No man will ever stand on the street and inspire people again.

st333ve

What happened to the man or woman who stood up on the street and rallied people around, inspired people to tackle social probems etc?

Historically the establishment always feared such a figure as they were on a level with the people they could never be at.

Such a person can cause massive change, today the people who caused mass financial misery are the only ones who don't pay for it.

The rich-poor divide has increased as the most wealthy have INCREASED their wealth and are enjoying a boom at the expense of our recession.

Where is our figure head, the common man rallying people around to stop this?
Throughout history such an injustice was always challenged by such a figure, today there is a void.
There is no-one for people to put their faith into, to listen to and be inspired.

Has the internet and various electronic ways to express ourselves removed the prospect of any one man becoming an inspiration again?

People sit at home buried in their I-Phone, unrest and peoples opposition on the streets is rendered powerless.

johnnypockets

What happened to the man or woman who stood up on the street and rallied people around, inspired people to tackle social probems etc?

Historically the establishment always feared such a figure as they were on a level with the people they could never be at.

Such a person can cause massive change, today the people who caused mass financial misery are the only ones who don't pay for it.

The rich-poor divide has increased as the most wealthy have INCREASED their wealth and are enjoying a boom at the expense of our recession.

Where is our figure head, the common man rallying people around to stop this?
Throughout history such an injustice was always challenged by such a figure, today there is a void.
There is no-one for people to put their faith into, to listen to and be inspired.

Has the internet and various electronic ways to express ourselves removed the prospect of any one man becoming an inspiration again?
Never had we need a figure so much. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening anytime soon. People are crying out for a hero. Just look at the obsession with shows like the xfactor.
I think the problem is that the media is now so powerful and always controlled by the establishment.
Couple this with the apathy of people in general(a little rant on forums such as this is as far as people will go)...myself included.

ocoonassa

Er.....the cops are called and they get sectioned, given tablets, and bib to soak up the dribble. I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong on that.

needle_too

I love to see Bertie standing out on the Airport road in Dumcondra.
In rush hour.

LeDroit

Larkin was English. Maybe we need another man with an English accent. ;)

TradCat

The best speaker of that type I ever heard was Bernadette Devlin. She was electrifying. Joe Duffy in his USI days was pretty good too.

Panopticon

Most of the answers are indeed in your own post.

1. As exemplified by your iPhone example, living standards are much, much, much better nowadays than they were 100 years ago. We also no longer have the national issue to arouse tempers. Our lives are simply less dependent on the decisions of politicians whom we cannot control, and more within our own control. For instance, the cost of Anglo Irish Bank to taxpayers is less of a hardship on its victims than was the slum housing in Dublin.
2. People are more sceptical about those who seek to lead them. Hero worship has almost died in modern society, and it's dead for politicians, maybe excluding Mandela.
3. Organisations nowadays have less authoritarian structures, so a single person matters less.
4. Oratory matters less, because people can now read. They can also watch TV. These are much more efficient ways of conveying information than public speeches, though TV is mostly controlled by forces opposed to radical political change.
5. Mostly, rich people will be paying the price for bad government spending decisions. They have other ways to organise, they are not seeking radical political change in any case, and the large amount of money that they will lose in tax will hurt them less than the slum housing hurt poor people.

niropiro

One day a King will come and the sword will rise...AGAIN

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvBOnoNQzQ&feature=related]YouTube - excalibur end[/ame]

Conrad

The days of one learned person leading the way to masses of uneducated followers are over, thankfully. Times have changed, and relying on that past mindset is destined for failure. Waiting for Bonnie Prince Charlie to come and fix everything just makes everything worse. If you want change you have to make it happen, not wait for some charistmatic leader to do it for you. We have the infrastructure and ammenities available to people nowdays, like never before, for a mass movement with direct democratic principals to take off.

darkhorse

in case you havent noticed there are at least 2 key differences from the days of james larkin
- public speaking is now done on tv/radio/internet, we dont all live in inner city tenements
- we now have democracy and we can now elect leaders with the policies we prefer
these days, street actions such as this are only done by the far left attempting to achieve credibility by mimicing leaders of an earlier age

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
This sort of thing never happened, that someone stood on a platform and with that alone inspired people. It was the long hard slog of meetings and organising that got things going not stand alone speeches. That sort of thing is an invention of Hollywood.

Radix

Dev did that too. Fundraising. :)
Nice one Le Droit, quantitive easing dollars were always sent home in difficult times.

I don't know if you got the Times today; there's an article on page fifteen entitled, "A Chance to start again, thinking anew", which might provide you food for a new thread sometime.

Would do it myself, but there's no Thread starter button on my page (never has been) for some reason.

Enjoy your contributions by the way.

LeDroit

Nice one Le Droit, quantitive easing dollars were always sent home in difficult times.

I don't know if you got the Times today; there's an article on page fifteen entitled, "A Chance to start again, thinking anew", which might provide you food for a new thread sometime.

Would do it myself, but there's no Thread starter button on my page (never has been) for some reason.

Contact a moderator by PM. You should be able to start threads after posting a hundred posts or something. Might go and buy the paper. Wonder if it's online?

Red_93

Go to a particular forum, then click the "new thread" button at the top left of the green box.

We don't even have a "Speakers' Corner" here, where we might get the chance to hear someone brilliant. Anyway, with all the bloody mobile phones going off you'd never hear anything these days.

Why have we never had a "speakers' corner. Could we start one?

New Threads

Most Replies