No Irish need apply ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidanodr

Website
quangoland.blogspot.com
No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back

No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

"'No Irish need apply' - the signs are already going up on building sites abroad in a throwback to the grim days of the the last century.

But this time they are starting to appear in Poland as that country takes its revenge for the way in which some unscrupulous Irish contractors treated their countrymen during the years of the Celtic Tiger."

A case of what goes around comes around??

Aidan

mr_anderson

No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

"'No Irish need apply' - the signs are already going up on building sites abroad in a throwback to the grim days of the the last century.

But this time they are starting to appear in Poland as that country takes its revenge for the way in which some unscrupulous Irish contractors treated their countrymen during the years of the Celtic Tiger."

Aidan
Probably no more than a local piss-take.
A non-story.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I condemn this but equally I condemn the Dickensian pay and conditions imposed on migrant labour in this country. There is an interdependence between fair pay and conditions for migrants and job-security for Irish workers.

blinding

What goes around comes around.

Unfortunately this "revenge" will be taken out against working people(Irish)

Many Irish employers have disgraced themselves in their treatment of working people both immigrant and indigenous Irish.

My advice to maltreated workers of whatever backround is to have long memories and where possible whether by economic means or social interaction leave the averacious in no doubt as to what we think of their behaviour.

euroboy

Yeah what comes around goes around.

But this is likely to hurt Irish workers that were in no position of power to inflict poor pay and working conditions on Polish workers here.

I also think the notices are slightly insensitive and stir up feelings from the past when No Irish signs were in the UK and the US.

In any case, regardless of how poorly Polish workers were treated here, those signs are against EC law(non discrimination of nationality and racial legislation).

Though it is worrying how many Polish feel towards the Irish and Ireland after their bad experiences and exploition during their stay here.

What goes around comes around.

Unfortunately this "revenge" will be taken out against working people(Irish)

Many Irish employers have disgraced themselves in their treatment of working people both immigrant and indigenous Irish.

My advice to maltreated workers of whatever backround is to have long memories and where possible whether by economic means or social interaction leave the averacious in no doubt as to what we think of their behaviour.
What are "indigenous Irish"? Are we like some tribe of American Indians?

I'm Irish. Drop that silly word "indigenous". If people in Ireland are not Irish they're foreigners.

Is that too complicated for you?

If you think Mass Immigration is a good idea, ask a Palestinian.

Yeah what comes around goes around.

But this is likely to hurt Irish workers that were in no position of power to inflict poor pay and working conditions on Polish workers here.

I also think the notices are slightly insensitive and stir up feelings from the past when No Irish signs were in the UK and the US.

In any case, regardless of how poorly Polish workers were treated here, those signs are against EC law(non discrimination of nationality and racial legislation).

Though it is worrying how many Polish feel towards the Irish and Ireland after their bad experiences and exploition during their stay here.
I thought the Poles all loved us. Hundreds of nauseating postings on this site said so!

Truth.ie

I think the greatest threat to Irish builders is themselves.
They (not all) have lost the hunger to work, and have become overpaid,arrogant and lazy. Some wouldn't even get out of bed for less than a grand a week.
This attitude will soon change though.
Incidentally, I've worked in building sites for 20 years and I've seen the changes.

blinding

What are "indigenous Irish"? Are we like some tribe of American Indians?

I'm Irish. Drop that silly word "indigenous". If people in Ireland are not Irish they're foreigners.

Is that too complicated for you?

Whats wrong with American Indians.

I apologise if you do not like being called indigenous but its not a derogatory term.

I am not in favour of immigration at a level where ruthless employers can treat workers, Irish or otherwise as badly as they have done in the last few years and will treat even worse in the current situation.

I believe that we have many of the same values and am surprised by the confrontational tone of your post.

I am more sympathetic to the palistinians than the Israeli's if that makes any difference.

Catalpa

Aidan
And does it never occur to you or Mr Kilcoyne or these Racist (thankfully few) Polish builders that Irish workers too suffer at the hands of unscrupulous employers?

BTW where were the Trade Unions and the Left in general on the lead up to the opening up of Ireland to cheap foreign labour when all this was mooted and then implemented in the period 2002-2004?

Did indeed Mr Kilcoyne have anything to say at that time to the all too obvious consequences that were bound to follow?

Or was he one of the cheerleaders that Mass Immigration would be a wonderful experience for us all?

hiding behind a poster

Or was he one of the cheerleaders that Mass Immigration would be a wonderful experience for us all?
Catalpa, the words "mass" and "immigration" should not, when used in the middle of a sentence, have capital letters.

Aidan
And the evidence aside from someone out to make a name from himself is where ?

Catalpa, the words "mass" and "immigration" should not, when used in the middle of a sentence, have capital letters.
Yes they do. I should know, as it was me who coined the phrase, some six or seven years ago.

I was unhappy with the use of the single word "immigration", since what was going on was not a mere extension of the immigration that Ireland has been receiving for centuries, generally with benign results. The influx of vast numbers of foreigners had nothing in common with immigrations we have seen, such as the arrival of Italians in the 20th century, or Lithuanian Jews in the 19th, or even German Pallatines in the eighteenth. These were all good.

Mass Immigration, in contrast, represented something quite new, with no roots or precedents in our history. I saw it as something quite pathological and virulent, and that's why I felt a new term was needed.

If you think Mass Immgration is a good idea, ask a Palestinian.

workinman

No Irish need apply

I think the greatest threat to Irish builders is themselves.
They (not all) have lost the hunger to work, and have become overpaid,arrogant and lazy. Some wouldn't even get out of bed for less than a grand a week.
This attitude will soon change though.
Incidentally, I've worked in building sites for 20 years and I've seen the changes.
I have worked in construction for over 20 year's myself, I never received 1000euro and my work was probably the most labour intensive {brickies lab} and there is no way you can say we are lazy. For a G.O. to earn that amount of money he would have to put in an awful lot of hour's. I have seen the change's also and I can tell you this some of us fought hard for them, that is the reason they used this downturn to get rid of us and use subcontract/agency as they are easier to exploit.

Truth.ie

I have worked in construction for over 20 year's myself, I never received 1000euro and my work was probably the most labour intensive {brickies lab} and there is no way you can say we are lazy. For a G.O. to earn that amount of money he would have to put in an awful lot of hour's. I have seen the change's also and I can tell you this some of us fought hard for them, that is the reason they used this downturn to get rid of us and use subcontract/agency as they are easier to exploit.
I'm not referring to general operatives. I'm talking about a large constituency within the Bricklaying and plastering field. The kind of people who won't roll a wheel-barrow for ten metres or help stack a few blocks, because "it's not their job".

macdarawhitfield

Aidan
Fair play to them.But no Irish need apply here either.Especially in the haulage business.Doesn't matter now anyway as -- We're all doomed capt.!!

McDave

The Celtic Hyena bitten...

Our pre-Celtic Vulture self-image included such good, clean fun stuff as "Kiss me, I'm Irish" hats and t-shirts, but also the widely-held and naive assertion that there was no racism in Ireland.

I'm not saying we were ever perfect, but we crossed a cultural line when we had a radio ad a few years back in which a kind of snide D4 West-Britty male slags off an outback Okker describing him in condescending terms as "thick as a dingo's toenail". For me that was chattering-class, morkeshing Ireland deciding we had made it and we had to find less sophisticated people to piss down on (Australians as it happens). Quite a disgusting little episode in our meeja history.

But since then we've gone on to nakedly exploit all manner of east Europeans, Asians and others in our hotels, restaurants and homes and on our ferries without the slightest ripple of conscience. Some of these people do OK out of the deal. But I'm equally sure that when numerous Poles, Latvians, Romanians and Chinese go home they have not a few squalid stories about our arrogance and boorish behaviour.

"I've had enough..." go the anti-booze ads. I'm sure it ain't just Irish nurses and taxi-drivers who feel that way...

joel

Aidan

I'd say there are far more Poles in Ireland than vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Most Replies