members are local people, they understand NI, they're in touch with local people's needs and sentiments, and unionists can thus relate to their political representatives as their own people who have their best interests at heart. The Tories don't have a heart.

3. The Tories have traditionally been perceived as the party of the self interested, greedy, egocentric, capitalist class, the multinational corporations, big business, the South of England social and political elite, and generally despised by left and centre-left parties and individuals throughout the UK, and particularly in northern Britain and here in NI.

4. Conservative secretaries of state for NI have consistently failed to develop a genuine rapport with NI political leaders. Throughout 50 years of unionist misgovernance the Tories took a do what is needed but keep them at arm's length approach to NI politicos. Even Theresa Villiers spectacularly failed to develop any meaningful relationship with any of NIs political representatives during her tenure as SOS.

5. The Conservatives are set to trigger Article 50 and drag NI out of the EU against the democratic wishes of the people who live here. A move viewed by many economists, politicians and political and social analysts as having disastrous socioeconomic connotations for the region.

6. The people of NI, Protestant and Catholic, and the parties here, Nationalist and Unionist (with the exception of the UUP) take a generally dim and scornful view of the distastefully snobby and elitist Eton-Oxbridge old boys network which is the British Conservative party.

between the bridges

And the prize for the mostest tedious boring brainfart dribbling drivelling sh1te OP ever seen in the history of tedious boring brainfart dribbling drivelling sh1te OP's goes to...

death or glory

And the prize for the mostest tedious boring brainfart dribbling drivelling sh1te OP ever seen in the history of tedious boring brainfart dribbling drivelling sh1te OP's goes to...
Swords?????????

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies