No Deal unless the Irish border backstop is scrapped

Marcella

It's important that we down here rid ourselves of the smug idea that a united Ireland is something we can buy like a fancy new car, whether we feel we can afford it or not is irrelevant, it's only a matter of time until Britain is no longer willing to hold on to it

We should be beefing up our defence forces, the campaign to put down loyalist terror will likely last for years but it's inevitable
Open the bookies and off licenses early every day and there will be no loyalist violence.

death or glory

Open the bookies and off licenses early every day and there will be no loyalist violence.
We thought about that with Rebs but it was no good as we figured they were too lazy to get up early in the morning anyway.

Emily Davison

I don’t think they care that much either way any more. Many Brexiteers would be happy to jettison NI if it was stopping Brexit. This headline gives the gist of such sentiments:

Brexit is changing the tone of the debate about UI. The possibility that people would take a big chance on UI and vote for it has increased considerably.
That's very funny, the bit of it I could read. I didn't know that NI costs Britian more than they send to the EU. It isn't Brexit they should be doing but Nixit.

Emily Davison

It's important that we down here rid ourselves of the smug idea that a united Ireland is something we can buy like a fancy new car, whether we feel we can afford it or not is irrelevant, it's only a matter of time until Britain is no longer willing to hold on to it

We should be beefing up our defence forces, the campaign to put down loyalist terror will likely last for years but it's inevitable
I think Britain should pay us to take NI if the figures in the other article are correct. I'm sure that too is all part of Dominic Cummings Master Plan.

Emily Davison

We thought about that with Rebs but it was no good as we figured they were too lazy to get up early in the morning anyway.
The horse racing doesn't start till the afternoon. Anyway Marcella is way old fashioned, most gambling is done online now. 24/7. You can even bet on imaginary races.

owedtojoy

I don’t think they care that much either way any more. Many Brexiteers would be happy to jettison NI if it was stopping Brexit. This headline gives the gist of such sentiments:

Brexit is changing the tone of the debate about UI. The possibility that people would take a big chance on UI and vote for it has increased considerably.
Mentioned on Pat Kenny this morning, the consensus was that much came from the keyboard of Dominic Cummings.

Dominic apparently is a case of "The Brexiteers can kiss my a*s, I have a Downing Street job at last"

And he wants to keep it.

A warning to the DUP to get on side with whatever Boris Johnson is signing up to. Time to stop wagging the dog.

Ardillaun

In any big change there are always unexpected consequences, some of them nasty. It should be obvious but it has to be said here: UI would bring costs as well as benefits. When the celebrations end we'll still be stuck with ourselves and our problems.

Mickeymac

Mentioned on Pat Kenny this morning, the consensus was that much came from the keyboard of Dominic Cummings.

Dominic apparently is a case of "The Brexiteers can kiss my a*s, I have a Downing Street job at last"

And he wants to keep it.

A warning to the DUP to get on side with whatever Boris Johnson is signing up to. Time to stop wagging the dog.

Any deal agreed will not come near the current deal Ireland already have through remaining in the EU.

If it transpires a new deal is better, Ireland should go for it, they certainly deserve it.

Gin Soaked

And he wants to keep it.

Surely if there is a NI customs union, then the dog has had its tail docked. And no amount of wagging the docked portion will affect the mutt.

A NI customs union with a NI plebiscite effectively neuters the pandering to both communities that is ingrained in the GFA.

So I don't see that flying. Unless such a vote is couched as a variant to a border poll or kicked so far down the line (10+ years) that it can be ignored. But there is no intellectual consistency between a GFA and a NI poll.

Gin Soaked

Maybe not Bob, she could be referring, as many believe, that Nationalists and others be compensated for the many years of the horrors experienced by British occupation of their land.
Would you trust the Tories to pay?

I would see a second buying off of the fleggers and even then, I doubt they would stay bought across generations .

The disso filth causing terror in Derry now did not stay bought.

Mickeymac

Would you trust the Tories to pay?

I would see a second buying off of the fleggers and even then, I doubt they would stay bought across generations .

The disso filth causing terror in Derry now did not stay bought.

Not a question of trust sir, anything agreed with the Tories would be legally documented by the opposite side, too many out there know their history of reneging on deals agreed.

EnglishObserver

The problem for unionists is that the demographic trend is not transient.
The problem for Nationalists is that The IRA should have kept them poor and angry instead of surrendering. I suspect that demographic change and Catholic middle class prosperity will tend to balance out in the long term. Of course by then, NI society will be a very different place - more like England (or at least Scotland). Idealists of any sort will be a minority.

Mickeymac

Surely if there is a NI customs union, then the dog has had its tail docked. And no amount of wagging the docked portion will affect the mutt.

A NI customs union with a NI plebiscite effectively neuters the pandering to both communities that is ingrained in the GFA.

So I don't see that flying. Unless such a vote is couched as a variant to a border poll or kicked so far down the line (10+ years) that it can be ignored. But there is no intellectual consistency between a GFA and a NI poll.

This is worth a read GS, covers much of your comments....

Ardillaun

UI gets mixed in so much tribal argy-bargy that it can’t be judged on its own merits. Neither side can admit the costs of their position. Short-term, UI could be highly disruptive, dangerous and costly. Longer-term, it might lift the North out of its chronic economic and cultural stagnation.

Emily Davison

Maybe not Bob, she could be referring, as many believe, that Nationalists and others be compensated for the many years of the horrors experienced by British occupation of their land.
You is funny, shure that’s what I meant. Anyway have a look at this Torygraph cartoon.

Telegraph

Meanwhile the horsey crowd on ITV is worried about the transport of jockeys. And horses. Post Brexit.

Talk Back

The British Gov. are sending out strong signals now as they prepare to pull out of Ireland.

Poor locationally challenged Unionists trapped in Ireland - this is only going to end one way for you nomads.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies