No more meat and dairy to save the world?

sic transit

There a new report out, referenced here.

Human diet causing damage - Lancet

which suggests we need to change everything about diet. Some might just see it as more of a push for vegetarianism/veganism but the argument is that it will ultimately help the planet, those who cannot feed themselves now and the 11 million who die as a result of bad diet. Long on aspiration it doesn't seem to offer too many methods of doing so beyond taxing bad things.

sic transit

silverharp

grazing animals help the top soil, turn it all into industrial monoculture grains and you can kiss goodbye to the soil. Meat for people who attend Davos, veganism for everyone else......

Catalpast

Agriculture is a Business

It produces saleable products

There is a reason we eat so much meat, eggs, fish, milk

Its High Protein Food

That is customer choice

Why are products 'treated' before they hit the shelfs

- to preserve them from going off

- and make sure they are safe to eat

Why do we need to buy most if not all of our food this way?

Because we live in increasingly urbanised environments

- its just not practically possible to grow any if at all of our own food from our own plots of land.

Of course we can improve our diet

Try and use more fruit, veg & cut out the Burgers & Chips etc as a regular part of our diet makes good sense

But this Report is IMO - Pie in the Sky!

silverharp

Go back 50 years and people were much healthier due to their diet, not much sugar , only eating 3 times a day and not consuming industrial seed oils. Then some dodgy studies came along and everyone switched to “low fat” and seed oils instead of animal fat and obesity took off

Catalpast

Go back 50 years and people were much healthier due to their diet, not much sugar , only eating 3 times a day and not consuming industrial seed oils. Then some dodgy studies came along and everyone switched to “low fat” and seed oils instead of animal fat and obesity took off
Most people in Ireland back then were eating meals that what today would be called 'unhealthy' diets

Spuds with everything!

Less chocolate and sweets

Less pre packaged foodstuffs

But they also did [on average] more physically demanding work

- and did a lot more walking...……………………………………………………..

silverharp

Most people in Ireland back then were eating meals that what today would be called 'unhealthy' diets

Spuds with everything!

Less chocolate and sweets

Less pre packaged foodstuffs

But they also did [on average] more physically demanding work

- and did a lot more walking...……………………………………………………..
My memory was that adults didn't really eat chocolate, crisps or drink coke etc now most adults are suckers for the cr@p. Lard was the standard cooking oil. yeah I doubt even the gym would make up for running a house with no electric gadgets

GDPR

I would be suspicious of reports that try to link the food we eat with (alleged) climate change. It's not clear that significantly altering our diets will have a huge effect on climate patterns (If indeed climate change is a serious threat (which is highly doubtful) ). That said it is obvious that people need to eat a much healthier, balanced diet. The number of obese children in Ireland is very worrying.

As an aside, I was watching a documentary about Bob Dylan recently and it showed clips from performances at a folk festival in the 1960s. The thing that struck me most was how healthy and thin the audience members were. There wasn't an overweight person in sight.

okibb

My personal opinion is that if we can feed more people, we will breed more people.

The argument for efficiency is only going to make room for more people.

The global population is said to top-out at around 10Bn, anyway and recede from there.

silverharp

I would be suspicious of reports that try to link the food we eat with (alleged) climate change. It's not clear that significantly altering our diets will have a huge effect on climate patterns (If indeed climate change is a serious threat (which is highly doubtful) ). That said it is obvious that people need to eat a much healthier, balanced diet. The number of obese children in Ireland is very worrying.

As an aside, I was watching a documentary about Bob Dylan recently and it showed clips from performances at a folk festival in the 1960s. The thing that struck me most was how healthy and thin the audience members were. There wasn't an overweight person in sight.
New York in 1911 or so

[video=youtube;aohXOpKtns0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohXOpKtns0[/video]

Voluntary

Most meats we eat is ************************ anyway. Number of chemicals injected to preserve and gain weight is unbelievable. That's on top of animals being fed with antibiotics and steroids which then we consume.
And this is only the clean meat we eat.

Now, processed meat....

PS. Enjoy your breakfast sausage lads :D

deepness

Have to be honest, the more I hear of climate changes and the arguments that will fix or make it worse, the less I believe any of them.

A few years ago diesel cars were the saviour of the world, sure even have chepaer road tax...diesel is great. Now its a big problem.

Now its cows and sugar,.

Yawn.

valamhic

Too many people in the world as it is. Not necessarily a bad thing.
How can an excess of something not be a bad thing? Surely if there is too much of it, it is a bad thing. If we remove the double negatives it reads "there are too many people in the world which a good".

Or "The more people on the Earth the better"

Or a low world population is bad, therefore we need more. A subsidy for fertility on the way not doubt.

hollandia

How can an excess of something not be a bad thing? Surely if there is too much of it, it is a bad thing. If we remove the double negatives it reads "there are too many people in the world which a good".

Or "The more people on the Earth the better"

Or a low world population is bad, therefore we need more. A subsidy for fertility on the way not doubt.
Look Val, we know you struggle with comprehension, but you really don't need to display it with every single post.
Context is everything.

GDPR

New York in 1911 or so

[video=youtube;aohXOpKtns0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohXOpKtns0[/video]
That's fascinating, thanks.

Here is a clip from the documentary I was referring to. Not only are the audience members thin, but it's from a time where people could concentrate on a performance without staring into phones. I wonder how much our obsession with phones etc. has contributed to obesity levels. How many people would rather spend an evening browsing twitter and facebook rather than go for a long walk?

Bob Dylan at Newport Folk Festival
[video=youtube;OeP4FFr88SQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeP4FFr88SQ[/video]

valamhic

grazing animals help the top soil, turn it all into industrial monoculture grains and you can kiss goodbye to the soil. Meat for people who attend Davos, veganism for everyone else......
Last year, my slurry spreading contractor took a few phone calls on his mobile, but left the value slightly open due to a fault. This was in mid April. The 7 acre field was mowed in June and after grass grew sparingly. . The summer was hot and dry and by August, a brilliant crop of mushrooms emerged in the midst of good green grass and a few other unusual plants with them. The vital point is that slurry should be spread in dry conditions and when it is, the environment benefits. These mushrooms were succulent when cooked or eaten raw.

New Threads

Most Replies