No more buying Petrol or Diesel cars in Ireland after 2030 ..

robut

You won't be able to buy a petrol or diesel car in Ireland after 2030

THE HUMBLE PETROL and diesel car will have seen its last days in Ireland if the Project Ireland 2040 plan comes true.

The plan, announced today, commits a total of €22 billion to climate action, with the bulk of that – €13.7 billion – being spent on energy investment.

A further €3 billion will go towards retrofitting homes to make them energy efficient, but €200 million has also been set aside for the provision of infrastructure for electric vehicles.

This would include new charging points.

The plan says that by 2030 the government aims to have the number of electric vehicles on the roads at half a million – around a quarter of all cars on our roads.

However, the plan goes one step beyond that and proposes that no non-zero emission vehicles will be sold in Ireland after 2030.

After that, no NCT certs will be issued for non-zero emission vehicles after 2045. 52% of Ireland’s overall transport emissions come from private cars.
Mmmm .. where to start ..

My opinion on electric cars is, as of now, 120 to 150 kms range is just not enough? You would need 500kms or greater? Will battery tech be after sorting this by 2030?

Another Q .. will we find Battery powered cars falling suddenly out of favour similar to Diesel did recently? For some yet unknown reason?

And the following has me perplexed ... What numpty thought it a great idea to pick a definite date of 2030?

So, by say, 2020+, the purchase of new petrol, diesel, hybrid cars surely will fall from then because most will have on there mind .. "WHY would I bother investing in a new car then because I wont be able to sell it for a fiver come late 20xx and as 2030 approaches"

Thoughts?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Precisely:
... the plan goes one step beyond that and proposes that no non-zero emission vehicles will be sold in Ireland after 2030.

After that, no NCT certs will be issued for non-zero emission vehicles after 2045. 52% of Ireland’s overall transport emissions come from private cars.
In short, it's pressurising the motor manufacturers to do the decent thing, and stop polluting and poisoning the urban populace.

The Field Marshal

The lunatics are winning.

A sad day for common sense when the effects of the big lie promoted by the warmists is been taken on board by idiot Irish people who really ought to know better

robut

Precisely:

In short, it's pressurising the motor manufacturers to do the decent thing, and stop polluting and poisoning the urban populace.
OK, thats all fine. But Ireland on its own isnt a big enough market to pressure the motor manufacturers, this will need world wide coordination surely? And in many many other things thats not very easy ..

Can we see Trump going for this? As he will be with us for two terms anyway :D

Gin Soaked

My opinion on electric cars is, as of now, 120 to 150 kms range is just not enough? You would need 500kms or greater? Will battery tech be after sorting this by 2030?

Another Q .. will we find Battery powered cars falling suddenly out of favour similar to Diesel did recently? For some yet unknown reason?

And the following has me perplexed ... What numpty thought it a great idea to pick a definite date of 2030?

So, by say, 2020+, the purchase of new cars surely will fall from then because most will have on there mind .. "WHY would I bother investing in a new car then because I wont be able to sell it for a fiver come late 20xx and as 2030 approaches"

Thoughts?
Second hand market will still go strong for about 20 years after 2030. Until there is a way to do a round trip from Dublin to cork without a 3 hour layover and 30 mins stopped in Tipperary, the petrol/diesel/hybrids will still have a purpose. It'll be viable as long as the cost of fuel is not prohibitive and garages still sell fuel.

So expect it to take a good deal longer.

ruserious

It's the right move long term. 2030 though is medium term.

robut

Second hand market will still go strong for about 20 years after 2030. Until there is a way to do a round trip from Dublin to cork without a 3 hour layover and 30 mins stopped in Tipperary, the petrol/diesel/hybrids will still have a purpose. It'll be viable as long as the cost of fuel is not prohibitive and garages still sell fuel.

So expect it to take a good deal longer.
15 years max:

After that, no NCT certs will be issued for non-zero emission vehicles after 2045.

silverharp

lol

Bill

So, by say, 2020+, the purchase of new petrol, diesel, hybrid cars surely will fall from then because most will have on there mind .. "WHY would I bother investing in a new car then because I wont be able to sell it for a fiver come late 20xx and as 2030 approaches"

Thoughts?
The classic car folks will be lobbying to be left alone. Don't see a problem with that as the emissions from them are negligible.

raetsel

The lunatics are winning.

A sad day for common sense when the effects of the big lie promoted by the warmists is been taken on board by idiot Irish people who really ought to know better
If, like me, you suffered from asthma, you'd be pleased.

Gin Soaked

OK, thats all fine. But Ireland on its own isnt a big enough market to pressure the motor manufacturers, this will need world wide coordination surely? And in many many other things thats not very easy ..

Can we see Trump going for this? As he will be with us for two terms anyway :D
We are just going to fall into line with whatever the UK are doing. We buy the same cars and cog their homework on laws...

Even post Brexit, I don't see this changing....

Niall996

I think it's plenty of time to replenish old petrol/diesel stock. By the time it comes around all manufacturers (including cars like Porsche, Ferrari, Rolls Royce etc) will all be electric. And the range issue will have been improved dramatically. I wonder about the classic car market. That has boomed in the last ten years. These cars will have no where to drive anymore.

Analyzer

No dandruff either in 2030 ?

A really unworkable and clueless proposal.

Incidentally, Tesla consumes more carbon via the electricity system, than the Diesel engine.

And TESLA is the ulitmate Liberal Brand symbol.

dresden8

The classic car folks will be lobbying to be left alone. Don't see a problem with that as the emissions from them are negligible.
Where will they buy petrol though? In the chemist like in the 19 ought diggidies?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Except Germany, the UK and California (!), among others, are already on the same song-sheet.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies