• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group

mothball

Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group - Telegraph

President Sarkozy and the Conservative Leader were involved in a series of heated exchanges after Mr Cameron left the European People's Party, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Mr Sarkozy is said to have told Mr Cameron: "C'est fou, il se fait mal à la tête," meaning "It's stupid, you're giving yourself a headache."

Senior sources in Brussels revealed the exchanges which took place in the wake of Mr Cameron's pulling his Conservative MEPs out of the centre-right EPP grouping in June in order to fulfil a pledge made during his leadership campaign in 2005.

The decision went down badly with other mainstream European leaders including Angela Merkel of Germany, who threatened to withhold co-operation from the Conservatives.

Ms Merkel's Christian Democrat Union party recalled its London representative Thomas Stehling to Germany in protest at the move.

Everything I’ve read about Cameron makes me mistrust him when it comes to European affairs. However, the fact that he has pulled out of the EPP is certainly something that British voters can be pleased about. He promised it almost four years ago and pressure is now on him to promise a Lisbon referendum whether it has been enforced or not.
The next year will be quite interesting.

setanta

Daily Torygraph willfully mistranslates the words of the French President. The French phrase "c'est fou" means "that's mad" in exaclty the same way the phrase would be used in Ireland, or Britain for that matter.

More innacurate reporting by a europhobic, English nationalist newspaper to put the worst spin on Sarko's comments to Cameron.

mothball

Yeah; really don't care about the source. It's the facts that count. The conservatives have left the EPP.

greengoose2

Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group - Telegraph

President Sarkozy and the Conservative Leader were involved in a series of heated exchanges after Mr Cameron left the European People's Party, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Mr Sarkozy is said to have told Mr Cameron: "C'est fou, il se fait mal à la tête," meaning "It's stupid, you're giving yourself a headache."

Senior sources in Brussels revealed the exchanges which took place in the wake of Mr Cameron's pulling his Conservative MEPs out of the centre-right EPP grouping in June in order to fulfil a pledge made during his leadership campaign in 2005.

The decision went down badly with other mainstream European leaders including Angela Merkel of Germany, who threatened to withhold co-operation from the Conservatives.

Ms Merkel's Christian Democrat Union party recalled its London representative Thomas Stehling to Germany in protest at the move.

Everything I’ve read about Cameron makes me mistrust him when it comes to European affairs. However, the fact that he has pulled out of the EPP is certainly something that British voters can be pleased about. He promised it almost four years ago and pressure is now on him to promise a Lisbon referendum whether it has been enforced or not.
The next year will be quite interesting.
Change your title. The translation is "It's crazy, he's giving himself a headache"...

Pinched from Wikipaedia:

Chamberlain landed at Heston Aerodrome on 30 September 1938, and spoke to the crowds there:

"...the settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine (waves paper to the crowd - receiving loud cheers and "Hear Hears"). Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you (proceeds to read the agreement). [...] We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again."[3]

Later that day he stood outside Number 10 Downing Street and again read from the document and concluded:

"My good friends, this is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time [emphasis added]. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And now I recommend you to go home and sleep quietly in your beds."
You can fool some of the people some of the time....

The Caped Cod

Fou means crazy, not stupid

Breadan O'Connor

mothball;2160580 Everything I’ve read about Cameron makes me mistrust him when it comes to European affairs. However said:
In the end I decided to vote yes to Lisbon because I noticed how people like Ganley and Nigel Farrage, who wouldn't normally give a fig about the Irish people were expending such energy on getting us to vote no. Likewise with the Murdoch newspapers.

My reasoning was to put the ball in the British court and let them block Lisbon if they wish.

It's Cameron's headache now!

wombat

My reasoning was to put the ball in the British court and let them block Lisbon if they wish.

It's Cameron's headache now!
The Brits are basically hostile to the EU as anything other than a free trade area. Our interests are not the same as the UK's and most Irish people see the EU as being a positive influence.

DizzyOC

The Brits are basically hostile to the EU as anything other than a free trade area. Our interests are not the same as the UK's and most Irish people see the EU as being a positive influence.
that is all should ever have been... this hugely expensive, rudderless, directionless gravey-train should have been put to the sword by now. it is a self serving black hole for european tax-payers money. a trade area was good enough. nada mas porfaaaaa!

wombat

that is all should ever have been... this hugely expensive, rudderless, directionless gravey-train should have been put to the sword by now. it is a self serving black hole for european tax-payers money. a trade area was good enough. nada mas porfaaaaa!
That is a minority view in this country but you're free to try and persuade people that you're correct.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Typical of that arrogant bully Sarkozy.
In the end I decided to vote yes to Lisbon because I noticed how people like Ganley and Nigel Farrage, who wouldn't normally give a fig about the Irish people were expending such energy on getting us to vote no. Likewise with the Murdoch newspapers.
Ganley is Irish. We had a referendum on what Irishnes was in the Citizenship referendum, and Ganley falls into that category as do probably 500,000 Irish citizens born abroad to Irish parents. Irishness is an ethnicity, and it is not racist to say that.

Albert Aherne

I'm hoping that Cameron really damages the EU with British non stop hostility in the near future so that finally the EU will be forced to do what they should have done years ago and man up and "invite" Britain to withdraw from the EU and have the same trading relations with them as we have with any other outsider.....no special arrangements.And the same goes for any other country who is consistently negative. Get them out so the rest of us can continue with the Great European Project.No more war in Europe.

ms a

The Lisbon treaty has an undeniably large military element to it, & it seems the European commission are determined to increase the armaments industry in Europe as well as become a major military force. Also, merging countries without consent of citizens has a good record of causing civil wars sooner or later.......

Socratus O' Pericles

Any truth in the rumour that Steven Crabbe is anti-SSM and some kind of xtian fundamentalist.