• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ni selling conflict resolution

Gurdiev

Article in The Economist this week . Is it really true ? Time for Pie contributers to get on message ?

Selling conflict resolution
The peace progress
Northern Ireland has become a prolific exporter of advice
BELFAST

FOR many years Northern Ireland was a large net importer of advice on how to end its troubles. Nelson Mandela tried to reconcile unionists and republicans in 1997, although he was not wholly successful: the two camps were so hostile to each other that South Africa’s then president had to address them separately. An American former senator, George Mitchell, prodded paramilitary groups to decommission their weapons. Those efforts helped turn Northern Ireland into a mostly peaceful place. And the trade in counsel has reversed spectacularly.
And the link ....

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21571423-northern-ireland-has-become-prolific-exporter-advice-peace-progress

Last edited:

Gurdiev

No replies.....is this what Norway feels like at the Eurovision song contest ....null points

TiredOfBeingTired

This all seems a nice little money spinning racket.

Bertie used to charge $40k for a speech.
How long left for the Bertie Earners?

Northern Ireland isnt mentioned on the Bertie link.
But then again he seems to have dropped the "How to Manage the Celtic Tiger" speech.
Note that the link to Washington Speakers is dead.

between the bridges

The problem with the huge and i mean huge 'peace industry' in NI is if they say that there is peace they (and one of my irons) are out of a job!!!

GDPR

Afaik this "Peace selling" was started by SF with MMG doing a bit of globetrotting business on the subject. Lord Alderdice and Donaldson just followed on, realising how much money could be made if they followed the Blair et al mode of business.

I remember that Gerry Adams and Bertie Ahern attended the same conference. Gerry only charged for expenses while Bertie got a huge sum (US$000s) as well.

RedCloud

Afaik this "Peace selling" was started by SF with MMG doing a bit of globetrotting business on the subject. Lord Alderdice and Donaldson just followed on, realising how much money could be made if they followed the Blair et al mode of business.

I remember that Gerry Adams and Bertie Ahern attended the same conference. Gerry only charged for expenses while Bertie got a huge sum (US$000s) as well.
jaysus, (baby variety) Bertie under charged there, begorra ? :)

Popular Threads

Most Replies