"No Country For Women" - Irish Women's Experiences - RTE Documentary by Anne Roper

HereWeGoAgain

Excellent documentary airing currently on RTE 1, Part One was screened last night with Part Two scheduled for 9.30 p.m. tonight.

No Country For Women is a new RTÉ One series looking at Irish women’s experience of colliding with 100 years of discriminatory laws. In the centenary of women’s suffrage, documentary maker Anne Roper remembers some early inspiration…

No Country For Women looks at one hundred years of Irish women’s experience since they won the vote in 1918. It examines why the promises of equal citizenship enshrined in The Proclamation, women’s suffrage and 1922 Constitution were largely cast aside for economic and political expediency.

Anne Roper is an Executive Producer with RTE and on this documentary is the the writer, producer and director,

Her profile on Linkedin:
I've been a writer, TV producer, director & documentary maker for over 25 years. It's my view that documenting a variety of voices and experiences provides a window on society which in turn helps us decide what kind of country and democracy (when it comes time to vote) that we want to be.

As well as working in an Executive TV producer role and as the Head of the RTE TV Documentary Unit, I have produced TV, radio, published fiction and newspaper columns for The Irish Times and Irish Independent. I originate documentary and other TV formats. I also create and facilitate training courses including the RTE Producer/Director curriculum, modules on visual storytelling, story sequencing, ideas to screen, scripting to pictures, multi-platform content, directing, production and more...

I've originated/facilitated journalism and media production training courses for the broadcast industry (see details below). I devised, coordinated and directed the successful RTE training day 'Bring on the Women' which offered a media skills course for expert women looking to appear on radio, TV and online. I've presented TV programming, appear on broadcast panels and do public speaking in the area of arts, creativity and inspiration..

What has been the societal legacy of so many injustices? I’ve just made an RTE TV documentary strand that tries to find out. No Country For Women looks at one hundred years of Irish women’s experience since they won the vote in 1918. It examines why the promises of equal citizenship enshrined in The Proclamation, women’s suffrage and 1922 Constitution were largely cast aside for economic and political expediency. How, from the founding of the Free State in 1922, successive governments and the Catholic Church legislated from a ring-side seat in ordinary Irish citizen’s bedrooms.
- Anne Roper

The history of Ireland’s treatment of women, their sexuality, bodies, fertility and autonomy is complex and too often taken out of women’s control. In the last weeks Ireland has voted to facilitate legislation on abortion, a scandal broke over cervical smear testing, historical adoption irregularities were confirmed and the State finally apologized to women confined for years in Magdalene Laundries--where they worked long hours for no pay.

Many of you will recall Taoiseach Enda Kenny's apology to the Magdalene women in Dail Eireann

[video=youtube;6FvwhU3OJKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FvwhU3OJKk[/video]

Women Trailblazers also feature in the series:
former President, Mary Robinson,
Trade Union Activist, Mags O’Brien,
Women’s AID director, Margaret Martin.
Mary McGee is there too, now in her 70’s.

Stories and participants in episode one, entitled A Woman's Place include:

Samantha Long - who wants to find out about what life was like for her grandmother and other women confined to ‘mental asylums' beyond the Free State years.
Catherine Corless - who will talk about Julia Carter Devaney who spent the first 45 years of her life as an unpaid domestic in Tuam's mother and baby home.
Former President of Ireland Mary Robinson.
Journalist Justine McCarthy.
Mary Magee - who will touch on the contraception ban of the 1970s

"You do have to ask whether in the end, Ireland became no country for women."
- Quote from Documentary
Too often history is told by those in power. The lives outside that circle are too often censored.
Mary Robinson remembers:
‘In my inaugural speech as President, I said I want women who have been outside history to be written back in, to have a voice’.

Sources:
https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0618/971410-no-country-for-women-giving-a-voice/

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/documentary-state-irish-women-630246

Episode 1 available on Player
https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/no-country-for-women-30005310/10895243/

Newspaper articles following airing:

Journal.ie 'She was living in a derelict building dripping with damp under a tin roof. The year was 1998'

During the making of No Country for Women, we journeyed with women today to learn more about their mothers’ and grandmothers’ lives, writes Anne Roper

GRANGEGORMAN AND BALLINASLOE mental asylums, Tuam and the Navan Road Mother and Baby Homes, Gloucester and High Park Magdalene Laundries: I’ve long wondered why so much of Irish history is about locking people up.

In a new TV documentary series, No Country For Women, psychiatrist Brendan Kelly reckons: ‘Ireland put more people into mental hospitals per head of population than any country in the world’.

Carceral institutions acted as a threatening force of social control. Those who held the power over them become intertwined with the history of the Irish women living in them.
'She was living in a derelict building dripping with damp under a tin roof. The year was 1998'

Twitter responds:

Dr. Madeleine Ní Dhálaigh @Madser2002
12h12 hours ago

We had a theocracy ruling this country for so long, not too different to Taliban ideology - withholding education, restrictive dress code,control freedom, control rights, control media, men on pedestal . Let us never forget #NoCountryForWomen
Caroline Hofman@CearuilinH
13h13 hours ago

Absolutely shocking that there was a Local Government Act describing pregnancy out of wedlock as an "offence". Women who committed a first "offence" would be sent to a mother and baby home. A second "offence" and they would be sent to the Magdalene laundries.
Donal O'Keeffe@Donal_OKeeffe
13h13 hours ago

"A gang of men broke into my house, calling themselves Republicans, dragged me out by the hair; one of their manly passions overcame them and I became dangerous in health with child." Letter to the Archbishop of Dublin (1923) #NoCountryForWomen
Dr Mary McAuliffe@MaryMcAuliffe4
12h12 hours ago

It was a real honour to be a consultant on #NoCountryForWomen the stories of these women will resonate thought out histories - they are the real heroes of modern Ireland.

Analyzer

I don't suppose PRAVDA-rte will give any details of how the level of alcohol consumed contributed to Mental Illness in Ireland ?

Or the abuse that it caused women, with drinken husbands beating them and the kids to a pulp ?

Or the fact that this is currently occurring NOW. Still occurring.

And that now there are drugs in the mix, as well.

Or would that be one missing elephant in the room ?

Let's not reduce the profits of a very supportive brewing oligopoly which spends a fortune on advertising in PRAVDA-rte, and which regularly gets a free pass !!!!

HereWeGoAgain

"Women still form only 22% of Dail members. Women in Ireland are paid 14% less than men. Only 16% figure on company boards. No woman has held the top position in an Irish university and only 21% are professors."

Tweet from Caroline Hofman@CearuilinH
15h15 hours ago

https://twitter.com/CearuilinH

HereWeGoAgain

"Irish men want to have sex before marriage, but Irish men want to marry virgins"
- Diarmuid Ferriter 'No Country for Women' Documentary

OrderoftheDragon

"Women still form only 22% of Dail members. Women in Ireland are paid 14% less than men. Only 16% figure on company boards. No woman has held the top position in an Irish university and only 21% are professors."

15h15 hours ago

So what ?...most women I know would rather be at home, lunching with the ladies and picking up the kids in the Chelsea tractor.

HereWeGoAgain

Paper: Ask Angela: reappraising the Irish ‘sexual repression’ narrative

Published in 20th Century Social Perspectives, 20th-century / Contemporary History, Features, Issue 2(March/April 2012), Volume 20

The history of the sexuality of Ireland reveals the nation to be something of an oddity. No history is complete without reference to the range of demographic characteristics that set us apart. In 1966, for example, Ireland had the lowest marriage rate in Europe, yet it had the highest marital fertility rate. The percentage of the population that never married was the highest in the Western world.

Repressive legislation governed contraception, homosexuality and the publication and screening of material deemed too explicit by a political and religious establishment fearful that the walls keeping out a British and European moral contagion would break. The archbishop of Cashel and Emly, Dr Morris, described Ireland in 1961 as a Christian country surrounded by paganism. The Irish were different.

The landmark ethnographic studies of family life by luminaries like Arensberg and Kimball confirmed this—that the Irish, in Scheper Hughes’s words, were ‘troubled by sexuality’. It appeared that a unique constellation of religious, familial and political influences had determined the sexual character of the nation. The Irish would carry this unflattering legacy for generations, believing that they were more sexually inept, repressed and guilt-ridden than our more sexually enlightened European neighbours.
Link
https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/ask-angela-reappraising-the-irish-sexual-repression-narrative/

Analyzer

15h15 hours ago

That is probably a consequence of what constitutes a female politician in Kildare Street.

Admittedly, they are even more useless than the male ones (which speaks volumes).

Averil Power, Sumo Harney, UseLiz O'Donnell ?

And then the utlimate.....Ruth No-Cop-whinger.

Only Catherine Murphy and Roisin Shortall are in anyway brave when it comes to tackling vested interests.....and the media are ignring them both.

owedtojoy

The program chimed in well with The Taoiseach's apology to Irish gays in the Dail yesterday.

I had forgotten Lavinia Kerwick, the first Irish woman (afaik) who waived her anonymity and accused a man of rape at age 17. And the first to openly protest when he got a suspended sentence.

It was wonderful to see she had grown into a mature and lively woman.

APettigrew92

Let's not reduce the profits of a very supportive brewing oligopoly which spends a fortune on advertising in PRAVDA-rte, and which regularly gets a free pass !!!!
We're not a few years removed from that monster in Cavan killing his wife and his two children being painted as a "pillar of the community" and a "tragic individual" rather than the absolutely repugnant dog that he was.

He was even buried next to his wife. They quietly disinterred him some time ago.

Alcoholism is a silent killer but too much of the people in the trough are dependent on kickbacks or big drinkers themselves.

Betson

15h15 hours ago

Is that tweet supposed to pointing out that women are lazy or low achievers , because there is nothing stopping them doing any of the above in the same numbers as men if they want to , only themselves.

Volatire

"Irish men want to have sex before marriage, but Irish men want to marry virgins"
- Diarmuid Ferriter 'No Country for Women' Documentary
Irish academics and horseshït go together like a horse and carriage.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I think Catherine Murphy, Roisin Shortall, Clare Daley and co should inspire more women to stand in elections.

The more decent TDs we get the better our chance of getting talented women into the Dail.

owedtojoy

I don't suppose PRAVDA-rte will give any details of how the level of alcohol consumed contributed to Mental Illness in Ireland ?

Or the abuse that it caused women, with drinken husbands beating them and the kids to a pulp ?

Or the fact that this is currently occurring NOW. Still occurring.

And that now there are drugs in the mix, as well.

No matter who pens a good OP, you will always from some whinger proclaiming : " The Truth can only come from those who are PERFECT - LIKE ME!"

... and salt it with some moronic Putin-bot insults.

Meh. Where do we get these cretins?

HereWeGoAgain

Catalpast

Local Government (Temporary Provisions) Act, 1923

Unmarried Mothers.

4. Unmarried Mothers are divided into two classes:—

(a) First offenders, to be dealt with in the same institution as children.

(b) Old offenders to be sent to Magdalen Asylum.

Unmarried Mothers who come within Class (b) shall be offered an opportunity of relief and retrievement in the Magdalen Asylum, Gal way, upon such terms and conditions as may be agreed on between the Executive Committee and the Sisters in Charge of the Magdalen Asylum. If necessary the Committee may make arrangements with other Institutions.

Persons in Class (b) who refuse to enter such Institutions as may be selected shall not be allowed, under any circumstances to become chargeable to the public rates.

Local Government (Temporary Provisions) Act, 1923

It was wrong to call having a child outside of marriage an 'offense' - that is crazy stuff.

But at least it clarifies that in Law no one could be forced to comply

- but if they didn't then they could not be a charge on the public rates.

BTW it should be noted that the vast majority of women who had a child out of wedlock never ended up in these places.

HereWeGoAgain

I think Catherine Murphy, Roisin Shortall, Clare Daley and co should inspire more women to stand in elections.

The more decent TDs we get the better our chance of getting talented women into the Dail.
Catherine Connolly is pretty good too.

OrderoftheDragon

Insightful reflection from you.

You obviously feel women do not have the capacity to contribute in the political arena.
Did I say that ? But given the choice most women I know would rather be at home, looking after the family.

Prior to the 90's one income was quite sufficient to buy a modest home in Ireland, Charlie McCreevy and FF made it impossible for a single income earner to buy a house on their own.

Women have been totally conned into the rat race all in the name of equality, a few "at the top" will do absolutely nothing for the 100's of 1000's of young and middle aged women out there slogging their guts out every week with kids/crèches/work/ etc etc. etc.

While being told by old crusty feminists, they've never had it so good............totally conned more like.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies