• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

No more Irish titles for the sake of an Irish title

Schomberg

Right, time to ruffle a few feathers but the police thread got me thinking about this horrible way we just slap an Irish word onto something in order to a) make ourselves a little bit different from The British and b) a little sop to the Irish language, which lets face is, about sums up most peoples attitudes towards it and if I was an Irish speaker I think I'd find the whole thing rather patronising.

So, Gardai should just become Police, Taoiseach should just be Prime Minister (not interested in some wisearse telling me taoiseach means something else entirely so PM is not suitable), no more bilingual signs inside government and/or state buildings (Room 51/Rum 51) unless they are in Gaeltacht areas (they could have Irish only), same goes for road signage.

Let rip!

Clanrickard

Right, time to ruffle a few feathers but the police thread got me thinking about this horrible way we just slap an Irish word onto something in order to a) make ourselves a little bit different from The British and b) a little sop to the Irish language, which lets face is, about sums up most peoples attitudes towards it and if I was an Irish speaker I think I'd find the whole thing rather patronising.

So, Gardai should just become Police, Taoiseach should just be Prime Minister (not interested in some wisearse telling me taoiseach means something else entirely so PM is not suitable), no more bilingual signs inside government and/or state buildings (Room 51/Rum 51) unless they are in Gaeltacht areas (they could have Irish only), same goes for road signage.

Let rip!
Zú le do thoil

Last edited:

Clanrickard

statsman

Let rip!
Sad little attempt at stirring it, really. A trip to the Park, perhaps?

eoghanacht

Let rip!

Funny how all this bothers you over there in Mother Engerlund :lol:

R

Ramps

Let rip!
It would be very difficult to justify the changes you suggest so long as Irish remains as the first language of state. I can't envisage any political party's suggesting the constitutional primacy of Irish be removed (remember how quick FG dropped its proposal to make Irish optional in school?!), nor could I see a majority of Irish people, who have a bizarre relationship with Irish, supporting such a change even if a proposal were made.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with the piety for a while yet. :)

Rural

When I was young, I was handed a hatred of the Irish language, teachers and parents alike gave me this "gift". My Father was fluent, he learned everything through Irish (even Latin) but he never spoke it and he never helped with homework.

My boys did well in Irish, Hubby is great at it and helped them a lot. But, my hatred arrived at a very young age.

Monday Monday

Obligatory whine about changing everything into German because they own the kip now anyway.

Hating a language is weird.

PS
No offence to Rural. I too hated An Teanga after interfacing with the Irish secondary school system.

Schomberg

It would be very difficult to justify the changes you suggest so long as Irish remains as the first language of state. I can't envisage any political party's suggesting the constitutional primacy of Irish be removed (remember how quick FG dropped its proposal to make Irish optional in school?!), nor could I see a majority of Irish people, who have a bizarre relationship with Irish, supporting such a change even if a proposal were made.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with the piety for a while yet. :)
Indeed, though we can dream that one day we won't have to listen to someone talk about phoning the guards

Schomberg

sondagefaux

Relax. According to TA, now that the Irish aren't saying decades of the rosary every five minutes, Ireland is just provincial British in culture.

Mr. Bumble

Indeed, though we can dream that one day we won't have to listen to someone talk about phoning the guards
Why would you dream that? Perhaps you should aspire to loftier ambitions.

Schomberg

Why would you dream that? Perhaps you should aspire to loftier ambitions.
I dunno about you, but I've lots of dreams. Ranging from world peace to a good chippie on the weekend. Widen your horizons Mr. Bumble.

Rural

I can understand more French, Spanish and German, than I can Irish - when I was 6 they taught us Irish grammar, even before I knew what the word grammar meant.

And - This is not a place for the Zoo, this is a valuable debate!!