No Deal unless the Irish border backstop is scrapped

cytex

the British government have repeatedly said they will not enforce the hard border.
They don't want too and no one can force them too.

Whereas Eire will be duty bound to enforce the EU single market or otherwise all UK product could quite legally travel via Stranraer to Europe.
Except for there own self interest and WTO rules but appart from that no one can force them .

Ireland is not duty bound to enforce the EU single market . Ireland has a choice Either stay in the Single market or leave it. This choice is imposed on us by the British. But when bombs start going off again due to British decisions I'm sure people who get caught up in wont really care about who is maning the border.

In a no Deal scenario the most likely outcome is both sides trying to man a border that cannot be policed soliders back in NI and bombs going up all because the British didn't sign up to the WA all because the British decided to rip up a peace agreement all because the British did'nt negociate in good faith.

But you keep blaming the Irish for having a clear position negociating and compromising in Good faith if it makes you feel happier. Just answer me this Does it matter who mans the border if the troubles start again ?

death or glory

Except for there own self interest and WTO rules but appart from that no one can force them .

Ireland is not duty bound to enforce the EU single market . Ireland has a choice Either stay in the Single market or leave it. This choice is imposed on us by the British. But when bombs start going off again due to British decisions I'm sure people who get caught up in wont really care about who is maning the border.

In a no Deal scenario the most likely outcome is both sides trying to man a border that cannot be policed soliders back in NI and bombs going up all because the British didn't sign up to the WA all because the British decided to rip up a peace agreement all because the British did'nt negociate in good faith.

But you keep blaming the Irish for having a clear position negociating and compromising in Good faith if it makes you feel happier. Just answer me this Does it matter who mans the border if the troubles start again ?
The British have no intention or plans to man the border.
Nowhere in WTO rules does it say they have to patrol or enforce a hard border, that is fact.
Whereas Eire will have to uphold the single market under command of the EU or all British goods could freely travel through Stranraer into the EU tariffs free.
As you did admit, it is your choice and decision whether Eire want to enforce a hard border and custom posts.
Take responsibility for your own decisions.

cytex

Nowhere in WTO rules does it say they have to patrol or enforce a hard border, that is fact.
Whereas Eire will have to uphold the single market under command of the EU or all British goods could freely travel through Stranraer into the EU tariffs free.
As you did admit, it is your choice and decision whether Eire want to enforce a hard border and custom posts.
Not Fact in fact it is Lies pure and simple:

This is the link you are quoting i'd suggest that you read it it says that it is not WTO that will enforce a border but britian because of it's own interests :

This is the UK plan it violates WTO rules :
In the scenario of a no deal Brexit, the UK would automatically revert to WTO trading rules, which it would violate by not placing checks on the border, thus giving the EU favourable status over other trading partners, Winters argues. Under WTO rules, the UK could only alter rates and rules for countries or trading blocs that it has a deal with, precisely what would be missing in a no deal scenario.

Those reasons you are spouting for Ireland maning a border also apply to Britian or do you Think Britian is going to allow tarrif free trade to all WTO countries with no checks That is WTO rules what you do to one country you do to them all that would simply trash the UK economy .

But when the bombs start up again you can be glad you cheerleaded it.

Newrybhoy

You cannot assimilate with a culture that has all but disappeared.
By the time the vast majority of Irish started arriving in places like Boston, New York, Philadelphia etc. in the mid 19th century, these places were entirely "new American" in character. The native tribes had long moved further west or had been exterminated by the new occupants, and there would have been little evidence that they had ever lived there. They did assimilate over time, but with the Italians, Germans, British, Scandinavians, Spanish, Italians, and eastern European Jews who also were their neighbours. The proof is there in the family heritage of modern, rather unlikely sounding Irish-Americans like Tommy Hilfiger, Joe Biden, Emilio Estevez, Robert DeNiro, Anne Hathaway and Ben Stiller.
There are still pockets of Native Americans throughout the US. Surely all these Europeans should leave and allow them to have their land back.

Your hypocrisy is quite amazing.

raetsel

There are still pockets of Native Americans throughout the US. Surely all these Europeans should leave and allow them to have their land back.

Your hypocrisy is quite amazing.
????? :rolleyes:
Bizarre.............
Are you for real? What hypocrisy? In what possible way could you have imagined that I was being hypocritical?
You've tied yourself completely up in knots here and your "escape plan" is based upon bamboozling me with ridiculous insults.

Newrybhoy

????? :rolleyes:
Bizarre.............
Are you for real? What hypocrisy? In what possible way could you have imagined that I was being hypocritical?
You've tied yourself completely up in knots here and your "escape plan" is based upon bamboozling me with ridiculous insults.
Give America back to the Americans.

raetsel

You waded in to defend Talk Backs post, so read it and come back to me.
I wasn't defending Talk Back's post. I have no idea what he said as I have him on 'ignore'. Yours was a stand alone post as far as I was concerned but the context was obvious, as was your analogy which you;ve used before.

owedtojoy

The Ireland-Northern Ireland Border is a smuggler's paradise. There are farms and properties that straddle it, there are roads and myriads of farm tracks that provide easy ingress.

Thomas "Slab" Murphy, who was head of the IRA, made a personal fortune out the Border smuggling. His farm straddles it, and there are probably a few mini-Murphys who are itching to emulate him when the chance comes.

But it will not just be locals - people traffickers and smugglers of all sorts will be looking at it as a back door into the UK. With those will come the armed criminal gangs that were familiar on the border during the Troubles.

There is no possible way the British will be able to pretend that the Border can be ignored, and left without a security infrastructure. And once that infrastructure begins to be put in place, the politics of the British state in a Nationalist Irish area will push things in one inevitable direction.

wombat

But it will not just be locals - people traffickers and smugglers of all sorts will be looking at it as a back door into the UK. With those will come the armed criminal gangs that were familiar on the border during the Troubles.

There is no possible way the British will be able to pretend that the Border can be ignored, and left without a security infrastructure. And once that infrastructure begins to be put in place, the politics of the British state in a Nationalist Irish area will push things in one inevitable direction.
That's the biggest danger, trade difficulties can be adapted to but once someone's dead, its final.

death or glory

The Ireland-Northern Ireland Border is a smuggler's paradise. There are farms and properties that straddle it, there are roads and myriads of farm tracks that provide easy ingress.

Thomas "Slab" Murphy, who was head of the IRA, made a personal fortune out the Border smuggling. His farm straddles it, and there are probably a few mini-Murphys who are itching to emulate him when the chance comes.

Slab Murphy and compatriots are smuggling at the minute so they will still be smuggling after.
The smuggling into the UK will be small scale and will only be a fraction of a percent of the NI economy and like the diesel and cigarette smuggling at the minute, it is more bother than its worth to patrol the border properly .
Us Brits have no interest in enforcing the border so we won't although we have the experience and expertise off doing so.

Newrybhoy

I wasn't defending Talk Back's post. I have no idea what he said as I have him on 'ignore'. Yours was a stand alone post as far as I was concerned but the context was obvious, as was your analogy which you;ve used before.
I can't begrudge you have him on ignore. But his post is pure hypocrisy regarding the people of NI compared to the people of America.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Slab Murphy and compatriots are smuggling at the minute so they will still be smuggling after.
The smuggling into the UK will be small scale and will only be a fraction of a percent of the NI economy and like the diesel and cigarette smuggling at the minute, it is more bother than its worth to patrol the border properly .
Us Brits have no interest in enforcing the border so we won't although we have the experience and expertise off doing so.
Then why does Westminster appear completely nonplussed with regard to suggesting a solution?

The last attempt at policing the border in Northern Ireland didn't seem to indicate much success, and they were in much more trying times.

death or glory

Then why does Westminster appear completely nonplussed with regard to suggesting a solution?

The last attempt at policing the border in Northern Ireland didn't seem to indicate much success, and they were in much more trying times.
We have suggested a solution , remove the backstop or make it limited to two years.
Otherwise the border patrols and customs are your problem not ours.
The British parliament has rejected the backstop three times already.

McSlaggart

We have suggested a solution , remove the backstop or make it limited to two years.
Otherwise the border patrols and customs are your problem not ours.
The British parliament has rejected the backstop three times already.
[SUP][/SUP]
[SUP][/SUP]
[SUP]Boris Johnson must slap down the DUP over the backstop to avoid a no-deal Brexit[/SUP]

[SUP] [/SUP]

Do you think a no deal brexit will work out well for unionism?

death or glory

Y
[SUP][/SUP]
[SUP][/SUP]
[SUP]Boris Johnson must slap down the DUP over the backstop to avoid a no-deal Brexit[/SUP]

[SUP] [/SUP]

Do you think a no deal brexit will work out well for unionism?
Yes,
Bring on 1st November

Pyewacket

Disgusting why Ireland should suffer any consequences through a British decision to exit the EU.
Well. It is not the first time the UK shat all over Ireland, is it?

This time round it grinds their gears that Ireland is in a position of strength. It is not just Ireland, it is the whole EU.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies