• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

McSlaggart

The DUP aren't the only ones looking forward to Northern Ireland's 100th birthday in 2021.

The TUV published a lengthy wishlist, ranging from a visit by the Queen to a fly past by the Red Arrows via the issue of special commemorative stamps and coins.

Even at a time of pandemic, then, thoughts are turning to the centenary celebrations. The problem is, of course, that not everyone will view 2021 as something to celebrate.

Are we marking the birth of a new state or the partition of an island?

One could equally say its the year of the Irish passport.

StormWarning

Dilemma for Alliance in how to respond to the centenary. If there response is engagement with wishy-washy verbiage that we all made it this far so letz show the world we can make a better go of it 'onwards and better', they may lose half their younger support mostly thinking positively about a UI. As opposed to this and they're extremely lukewarm, ignoring it all then isn't that acknowledging that NI is and always will be only cherished by lovers of the crown.

Likewise more liberal Unionists will be aware that if the occasion is marked with triumphalist gloating and OTT flagwaving that this will only dililusion more of the neutrals and bring a backlash, its form being demand for immediate reunification refernedum.

For myself, I wonder what is the point of a state and what legitimacy does it have if you can't even enthuasiastically celebrate its centenary without peeving a majority of its residents?

It proabably turnout to have been a sayanora to the age of imperialism on our island as it precipitates the beginning of a genuine renasissance of cooperation and innovation, culture flourishing....
20 years time look out for the Cú Chulainn Hurling Club on the Shankill Road.

raetsel

The DUP aren't the only ones looking forward to Northern Ireland's 100th birthday in 2021.

The TUV published a lengthy wishlist, ranging from a visit by the Queen to a fly past by the Red Arrows via the issue of special commemorative stamps and coins.

Even at a time of pandemic, then, thoughts are turning to the centenary celebrations. The problem is, of course, that not everyone will view 2021 as something to celebrate.

The Orange Order etc. will no doubt mark the event along with the various unionist parties, who will try to big it up as much as possible, but that's about it. It will come and go and we will barely notice it other than they'll have some special bunting.
I doubt if you will see any commemorative stamps to be honest. Bureaucratic officialdom in Britain is finally learning that neutrality
is always the best policy over here e.g. the refusal by the DVLA to extend the redesign of driving licences to include the Union Jack to us. If the queen does come over her visit will not be politicised in the way the TUV would wish it.

StormWarning

The Orange Order etc. will no doubt mark the event along with the various unionist parties, who will try to big it up as much as possible, but that's about it. It will come and go and we will barely notice it other than they'll have some special bunting.
I doubt if you will see any commemorative stamps to be honest. Bureaucratic officialdom in Britain is finally learning that neutrality
is always the best policy over here e.g. the refusal by the DVLA to extend the redesign of driving licences to include the Union Jack to us. If the queen does come over her visit will not be politicised in the way the TUV would wish it.
But now is not the time to get rid of this unloved, artificial statelet with a reunification referendum?

Gin Soaked

Ok, they probably have to do something, but even from a unionist perspective, this centenary will land as the reality of Brexit lands at NI ports, and (if it all goes horribly wrong), the uk border with the south.

Every brexit impact will scream that this is an unsustainable statelet whose "loyal" inhabitants have been dumped on by mother England.

The hubris will be too much to bear. At least the Twelfth has an annual tradition justifying its continuance.

This will just look pathetic.

Round tower

Last edited:
Last edited:

The DUP are less of a nut case than the TUV, just listening to it's leader Jim Allister, if he had his way the catholics would be still back in the 60's

raetsel

between the bridges

McSlaggart

“I brought this motion not to divide but to reflect on and to celebrate all that is good about our magnificent country and to highlight all those things that unite us
“There is a great opportunity to not just to celebrate our rich industrial heritage but to look to the potential of business, the economy and industry in Northern Ireland,
“Any celebration agreed for Northern Ireland’s 100th birthday should reflect on its great strengths and on what makes Northern Ireland a great place to live, work, visit and invest in. Sometimes we forget this, but we have a wonderful, rich and vibrant industrial heritage in this part of the world. We should be immensely proud of people from here, and the entrepreneurial spirit shown

“We also have excelled in the world of sport producing the world’s best. We only have to think of George Best, Alex Higgins, Rory McIlroy, Jonathan Rea and Colin Turkington to name but only a few

You can say a lot of things about "northern Ireland" but calling it a "magnificent country" would not be an international assessment of the place. Northern Ireland does not have a rich industrial heritage as what was has slowly declined since partition. Of the great sporting starts I only know 3 and two of them are more famous for having talent and not making the most of it.

General Urko

Celebrating the centenary of the birth of The Jaffa Statelette would be akin to going to the birthday party of a child, whom you know for the good of all concerned, should have been aborted before it was born!

General Urko

“I brought this motion not to divide but to reflect on and to celebrate all that is good about our magnificent country and to highlight all those things that unite us
“There is a great opportunity to not just to celebrate our rich industrial heritage but to look to the potential of business, the economy and industry in Northern Ireland,
“Any celebration agreed for Northern Ireland’s 100th birthday should reflect on its great strengths and on what makes Northern Ireland a great place to live, work, visit and invest in. Sometimes we forget this, but we have a wonderful, rich and vibrant industrial heritage in this part of the world. We should be immensely proud of people from here, and the entrepreneurial spirit shown

“We also have excelled in the world of sport producing the world’s best. We only have to think of George Best, Alex Higgins, Rory McIlroy, Jonathan Rea and Colin Turkington to name but only a few

You can say a lot of things about "northern Ireland" but calling it a "magnificent country" would not be an international assessment of the place. Northern Ireland does not have a rich industrial heritage as what was has slowly declined since partition. Of the great sporting starts I only know 3 and two of them are more famous for having talent and not making the most of it.
The Nordies produced Best, Higgins and Van the Man as well as some other notable sportspersons and a few writers!
And a few Nobel prize recipients.
However, if it was out on its own, which I believe it should be, as that senator's research paper said it would rank at about the level of Moldova!

Dame_Enda

The big send off?

bang bang

The DUP are less of a nut case than the TUV, just listening to it's leader Jim Allister, if he had his way the catholics would be still back in the 60's
He's nothing but a sectarian scumbag. The days of him and his ilk are mostly gone thankfully.

raetsel

Another delusional minor DUP functionary who wastes his time on irrelevancies rather than representing the material interests of the people he represents. We live in a deeply dysfunctional state, with the albatross of eternal division hung around its neck. The hope of creating a single pro-British identity will never be realised. So we are condemned to live with this nonsense until we find a solution that doesn't involve lunatics with guns.

Sidewindered

Yeah that "rich industrial heritage" that was built on denying Catholics any jobs at all and exploiting the bejaysus out of the Loyalist proletariat, that was so badly run most of it collapsed in the 1950s just 30 years after Unionism got their hands on their Wee Pravince - in the middle of one of the biggest global industrial expansions in history :unsure:

StormWarning

There are some of supposedly nationalist disposition advocating we wait another generation or 2 for a reunification referendum. The arguement being that a referendum will increase instability and probably lead to pogroms against isolated cnr communities. So loyalist threats are rewarded and its seems these proponents of delay are putting off a ref until there is a super-majority for change. I wonder how large that would need to be before it outweighs threats from the UDA drug lords or TUV antediviluvians.

Another matter worth considering is what happens to the hardcore westminster loyalist elements in Ayrshire/Lanarkshire etc in the event of Scottish independence. Its hardly outlandish to suggest that a sizeable cohort of these Scottish Orange extremists could end up in Ireland and where then the stability the status-quo element in the 6 counties crave.

Northern Ireland is an abomination. It is inherently unstable. Ironically it could well be status-quo moderates prepared to continue with the failed-experiment in partition, delaying inevitable reunification, who may very well precipitate a return to widespread conflict as Westminster last colony is flooded with the diehard imperialist supremacists taking revenge on Irish nationlalists whose ideology inspired Scotland to embrace freedom.

Sidewindered

There are some of supposedly nationalist disposition advocating we wait another generation or 2 for a reunification referendum. The arguement being that a referendum will increase instability and probably lead to pogroms against isolated cnr communities. So loyalist threats are rewarded and its seems these proponents of delay are putting off a ref until there is a super-majority for change. I wonder how large that would need to be before it outweighs threats from the UDA drug lords or TUV antediviluvians.
I've spent decades arguing with these sorts and inevitably, without fail, in exactly 100% of cases, the people who persist with these lines of "argument" are basically what is now called "concern trolls" online

i.e. they lead off with "of course I want a United Ireland BUT"

i.e. which isn't a million miles from "I'm not a racist BUT"

i.e. they are fncking liars, plain and simple.

There will always be something to be "concerned" about, some straw to clutch at, some imaginary bogeyman to be "afraid" of, some other half-assed excuse for inaction and delay. These people are actively opposed to Unification, but like to pretend otherwise with some mealy-mouthed hand-wringing middle-class pearl-clutching about their "concerns".

There are some people who are genuinely interested and engaged in working out the details and who like to discuss policy and details and the nitty-gritty of how changes A B and C could be implemented in practice, but these people present in a completely different way to the "concern trolls" who simply aren't interested in policy and implementation and details, and just spout uninformed fearmongering gibberish and refuse to back down from their pet bogeymen even when thoroughly and totally debunked.

Ignore the concern trolls, their only purpose is to spread FUD

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom