No Deal unless the Irish border backstop is scrapped

Mickeymac

?????????????

Dumcree, Twaddel it is unionists who have been dong a lot of whinning of the last years. Hell Unionists leadership will not even come out and stop crazy bonfires.

Unionist politicos are prisoners of their own device.....simple as.

irish_bob

Yep, the Irish medai truly is an absolute fuking disgrace .. even seeing the DUP unclothed they STILL pander to them .. there should be more made of this .. its disgusting
There is indeed a very large segment of the irish media who spend a lot of time worrying about what unionists must think of us.

Eoghan Harris influence perhaps?

death or glory

?????????????

Dumcree, Twaddel it is unionists who have been dong a lot of whinning of the last years. Hell Unionists leadership will not even come out and stop crazy bonfires.
Drimcree was over 20 years ago.
Even the Twaddell avenue civil rights protest several years ago was rarely mentioned and now with the very successful and happy Twelfth parade down the Ardoyne road, it makes you wonder what the row was about.

Mickeymac

There is indeed a very large segment of the irish media who spend a lot of time worrying about what unionists must think of us.

Eoghan Harris influence perhaps?

I believe there are Irish AH's who like to be recognised as British toffs and yearn for Buck House awards, latest being Baroness Ritchie from the North of Ireland I sh1t you not sir.

Mickeymac

Drimcree was over 20 years ago.
Even the Twaddell avenue civil rights protest several years ago was rarely mentioned and now with the very successful and happy Twelfth parade down the Ardoyne road, it makes you wonder what the row was about.

You still don't get it dunderhead, march where you are welcome, problem disappears and saves taxpayers money that could be directed to useful causes rather than that shit sectarian/racist hatefest stuff.

McSlaggart

https://inews.co.uk/ibuys/tech/best-soundbars-2019-uk-tv-under-200-reviews/?utm_campaign=ibuys&utm_medium=network&utm_source=nativeads

According to the DUP, there is nothing to see here, but Arlene Foster and Boris Johnson have abandoned the principle that Northern Ireland must leave the EU on close to the same terms as Great Britain. Worse than that, they’ve put our relationship with the rest of the UK up for negotiation.

death or glory

Jeez you're funny,
[/QUOTE]
I know, I know, I know,
Is prods have a great sense of humour and very quick witted.

owedtojoy

John Bruton on Sky:

"The Good Friday Agreement is all about Convergence of Ireland, North and South, and Convergence between Britain and Ireland. Brexit is all about Divergence."

I wonder how many times have the British been told something similar over the past 3 years? Brexit into the Good Friday Agreement just does not compute. At least, the Hard Brexit beloved of Tory radicals just will not.

Northern Ireland as a Special Economic Area of the United Kingdom, in the customs union & single market, would work. Not only would it work, it might stop Northern Ireland from being an economic drag on the rest of the UK.

As Chairman Deng is supposed to have said "Does the colour of the cat matter, as long as it catches mice?"

Ardillaun

The problem is Paddy that 'The English' (I presume you mean The UK or at least 'The British') have seemed rather happy to be stuck with NI for almost a hundred years now.
I don’t think they care that much either way any more. Many Brexiteers would be happy to jettison NI if it was stopping Brexit. This headline gives the gist of such sentiments:

I would suggest that nothing in The Belfast Agreement will change that - certainly not a border poll. But i's good to dream I suppose - tommorrow, tommorrow as the song goes...
Brexit is changing the tone of the debate about UI. The possibility that people would take a big chance on UI and vote for it has increased considerably.

EnglishObserver

I don’t think they care that much either way any more. Many Brexiteers would be happy to jettison NI if it was stopping Brexit. This headline gives the gist of such sentiments:

Brexit is changing the tone of the debate about UI. The possibility that people would take a big chance on UI and vote for it has increased considerably.
The problem is that events are transient. Brexit will resolve itself one way or another long before any border poll could be called. Once that happens it will be business as usual with all those Catholic background types supporting the status quo, which guarantees their affluence (as well as the Catholic ex-RUC/UDR types etc).

I'm afraid the planets will not align...

Ardillaun

The problem is that events are transient. Brexit will resolve itself one way or another long before any border poll could be called. Once that happens it will be business as usual with all those Catholic background types supporting the status quo, which guarantees their affluence (as well as the Catholic ex-RUC/UDR types etc).

Perhaps. However, Brexit is going to grind on for a long time yet - we are only in the initial stages - and the rhetoric from both political sides in NI is, if anything, more polarized than it has been for years. The DUP, in particular, seems determined to keep the North stuck in a sectarian time warp:

In such an atmosphere, there seems to be little room for small ‘u’ unionists and voting in one’s own economic self-interest may be trumped by tribal loyalties. There is also a more hostile tone from Brexiteers regarding the Celtic fringe. I see trouble ahead.

Last edited:

Marcella

Jeez you're funny,
I know, I know, I know,
Is prods have a great sense of humour and very quick witted.
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully Arlene can see the funny side of the Boris bus undercarriage.

Marcella

The problem for unionists is that the demographic trend is not transient.

irish_bob

It's important that we down here rid ourselves of the smug idea that a united Ireland is something we can buy like a fancy new car, whether we feel we can afford it or not is irrelevant, it's only a matter of time until Britain is no longer willing to hold on to it

We should be beefing up our defence forces, the campaign to put down loyalist terror will likely last for years but it's inevitable

raetsel

Straws in the wind this morning.................
In this opinion piece by David Green CEO of the influential right-wing think-tank Civitas, he seems to be thinking the unthinkable.

The EU talks are still in danger of collapsing because of Northern Ireland at a time when the majority of people who live there think they will be part of a united Ireland within ten years, according to Lord Ashcroft’s September poll.
Northern Ireland has long been a millstone round the neck of the rest of the UK and to fail to take back our independence because of it would be an historic tragedy. It is not widely known that it costs the UK more to support Northern Ireland than it does to be in the EU.
In 2016-17, according to HM Treasury figures, total expenditure by the Government on Northern Ireland was £20.6 billion.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies