Nicola Sturgeon: the number one hate-figure for English nationalists.

O

Oscurito

Julie Miller seems to be a pretty normal kind of lass; working in a not-so-special job with a few hundred friends on Facebook - many of whom she's possibly never met. In other words - and I mean absolutely nothing derogatory about this - she comes across as a typical Josephine Soap, in the same way that I'm happy to consider myself a typical Joe Soap.

When Julie posted a humorous comment (the punchline is a bit longwinded but the choice of photo is very clever) about the result of the England-Scotland match at the weekend, she probably never imagined just how viral it would go. It's been shared 20,000 times (still going strong) and the joke has appeared in various different forms on other media.

The butt of the joke is Nicola Sturgeon, leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party, and is based on her recent comments about rerunning the Scottish independence referendum. A lot of the comments are so intense, it seems that people are taking the story as true or at least, they're in that grey area in which they want the story to be true.

Nicola Sturgeon comes across as one of the most articulate and capable politicians in these islands. Of all the political leaders in the UK, she seemed to be the only one who had an actual plan to respond to the "Yes" vote in the Brexit referendum. The plan is clearly to frustrate the Brexit process and to exploit the result to the maximum to get independence for Scotland and a lot of people south of Hadrian's Wall don't like that. That's politics, folks. She's also a woman and while people are happy to accept pushiness from male politicians, the same attributes in female politicians seem to provoke intense ire.

She's increasingly becoming a focus of hatred for English nationalists and pro-Brexiteers and in the right-wing English media, articles about her are uniformly negative. One way or another, she's going to need a thick skin over the next few years.

ger12

Both Sturgeon and Salmond have raised the bar considerably higher in leadership terms, rising higher than their English and indeed international counterparts.

Scotland should be very proud producing politicians of this calibre.

Herr Rommel

Both Sturgeon and Salmond have raised the bar considerably higher in leadership terms, rising higher than their English and indeed international counterparts.

But the Scottish people were more than happy to remain within the U.K. When they had the chance to leave.

PBP voter

Julie Miller seems to be a pretty normal kind of lass; working in a not-so-special job with a few hundred friends on Facebook - many of whom she's possibly never met. In other words - and I mean absolutely nothing derogatory about this - she comes across as a typical Josephine Soap, in the same way that I'm happy to consider myself a typical Joe Soap.

When Julie posted a humorous comment (the punchline is a bit longwinded but the choice of photo is very clever) about the result of the England-Scotland match at the weekend, she probably never imagined just how viral it would go. It's been shared 20,000 times (still going strong) and the joke has appeared in various different forms on other media.

The butt of the joke is Nicola Sturgeon, leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party, and is based on her recent comments about rerunning the Scottish independence referendum. A lot of the comments are so intense, it seems that people are taking the story as true or at least, they're in that grey area in which they want the story to be true.

Nicola Sturgeon comes across as one of the most articulate and capable politicians in these islands. Of all the political leaders in the UK, she seemed to be the only one who had an actual plan to respond to the "Yes" vote in the Brexit referendum. The plan is clearly to frustrate the Brexit process and to exploit the result to the maximum to get independence for Scotland and a lot of people south of Hadrian's Wall don't like that. That's politics, folks. She's also a woman and while people are happy to accept pushiness from male politicians, the same attributes in female politicians seem to provoke intense ire.

She's increasingly becoming a focus of hatred for English nationalists and pro-Brexiteers and in the right-wing English media, articles about her are uniformly negative. One way or another, she's going to need a thick skin over the next few years.
I think you mean British nationalists.

English nationalists want to dump the Scottish leeches.

ger12

She's also coming to Dublin in a couple of weeks, to address the Seanad (I'd love to be there ;)).

O

Oscurito

Perhaps that's part of the reason for the intense dislike.

Compare them to that bumbling idiot, Boris Johnson, who seems to hold diametrically opposite views on every issue that matters (see his recent comments on Trump) and you wonder how the same island can produce individuals of such contrasting competence and ability.

ger12

But the Scottish people were more than happy to remain within the U.K. When they had the chance to leave.
They are not interested in leaving the EU however.

Are you afraid they would vote differently when they go back to this question?

ger12

Herr Rommel

They are not interested in leaving the EU however.

Are you afraid they would vote differently when they go back to this question?
Scotland has always been the backwards half brother of England and they will do as they are told make no mistake.

O

Oscurito

I think you mean British nationalists.

English nationalists want to dump the Scottish leeches.
I think there's a lot of overlap there. You'll see in newspapers such as the Daily Mail and the Daily Express a very strange attitude of carping about Scottish people even while they argue against Scottish independence.

PBP voter

ger12

Perhaps that's part of the reason for the intense dislike.

Compare them to that bumbling idiot, Boris Johnson, who seems to hold diametrically opposite views on every issue that matters (see his recent comments on Trump) and you wonder how the same island can produce individuals of such contrasting competence and ability.
I like Boris. I wouldn't put him in charge mind.

ger12

ger12

ger12

Scotland has always been the backwards half brother of England and they will do as they are told make no mistake.
Golly, they come accross as a nicer crowd somehow. They'll do as told eh ...

PBP voter

GDPR

Theres a fair amount of whang-doodle talked about the Scots vote for Remain showing the country is now set on Independence.

In reality, Scotland had the lowest turn-out in the Referendum after NI and the results show a similar trend to the rest of the UK: the have-nots in the rural areas were shakier on the EU than those living in more urban areas with greater concentrations of wealth. If more Scots had channelled their supposed passion for the EU into getting off their arses and voting for it, then the UK might never have left.

This is one of many reasons why Sturgeon is seen as an opportunist. She has to pounce on BREXIT and make it work to power another Referendum, in order to give Independence a sense of urgency which being a boring centrist govt in Holyrood wont generate.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies