"No Blacks Allowed" in Temple Bar Pub !!!???

Socratus O' Pericles

This reminds me of the day I had deja vu.

T

Thomas_..

Buskers Bar in Temple Bar investigating after students refused entry told 'no blacks allowed'

This report in Journal.ie is of three students from South Africa who were refused admission to a pub in Temple Bar with the bouncer saying openly "No Blacks Allowed".

Worse: the manager, when eventually located, supported the bouncer's action and said that they didn't have to give a reason for refusing entry.

Worse again: The Gardai, when a complaint was made, said that racial discrimination was not a criminal offence (??!!) and there was nothing the Gardai could do for the complainants.

Apparently, the matter was raised on Liveline on RTE Radio, though not (yet) in the Dail.

This is Ireland 2016.....
That reminds me on the film "the guard" where Sgt. Gerry Boyle says: "I´m Irish, racism is parat of my culture".

Seriously, what the bouncer said was apparently racist, no doubts at all.

Prester Jim

Isn't this an allegation against several specific people without any definitive proof? Couldn't this thread be seen as defamation?
Perhaps better not having it mainstream on the site, especially since it seems deeply unlikely that bouncers and a bar manager of such a long established place as Buskers would be so incredibly stupid as to do this?
Doesn't mean it is impossible of course but the story does seem highly unlikely.

Prester Jim

That reminds me on the film "the guard" where Sgt. Gerry Boyle says: "I´m Irish, racism is parat of my culture".

Allegedly.

Cato

That reminds me on the film "the guard" where Sgt. Gerry Boyle says: "I´m Irish, racism is parat of my culture". Seriously, what the bouncer said was apparently racist, no doubts at all.
The Gardaí don't have a roll in enforcing the various equality acts. Such complaints should be made to the Workplace Relations Commission and assistance may be sought from the IHREC.

Rural

What the bouncer apparently said was racist, no doubt at all.

T

Thomas_..

Isn't this an allegation against several specific people without any definitive proof? Couldn't this thread be seen as defamation?
Perhaps better not having it mainstream on the site, especially since it seems deeply unlikely that bouncers and a bar manager of such a long established place as Buskers would be so incredibly stupid as to do this?
Doesn't mean it is impossible of course but the story does seem highly unlikely.
I don´t see it that way. If a bouncer thinks that he doesn´t like your face, he won´t let you in and that´s it.

T

Thomas_..

The Gardaí don't have a roll in enforcing the various equality acts. Such complaints should be made to the Workplace Relations Commission and assistance may be sought from the IHREC.
Well, it´s up to the owner of the Pub who he lets in and who not. That´s the decision made on the ground of a private run locality. On the other hand, I´d find it strange if the Gardaí would refuse to take a filed complaint from the offended on the basis of a racist intended insult. Without that "no blacks allowed", there wouldn´t be a fuss anyway.

Cato

I know a head nightclub bouncer very well. They are trained to give bland reasons for why somebody can't get in "regulars only" "sorry not tonight buddy" "you've had a bit to drink" ect. They certainly discriminate, every bar and club is going for a certain look but I find it very difficult to believe that a temple bar pub bouncer would say"no blacks". There's no doubt that some of them think it but saying it is entirely different
As I've said on another thread, I used to manage a pub and like all pubs we exercised discrimination as to who we let in, but the door staff and bar staff we're firmly instructed, except in the case of age, they were not to give a reason for refusing entry or service.

It should be noted that while pubs discriminate, much of that discrimination is within the bounds of the law.

Cato

Well, it´s up to the owner of the Pub who he lets in and who not. That´s the decision made on the ground of a private run locality. On the other hand, I´d find it strange if the Gardaí would refuse to take a filed complaint from the offended on the basis of a racist intended insult. Without that "no blacks allowed", there wouldn´t be a fuss anyway.
As I've said, the Gardaí do not take complaints or have any role in taking complaints, under the various equality acts.

raspberry tea

Thus far it is an accusation,he has been refused that's all we know,nobody can come forward with concrete evidence,until then it is just hearsay,a drunk (who happens to be a blackman) capitalising on that erroneous race card....I don't think anyone would refuse somone because they were from a different ethnic group,because it would greatly damage their business and endanger their employment prospects...Nobody can come up with a reason why or the leading dialogue up to the refusal of entry of this guy...

Cato

Yes, yes, you already said that. Good bye.
So why then do you find the alleged actions of the Garda in this case to be "strange"?

Sister Mercedes

As I've said, the Gardaí do not take complaints or have any role in taking complaints, under the various equality acts.
They don't seem to get involved in much at all. Much that is considered police activity in other countries is 'nothing to do with us, that's a civil matter' in Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies