• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

No Harsh Christmas Budget for TDs

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
This is just to bring it to the attention of those who read P.ie from afar and may not fully realise how insensitive and arrogant the Irish 'leadership' is. It is Christmas after all but no break from the harsh decisions they make on our behalf.

...TDs cut their own budget by just 2.5pc. after backing harsh Budget cuts to child benefit and respite care grants for the rest of us. Quietly they will vote through (legislation was published without any publicity) a budget for running the Dail and Seanad of €108m a year.....then head off for Christmas holidays.

The €324m budget for the Dail and Seanad for the next three years is down only 2.5pc. This represents an average running cost of €108m a year. The budget is due to be voted through by the Government today, with a maximum of three hours allocated for debate....

The biggest cost in the Oireachtas budget is paying for the wages, travel expenses and supports for the 166 TDs and 60 senators. Really so where are the harsh cutbacks in overpaid TD's? Cut backs in numbers of TD's? Reform in expenses etc? Enda220'000kpa still at the helm of a bunch of stooges.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
at least the ones in mountjoy are there for a good reason as for the other shower of whelps?

tigerben

Now now, Alex White has said it will be tough with the 2.5% cut to meet the target this year! I mean they might just have to travel a hour later every odd day to reduce the travel cost, and send out a few less Christmas cards. Total hardship for them but at least they'll be able to look the people in the eye and " we had a cut, we feel your pain" :) tough at the top it seems.

bob3367

The Budget will not come into effect until Jan1, so its contents will have no effect on anyone until then.

Just a point of fact.

odlum

TD's are elected by the people. The people know the wages. What's your deal OP?

Sync

Plus they've reduced their wages 13% since 2010. Kenny's salary is down 25% since the same time. Plus they're looking to try and remove 60 senators from the payroll. Surely you've got to at least mention those facts when you're talking to those "afar".

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
The deal is odlum, that I expect better from people in their positions. The morals of our society is crumbling. The list of 'bad' things happening is endless and every day brings another degrading story of Irish life in the 21st century.

Yes we know the wages and we vote for them. But you know we cannot get a referendum on what we really want changed. Christmas is a very miserable time for most people, they find it hard with the constant bombardment of ads to spend, spend, spend. Many this year have no money. Then you look to the royalty of the country and see how they are in solidarity with your position. You see no one. According to a recent estimate, the annual cost per TD to the State is €277,063 – or more than €46m in total.

eg: Fine Gael senator Paul Bradford said he too could not understand why there was a mobile phone allowance. "Why is a TD's mobile phone allowance of €750 for phones and car kits payable every 18 months? "What other job would pay such an allowance?"

eg: the International Monetary Fund said there should have been some measures to protect low income groups.

Last edited:

Rocky

Plus they've reduced their wages 13% since 2010. Kenny's salary is down 25% since the same time. Plus they're looking to try and remove 60 senators from the payroll. Surely you've got to at least mention those facts when you're talking to those "afar".
The number of TDs is also being reduced to as low as it can under the Constitution.
The Independents allowance was cut.
All expenses have to be vouched.
Ministers severance packages were abolished.
And it's not TDs, but the number of Cllrs is being reduced massively.

controller

Are u for real???. Those cuts only show just how over paid they were. Your posts always show someone who wants the Status quo to remain. No backbone......

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
The number of TDs is also being reduced to as low as it can under the Constitution.
The Independents allowance was cut.
All expenses have to be vouched.
Ministers severance packages were abolished.
And it's not TDs, but the number of Cllrs is being reduced massively.
Thats great news Rocky, do you know of any business that ran the same type of system?

bob3367

The deal is odlum, that I expect better from people in their positions. The morals of our society is crumbling. The list of 'bad' things happening is endless and every day brings another degrading story of Irish life in the 21st century.

Yes we know the wages and we vote for them. But you know we cannot get a referendum on what we really want changed. Christmas is a very miserable time for most people, they find it hard with the constant bombardment of ads to spend, spend, spend. Many this year have no money. Then you look to the royalty of the country and see how they are in solidarity with your position. You see no one. According to a recent estimate, the annual cost per TD to the State is €277,063 – or more than €46m in total.

eg: Fine Gael senator Paul Bradford said he too could not understand why there was a mobile phone allowance. "Why is a TD's mobile phone allowance of €750 for phones and car kits payable every 18 months? "What other job would pay such an allowance?"
Firms may not pay a mobile phone allowance, but they do pay for mobile phones for employees, this usually alot more than €750 every 18 months.

Indeed mine was about €60 a month 10 years ago.

bob3367

Crazy horse 6

Wow really 13% Wow. Must be hard going from 90k to 78k. God help them. They should try and live on a wage that has been reduced from 25 to 21k with a family to feed and ever increasing prices.

Or even better still how about trying to care for someone with a disability and having your careers allowance cut again and again. Fc uk sake i thought everyone had to put on the green jersey for Ireland not just the less well off.

Crazy horse 6

The Dail is'nt a business.

Darn right it's not because if it was it would have went bust a long time ago. That shower could'nt run a whore house in a prision the bloody gimps. Nothing but teachers and career ladder climbers the lot of them.

Sync

Are u for real???. Those cuts only show just how over paid they were. Your posts always show someone who wants the Status quo to remain. No backbone......
I'm not saying they're not overpaid (I think they are), I'm saying an adult writing on the situation for an external reader like the oper pretends to do needs to accurately reflect what the situation is rather than just picking the bits they want to and pretending the other bits don't exist. Organisations and companies everywhere make tough decisions to reduce staff or reduce salaries. The dail are doing both and that needs to be acknowledged.

bob3367

Darn right it's not because if it was it would have went bust a long time ago. That shower could'nt run a whore house in a prision the bloody gimps. Nothing but teachers and career ladder climbers the lot of them.
Why dont you run for it and change it? There is no point in whinging about it that wont change it.

People voted these people in, thats the plain fact of the matter, its called democracy.

Sync

Wow really 13% Wow. Must be hard going from 90k to 78k. God help them. They should try and live on a wage that has been reduced from 25 to 21k with a family to feed and ever increasing prices.

Or even better still how about trying to care for someone with a disability and having your careers allowance cut again and again. Fc uk sake i thought everyone had to put on the green jersey for Ireland not just the less well off.
Agree on the carers allowance, but I've never understood the logic of asking people "oh well why don't you try and live on the salary of someone who's had more kids than they can afford and see how you'd like it". I know I wouldn't like it. I'd imagine the TDs are the same. That's why I worked hard in school, in college and in work so I could earn enough and plan my life well enough that I wouldn't have to do that.

zippo222

Firms may not pay a mobile phone allowance, but they do pay for mobile phones for employees, this usually alot more than €750 every 18 months.

Indeed mine was about €60 a month 10 years ago.
The €750 allowance every 18 months is for the actual phones, not the monthly tariff and call charges.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies