No it's not your lucky day, it's the other meaning. Trouble at Ryan

Shpake

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/passengers-see-our-ryanair-uniforms-and-think-we-are-out-to-screw-them-1.3234310
Passengers see our Ryanair uniforms and think we are out to screw them

Would seem that the Irish Times is plugging for the stewardesses as the first 100 lines or so show that there is one loada trouble up there in the skies.
They finish with Ryan's response

Ryanair cabin crew earn up to €40,000 per annum and enjoy great terms and conditions including job security, a recently-negotiated five year pay deal with guaranteed pay increases, a five on, three off roster (a bank holiday weekend every week), a legal max of 900 flight hours annum (just 18 hours per week), great sales commissions which further boosts pay, free training, sick pay and an annual uniform payment of up to €425. This is why we currently have a waiting list of over 3,000 young people who all hope to join Ryanair’s cabin crew team, at a time when other airlines and their unions are negotiating job cuts, pension cuts and pay cuts. We don’t comment on rumour or speculation, especially when it originates from competitor airline unions.
Which makes it sound a bit like "He says, she says" so the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I have to say during my last trip with Ryan air it came across as like commercial radio. Every five minutes or so some sort of add for -- scratch-cards, perfume, more scratch-cards, more something else. Suffice to say next time bring your earplugs or your MP3 player.

statsman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/passengers-see-our-ryanair-uniforms-and-think-we-are-out-to-screw-them-1.3234310

Would seem that the Irish Times is plugging for the stewardesses as the first 100 lines or so show that there is one loada trouble up there in the skies.

Which makes it sound a bit like "He says, she says" so the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I have to say during my last trip with Ryan air it came across as like commercial radio. Every five minutes or so some sort of add for -- scratch-cards, perfume, more scratch-cards, more something else. Suffice to say next time bring your earplugs or your MP3 player.
There's certainly a sense of trouble at t'mill with Ryanair at the moment; can O'Leary pull it round.

And yes, I know they carry more passengers than the England soccer team, but even successful businesses can find it hard to turn things around when the slide begins.

Niall996

Worst private sector company ever to come out of Ireland. Our greatest embarrassment.

wombat

Worst private sector company ever to come out of Ireland. Our greatest embarrassment.
Unless you bought their shares or fly with them.:lol:

SeanieFitz

Earplugs only way to go.

Hopefully this whole clusterf0ck will result in an improvement in the terms and conditions of employment for all Ryanair staff

I expect it will also lead to EU regulations on the responsibilities of airlines towards their passengers

Dearghoul

Unless you're a complete snob, then you must acknowledge that Ryanair brought great things to the market, little PR glitches like their representative mentioning that some passengers had only paid ten Euros when one of their aeroplanes fell 260 feet over France, and that dreadful girl that wanted everyone to buy scratch cards for their 'Charidees' in a horrendeous American/Dort mashup and the bloody trumpet when you'd arrived on time.....'congratulations, you are on another on time Ryanair flight', I'll never forget it.

But I will forget even less the national carrier somehow convincing all and sundry that a return flight to Dublin from London cost upwards of the average weekly wage.

I will miss Ryanair.

Shpake

Earplugs only way to go.

Hopefully this whole clusterf0ck will result in an improvement in the terms and conditions of employment for all Ryanair staff

I expect it will also lead to EU regulations on the responsibilities of airlines towards their passengers
Yeah. So there we have it: T&C towards staff; T&C towards passengers; T&C towards management == well I'm sure they're already well looked after. Then there's the shareholders. Aaaah! then there's the price of the ticket!
The market is always right and it self-corrects :|

Shpake

Michael O'Leary -- simply a genius at public relations -- is alleged to have said:
"If you don't like me, you can bukker off!

Which is what a lot of people have done. To his credit he has brought down the prices. I recall the old Aer Lingus near monopoly days and near monopoly prices. The trouble is that Ryan has got so big they are nearly a monopoly now.

Shpake

There's certainly a sense of trouble at t'mill with Ryanair at the moment; can O'Leary pull it round.

And yes, I know they carry more passengers than the England soccer team, but even successful businesses can find it hard to turn things around when the slide begins.
Share price back up again today. Some institutional fund seems to think it's OK.

The Field Marshal

So an Irish company manages to make air travel throughout Europe considerably cheaper for everybody bringing immense business activity to all areas of Europe and you manage a brain fart like that above post.

Go and get help.

:roll:

Shpake

Unless you're a complete snob, then you must acknowledge that Ryanair brought great things to the market, little PR glitches like their representative mentioning that some passengers had only paid ten Euros when one of their aeroplanes fell 260 feet over France, and that dreadful girl that wanted everyone to buy scratch cards for their 'Charidees' in a horrendeous American/Dort mashup and the bloody trumpet when you'd arrived on time.....'congratulations, you are on another on time Ryanair flight', I'll never forget it.

But I will forget even less the national carrier somehow convincing all and sundry that a return flight to Dublin from London cost upwards of the average weekly wage.

I will miss Ryanair.
On the one hand a great achievement to have come from a small one-plane operation across the Irish sea to be out-besting and bullying the big fellows like British Airways and Lufthansa. Looks like all the low-hanging fruit is gone and he's scraping pennies though. This can be so -- what's the word? un-dignifying, and it makes it worse because you are cooped up in a tight space with the engines and airflow whistling by you for two, three hours and you await the danger-time -- coming in to land.
Imagine if he had forced through his policy of charging you to go to the toilet. (Yes!) That was one of his proposals a few years back.
REad the story of the poor stewardesses obliged to out-sell one another forty thousand feet up. Sheesh.
And every ten minutes the squawk-box goes off and they announce the next sale.
Don't forget your earplugs and maybe a dhrop of the hard to get you through

The Field Marshal

Michael O'Leary -- simply a genius at public relations -- is alleged to have said:
"If you don't like me, you can bukker off!

Which is what a lot of people have done. To his credit he has brought down the prices. I recall the old Aer Lingus near monopoly days and near monopoly prices. The trouble is that Ryan has got so big they are nearly a monopoly now.
It is not just bringing down prices it is popularising air travel as a "norm".
Low cost air fares have brought enormous business gains throughout Europe.
Ryanair are in the vanguard of that.

Shpake

It is not just bringing down prices it is popularising air travel as a "norm".
Low cost air fares have brought enormous business gains throughout Europe.
Ryanair are in the vanguard of that.
I had the experience once of sitting in an airport in Germany. Lots of German holliday-makers queueing to fly off to the sun. Within five minutes the landscape ? shopscape? terminalscape? had changed completely. One would think that one was in Japan with all the similar-looking japanese in white shirts and suits carrying briefcases. Ten minutes later and it was like little America... then some arrival from India came.
Airports ... they are the modern Central Railway Stations of the world. Good for people-watching.

Tommy12345

"we have to sell products to passengers, and if we don’t sell enough we will be disciplined; we will be called to Dublin and forced to explain ourselves.

"Today on my early-morning flight the average-spend-per-passenger target was just over €1. If there are 180 people on the plane that means that the four crew have to generate sales of €180. It is almost impossible to reach that target. And they tell us that if want to get back to a base in our home country, or if we want to get promoted, or if we want to swap a day with another colleague so we can go to the wedding of our brother, then we have to reach our targets."

Not alone are employees only paid for the time the plane is actually up in the air, they're also placed under constant pressure to meet sales targets that have zip all to do with their core duties. Appalling stuff.

The Field Marshal

I had the experience once of sitting in an airport in Germany. Lots of German holliday-makers queueing to fly off to the sun. Within five minutes the landscape ? shopscape? terminalscape? had changed completely. One would think that one was in Japan with all the similar-looking japanese in white shirts and suits carrying briefcases. Ten minutes later and it was like little America... then some arrival from India came.
Airports ... they are the modern Central Railway Stations of the world. Good for people-watching.
They would be acceptable were it not for the humiliating and degrading security procedures.
I accept that they are necessary but surely something better can be devised.

Ryanair could certainly improve its customer information platform along with a customised airport itinerary.
I almost missed a flight being unaware of a final govt passport control check prior to entering the boarding area.

Tommy12345

They would be acceptable were it not for the humiliating and degrading security procedures.

Ryanair could certainly improve its customer information platform along with a customised airport itinerary.
I almost missed a flight being unaware of a final govt passport control check prior to entering the boarding area.
You rightly object to 'humiliating and degrading' treatment of consumers. Why then do you show zero empathy when humiliating and degrading treatment of employees is highlighted?

soubresauts

Ryanair cancelled the flight I had booked for next month. With a little trouble I booked on a later flight instead.

Today Ryanair sent me an apology and a €80 voucher.

Shpake

I had the simply rivetting opportunity of changing planes in Rome to go onto the US. Found a seat. Looked at the arrivals schedule. It was on something like a desktop computer. No sign. I waited. Looked again. No sign. Rinse & Repeat. Then a gnawing feeling came over me. There's another desktop computer down the corridor. Maybe that's got additional information on it. Scurried down the corridor to look and there was another computer further down... they all had different departure or arrival schedules on them. Soon found my flght with 20 minutes to go in Terminal Chinkwa-chento dooay. Marathon dash with two oversize suitcases... and made it to the plane to the U.S.
On a few occasions I've seen that the Italians and Spaniard have a different approach to giving information to Northern Europeans who put it all on one big board. Departures and Arrivals. Italians do it like in the restaurants. A plate full of peas, another plate full of spuds a plate with the steak etc.

In Madrid. Aslo hectic . Had to Change planes. But no one seemed to be able to speak English. Tried my French: Same blank response. German: No go. My Italian ... they just only spoke Spanish... In Madrid Airport .. I'm talking about policemen and officials and people who were looking important.

The Field Marshal

Ryanair cancelled the flight I had booked for next month. With a little trouble I booked on a later flight instead.

Today Ryanair sent me an apology and a €80 voucher.
Voucher.?

I usually call them ouchers.

What must you spend it on?

I know tickets for one on a Ryanair flight to the Munich beer fest.

New Threads

Most Replies