"No Blacks Allowed" in Temple Bar Pub !!!???

Had 327

I hope their stay in Ireland was not too negatively impacted by this event.

Cato

They don't seem to get involved in much at all. Much that is considered police activity in other countries is 'nothing to do with us, that's a civil matter' in Ireland.
In this case, the blame lies with the Oireachtas who enacted the legislation, rather than the Gardaí.

amsterdemmetje

Im doing the Job up to 15 years as ive said on the other threads IMHO there wasn't a hope in hell that a Bouncer of 13 years experience said such a thing out loud.

Cato

Im doing the Job up to 15 years as ive said on the other threads IMHO there wasn't a hope in hell that a Bouncer of 13 years experience said such a thing out loud.
That's the thing. I can accept that there are racist bars, and racist door staff out there, but I find it very hard to believe that any of them would be stupid enough to give voice to that, particularly on that has of a decade of experience in the job.

Cato

I'm aware of that feeling too. But no evidence is no evidence.
We are all prisoners of the times we were brought up in. A open prison, or the occasional day release, is all we can hope for ...

stopdoingstuff

I await witnesses. There were apparently quite a few. If it happened as reported, then no doubt one of them will step forward and we will move beyond he said/she said and into the realm of evidence. In the absence of evidence, it is fairly pointless to speculate on the truth of the claims. If it actually did go down as described and it can be established that it was the pubs policy and not just some solo run by a bouncer, then God help the pub.

Personally I have no problem with people discriminating on the basis of race when it comes to admission policies - it happened to me in Tokyo and parts of China on an almost daily basis, but because I am not an entitled narcissist who thinks that I have the right to dictate what other people do with private property that they bought with their money, I didn't get too upset. There were more places that welcomed me than didn't.

In an Irish context though and especially in a commercial context it would be mad to keep black people out. Why would anyone do this and expect not to suffer grave commercial consequences?

amsterdemmetje

That's the thing. I can accept that there are racist bars, and racist door staff out there, but I find it very hard to believe that any of them would be stupid enough to give voice to that, particularly on that has of a decade of experience in the job.
Same as that, i work with a diverse group of lads and tbh the only racism i hear is from patrons. Having said that im not naive and there are Racist Door Staff out there but they mostly keep it to themselves..

Bea C

Prester Jim

I don´t see it that way. If a bouncer thinks that he doesn´t like your face, he won´t let you in and that´s it.
It would have to be a very foolish and inexperienced bouncer to actually say "I don't like your face" let alone "no blacks allowed", while that kind of bouncer does exist in the world I doubt Buskers, a very mainstream and long running club in Temple bar area would employ someone like that alone the manager back them up when they come out to see what the story is.
In fairness it may have happened but it just seems highly unlikely.

T

Thomas_..

It would have to be a very foolish and inexperienced bouncer to actually say "I don't like your face" let alone "no blacks allowed", while that kind of bouncer does exist in the world I doubt Buskers, a very mainstream and long running club in Temple bar area would employ someone like that alone the manager back them up when they come out to see what the story is.
In fairness it may have happened but it just seems highly unlikely.
That suggests that the student had made it up. I wonder about the reasons that would had brought him to invent it. Was the student already drunk?

T

Thomas_..

Same as that, i work with a diverse group of lads and tbh the only racism i hear is from patrons. Having said that im not naive and there are Racist Door Staff out there but they mostly keep it to themselves..
I doubt that not. Some of them might have become even more shameless in recent times, watching the tide shifting towards more acceptance of far-right ideas and slogans and more right-wing organisations emerging.

Bea C

Hooligans are Hooligans and they´ve spoiled Football for more then 40 years by now. The very reason for why I have no interest in this sport anymore.

The French can surely ban them because of their misbehaviour and causing public unrest.
I'd imagine it wouldn't take much at all over the next few weeks to get a bullet in you over there, so they'd want to behave themselves on that front alone!

T

Thomas_..

I'd imagine it wouldn't take much at all over the next few weeks to get a bullet in you over there, so they'd want to behave themselves on that front alone!
I´m not so sure about that. If some of them Hooligans gets shot, I wouldn´t care.

Watcher2

Buskers Bar in Temple Bar investigating after students refused entry told 'no blacks allowed'

This report in Journal.ie is of three students from South Africa who were refused admission to a pub in Temple Bar with the bouncer saying openly "No Blacks Allowed".

Worse: the manager, when eventually located, supported the bouncer's action and said that they didn't have to give a reason for refusing entry.

Worse again: The Gardai, when a complaint was made, said that racial discrimination was not a criminal offence (??!!) and there was nothing the Gardai could do for the complainants.

Apparently, the matter was raised on Liveline on RTE Radio, though not (yet) in the Dail.

This is Ireland 2016.....
Raised in the Dail? Give me a break.

Only place this should be raised is in the courts. Our politicians have better things to do because there are arms of the state established to take care of these issues. This is not for politicians other than the Defense Minister if the Gardaí are refusing to act. But it should not come before the Dail in my view.

From Joe to the Dail....Jesus wept.

Socratus O' Pericles

Polar bears. When people think of Polar bears they think of white bears. This is incorrect. If you caught a Polar bear and managed to get it to sit still long enough so that you could shave it. You would discover its skin is black.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies