NI Solution: An enclave for Evangelical Protestants in Scotland

SilverSpurs

Could this be a viable option? Annex a region of Scotland e.g. the Kirk church bible belt in between Edinburgh and Glasgow and make it a self governing region of the UK. This would offer evangelical protestants a homeland where they could live their lives according to the King James Bible and their 17th century conspiracy theories. Rational people in NI can then get on with the real world and negotiate a fair and reasonable future. Existing residents of this region could be offered financial incentives to relocate. This enclave would be subsidised by the UK budget with a contribution from Dublin.

idle tim

Could this be a viable option? Annex a region of Scotland e.g. the Kirk church bible belt in between Edinburgh and Glasgow and make it a self governing region of the UK. This would offer evangelical protestants a homeland where they could live their lives according to the King James Bible and their 17th century conspiracy theories. Rational people in NI can then get on with the real world and negotiate a fair and reasonable future. Existing residents of this region could be offered financial incentives to relocate. This enclave would be subsidised by the UK budget with a contribution from Dublin.
Been to Glasgow an Edinburgh many times,i never realised or hear'd there was a bible belt,,,,not that i would be looking out for it.

sondagefaux

Annex a region of Scotland e.g. the Kirk church bible belt in between Edinburgh and Glasgow
What? What Bible belt between Edinburgh and Glasgow? The only parts of Scotland where there's a high percentage of socially conservative, strongly religious people in communities is the Western Isles, especially Lewis, also the part of Scotland with the highest proportion of Gaelic speakers.

If you think that the towns and villages between Glasgow and Edinburgh constitute Scotland's Bible belt then you're clearly ignorant of Scotland.

BTW, your idea is daft, unworkable, illegal under national and international law and would amount to ethnic cleansing.

slx

I think you're forgetting that scotland is a progressive, modern country that doesn't really give a toss about this stuff anymore.

What would happen to the normal scottish locals who live there? Are you sugesting chucking them out? Can't see that happening !!

Also, moving people around based on religion sounds a bit like non legal ethic cleansing!!!

Sync

I'm sure there have been stupider ideas offered here, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. As a poster mentioned, it's basically ethnic cleansing.

TommyO'Brien

Either this is a p*ss take or you are on drugs.

oboe

I think we can assume the OP was in jest.

Would be a good place for the Plastic Jocks to go on holiday though.

Fides

OP also shows their ignorance of Evangelical Protestants. They are not a homogenous group. A small example is many would use more modern translations of the Bible like the NIV.

Aristodemus

Stupid idea. I didnt think that evangelical protestants were a "problem" as they are for the most part law abiding citizens

Chrisco

Probably the stupidest suggestion I've seen on this site.
I agree, and there has been some stupendous competition.

The Central Belt of Scotland isn't even evangelically religious: it's where the highest concentrations of Catholics are to be found.

Kevin Doyle

What? What Bible belt between Edinburgh and Glasgow? The only parts of Scotland where there's a high percentage of socially conservative, strongly religious people in communities is the Western Isles, especially Lewis, also the part of Scotland with the highest proportion of Gaelic speakers.

If you think that the towns and villages between Glasgow and Edinburgh constitute Scotland's Bible belt then you're clearly ignorant of Scotland.

BTW, your idea is daft, unworkable, illegal under national and international law and would amount to ethnic cleansing.
+1

As much as I dislike any religious fundementalist, they can live and practice their faith (within a legal context) wherever they like.

cry freedom

I've a better idea.
Why don't we send you back to Cloud Cuckoo Land, where you obviously hail from?

Robo

What would you do about the atheists like my self, there is only a few 1000 at best Evangelical Protestants to be shipped out?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies