• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish".

Billy the Prod

In 1960's England, and in London in particular, many landlords and owners of bed & breakfasts and boarding houses put signs in their windows stating "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish". Other owners of property and rented accommodation put up signs stating "Vacancies available - Irish Need Not Apply". These signs became known as "INNA" signs, and the blatant anti-Irish prejudice and discrimination was apparent. Having said all of that, Northern Irish people, Catholics in particular, didn't need to travel across the Irish sea to England to experience discrimination, as they were receiving perfectly good and adequate discrimination here at home.

I recently did a tour of English cities, flying to Manchester, then made my way to the Lake District, then to Leeds, York, Nottingham, Birmingham, Chester and Liverpool, before heading back to Manchester airport and home to N.Ireland. When I booked into the Hotel in Leeds I noticed that the Hotel receptionist behaved in a slightly stand-offish and suspicious manner towards me, but thought nothing of it. When I went on a guided tour of the Lake district, the tour guide described me to other group members as "Irish", and I didn't object or bother to take the time to explain that I'm actually British and Northern Irish, as it's easier to acquiesce in Irishness than it is to begin explaining 800 years of British-Irish history to English people who regard all people from N.I. as "Irish", and regardless of whether they are a Unionist or a Nationalist, and who really don't discern between these important distinctions. Besides, I have no issue with my dual British-Irish national identity, as "Irish" is a part of who I am. During the guided tour a guy from London acted towards me in what can only be described as in a subtly contemptuous manner. I was perplexed, to say the least.

On making my way to the plane in Manchester airport I was stopped by airport security and asked if I was carrying a mobile phone. I told them that I was. They asked me to produce it, which I did. They then set about rubbing some sort of cloth all over the surface of the phone, and I assumed that they were checking the phone for traces of explosives. I wasn't offended, and didn't object. If I had of they probably would have taken me into their quarters and performed a strip search. Thankfully, after all of these years I have not succumbed to the temptations of ramming my finger up my own arse, my sphincter is consequently still intact, and I regard my anal cavity as a sacred temple and designed exclusively for the expulsion of human waste, and would like it to stay that way.

We've come a long way since the 1960's and attitudes have changed. Regrettably, the PIRA's mainland campaign exacerbated what anti-Irish prejudice and discrimination already existed in England, and only made a poor situation for the Irish in England worse. What is clear is that despite much progress in terms of British-Irish national equality, there clearly remains a certain "attitude" towards the Irish to this day, and I am pretty certain that I have experienced it at first hand. Anti-Irish discrimination comes in may forms, and it can be quite subtle, such as in the expression of innuendos and inferences, snobbish behaviour, and in the not so subtle manner of putting signs in a window stating "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" and/or "Irish Need Not Apply", as has been the case in previous decades.

My ancestors were English (and Scottish), and I still have family in England to this day. And yet, because I live in Northern Ireland and thus speak with a Northern Irish accent, I am simply Irish and thus stereotypically lazy, stupid, an alcoholic, a potato eater, a Paddy, a terrorist, and probably an undercover f*cking leprechaun in the eyes of many ignorant and prejudiced English, who despite the great achievements of the Irish people (too many to list here), and the British imposed oppression that the Irish people have had to endure, continue to take a superior attitude towards the Irish, and despite independence for the 26, today's buoyant Irish multicultural society, the GFA, and the Queen's speech at Dublin Castle, where she stated:

"Madam President, Prince Philip and I are delighted to be here, and to experience at first hand Ireland’s world-famous hospitality.

Together we have much to celebrate: the ties between our people, the shared values, and the economic, business and cultural links that make us so much more than just neighbours, that make us firm friends and equal partners.
As a Northern Irish/Irish person, have you ever experienced anti-Irish prejudice in England, or indeed abroad?

between the bridges

yeah once had a young english lady ask me if we all 'kept machine guns in the attic', i mean how thick can you get? she had no concept of how hard it actually was to get your hands on a SMG...

eoghanacht

yeah once had a young english lady ask me if we all 'kept machine guns in the attic', i mean how thick can you get? she had no concept of how hard it actually was to get your hands on a SMG...

The fool I hope you set her right and told her you leave them in the OO halls until they are needed. :lol:

former wesleyan

Google " No Irish, no blacks, no dogs " and the result is one that's 1, image. Similarily Google IRA = I Ran Away and you get zero that's 0 images. Bullshyte urban legend the lot of it. I went to London from Norn Iron in the late '60's and was treated as exotic, loadsa friends from all classes from the English system.

between the bridges

The fool I hope you set her right and told her you leave them in the OO halls until they are needed. :lol:
don't be silly i told her what a action man hero i was!!

between the bridges

Another OP from our sock that is impossible to take seriously.
ah i don't know, a reconstructed east belfast loyalist with an interest in a 1960's english anti irish incident, what's not to believe...

Tea Shark

Prejudice can be pure ignorance too as you said - recently on a holiday in Mozambique the wife and I were watching rugby South Africa versus England at a local establishment.
My wife got speaking to a women from Johannesburg after the game which South Africa won and the women said to her sorry your team lost dear of course being proudly Irish my wife said I am not English I am Irish to which this particularly globally unaware person then said oh do Ireland have a rugby team? My wife chose that moment to examine the sea from the edge of the balcony muttering something :lol:

Point being there are insular people who have never left their own area all over and only know the few things they get fed by mainstream media or propaganda.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Google " No Irish, no blacks, no dogs " and the result is one that's 1, image. Similarily Google IRA = I Ran Away and you get zero that's 0 images. Bullshyte urban legend the lot of it. I went to London from Norn Iron in the late '60's and was treated as exotic, loadsa friends from all classes from the English system.
A strange basis for discounting something - although I see somebody's been at the Brian Hanley articles.
I imagine a young fella called Patrick, landing up in Brixton in 1963, was carrying around his pocket polaroid just in case one of these images needed to be recorded for posterity.

Incidentally, their prevalence was more in newspaper advertisements - not everything is on Google Image, my friend.

C

Castle Ray

These long and similar OPs suggest an agenda and one that simply baits sectarian interaction and invites mudslinging.

InsideImDancing

BTP's got a few rattled!:)

between the bridges

These long and similar OPs suggest an agenda and one that simply baits sectarian interaction and invites mudslinging.
tbf a thread on the length of a piece of string would end up in mudslinging, anyway BP deserves to be taken seriously as he's been across the Rio Grande...

Lonewolfe

In 1960's England, and in London in particular, many landlords and owners of bed & breakfasts and boarding houses put signs in their windows stating "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish". Other owners of property and rented accommodation put up signs stating "Vacancies available - Irish Need Not Apply". These signs became known as "INNA" signs, and the blatant anti-Irish prejudice and discrimination was apparent. Having said all of that, Northern Irish people, Catholics in particular, didn't need to travel across the Irish sea to England to experience discrimination, as they were receiving perfectly good and adequate discrimination here at home.

I recently did a tour of English cities, flying to Manchester, then made my way to the Lake District, then to Leeds, York, Nottingham, Birmingham, Chester and Liverpool, before heading back to Manchester airport and home to N.Ireland. When I booked into the Hotel in Leeds I noticed that the Hotel receptionist behaved in a slightly stand-offish and suspicious manner towards me, but thought nothing of it. When I went on a guided tour of the Lake district, the tour guide described me to other group members as "Irish", and I didn't object or bother to take the time to explain that I'm actually British and Northern Irish, as it's easier to acquiesce in Irishness than it is to begin explaining 800 years of British-Irish history to English people who regard all people from N.I. as "Irish", and regardless of whether they are a Unionist or a Nationalist, and who really don't discern between these important distinctions. Besides, I have no issue with my dual British-Irish national identity, as "Irish" is a part of who I am. During the guided tour a guy from London acted towards me in what can only be described as in a subtly contemptuous manner. I was perplexed, to say the least.

On making my way to the plane in Manchester airport I was stopped by airport security and asked if I was carrying a mobile phone. I told them that I was. They asked me to produce it, which I did. They then set about rubbing some sort of cloth all over the surface of the phone, and I assumed that they were checking the phone for traces of explosives. I wasn't offended, and didn't object. If I had of they probably would have taken me into their quarters and performed a strip search. Thankfully, after all of these years I have not succumbed to the temptations of ramming my finger up my own arse, my sphincter is consequently still intact, and I regard my anal cavity as a sacred temple and designed exclusively for the expulsion of human waste, and would like it to stay that way.

We've come a long way since the 1960's and attitudes have changed. Regrettably, the PIRA's mainland campaign exacerbated what anti-Irish prejudice and discrimination already existed in England, and only made a poor situation for the Irish in England worse. What is clear is that despite much progress in terms of British-Irish national equality, there clearly remains a certain "attitude" towards the Irish to this day, and I am pretty certain that I have experienced it at first hand. Anti-Irish discrimination comes in may forms, and it can be quite subtle, such as in the expression of innuendos and inferences, snobbish behaviour, and in the not so subtle manner of putting signs in a window stating "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" and/or "Irish Need Not Apply", as has been the case in previous decades.

My ancestors were English (and Scottish), and I still have family in England to this day. And yet, because I live in Northern Ireland and thus speak with a Northern Irish accent, I am simply Irish and thus stereotypically lazy, stupid, an alcoholic, a potato eater, a Paddy, a terrorist, and probably an undercover f*cking leprechaun in the eyes of many ignorant and prejudiced English, who despite the great achievements of the Irish people (too many to list here), and the British imposed oppression that the Irish people have had to endure, continue to take a superior attitude towards the Irish, and despite independence for the 26, today's buoyant Irish multicultural society, the GFA, and the Queen's speech at Dublin Castle, where she stated:

As a Northern Irish/Irish person, have you ever experienced anti-Irish prejudice in England, or indeed abroad?
It sounds like to had a ghastly time in England, you poor thing.

between the bridges

BTP's got a few rattled!:)
one could just as easily say he has some taken in, anyway it depends on how much one value's preciseness in the validation of the discussion, is the discussion based on validation of the source or does the discussion stand alone? and if one is not what one claims to be, are ones claims ,what they claim to be...

former wesleyan

The Irish were once victims of the same discrimination Muslims (and, in certain quarters, the Polish) are currently going through; and that since the early 1600s,
there are some interesting examples of rabble rousers hyping up the London mob in the 1640s against the "barbarous Irish papists who doth murder Protestant babies"
living in their midst; not to mention the racist depredations of the likes of Punch later on. I wouldn't have fancied going to London as a young working class Paddy in the 50s or 60s one bit.
You'll be telling us next that there wasn't a word of truth in that. :cool:

S

SeamusNapoleon

one could just as easily say he has some taken in, anyway it depends on how much one value's preciseness in the validation of the discussion, is the discussion based on validation of the source or does the discussion stand alone? and if one is not what one claims to be, are ones claims ,what they claim to be...
It's a fair point.

I haven't been looking in much on the NI forum recently, but your man, the OP, certainly seems to rile people up. I don't know if he is who he claims to be, I haven't read enough of his posts to determine, to be honest.

Although the title concerns that very infamous slogan (which I always thought more prevalent in the USA in the latter part of the nineteenth-century, rather than England), the discussion is less about that and more about attitudes in general. That is a fair enough topic for discussion, though why it should be in the NI forum when the topic is more about the Irish in general is beyond me.

C

Castle Ray

He's been to Eire in the car and liked it and has become a nationalist as a result. It seems he hasn't the confidence yet to post his thread there yet. Maybe someone from that forum could assist and make him more welcome? After all his vote could be the one that takes it past 50%!

Mickeymac

He's been to Eire in the car and liked it and has become a nationalist as a result. It seems he hasn't the confidence yet to post his thread there yet. Maybe someone from that forum could assist and make him more welcome? After all his vote could be the one that takes it past 50%!

His vote is very welcome sir.