• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

No more referenda?

Disillusioned democrat

It would seem from the 9 o'clock news last night (Sun) that the government aren't happy with the people for voting the way they did and won't hold any more referenda.

David Davin-Power quoted a text from "senior government minister" telling him not to hold his breath for the Seanad Reform referendum.

I found it very disturbing - not surprising - that RTE didn't make more of an issue of the government basically telling us - the voters and tax payers - that they won't be seeking our opinion any more because they don't like what we're telling them.

I got a sense from the advertising for the recent referendum that we were supposed to feel empowered and somewhat grateful to our leaders to be allowed have the "final" say in our constitution, but that's ridiculous when you consider who gets to decide when and on what topic we ever have referenda.

Anyway - FG/Lab seem keen to shut off access to any more pesky votes because they don't like our tone - but Seanad Reform referenda an election promise, so how are they going to swing that one?

Levellers

Didn't see that but it does not surprise me.

The way Shatter reacted to the Supreme Court ruling tells you what they think of their entitlement.

Mountaintop

Jebus...I'd hate to see how they'd feel if they lost...

I'm going to hold my ire until I read the 'no more referenda' information booklet.

stopdoingstuff

I don't blame them, to be honest. The last referendum was a car crash, partially due the government's own fault and partially to the opportinity it gave to paranoid schizophrenics to indulge their morbid fantasies.
If only they were all smart like you:)

Mountaintop

I don't blame them, to be honest. The last referendum was a car crash, partially due the government's own fault and partially to the opportinity it gave to paranoid schizophrenics to indulge their morbid fantasies.
They'd achieve the same result by exiling Dana...

ruserious

Irony Watch: If there were to be no more referenda, one would need a referendum to validate it.

Disillusioned democrat

To be honest I'm surprised at how little interest this has gotten.

We pretend to be an open democracy by offering referenda every now and again, but, it would seem, only when it suits the government and their agenda.

Seanad Reform referendum an election promise now supposedly "long fingered" because government aren't sure they can get answer THEY want...aren't referenda about fining out what WE want?

goosebump

I found it very disturbing - not surprising - that RTE didn't make more of an issue of the government basically telling us - the voters and tax payers - that they won't be seeking our opinion any more because they don't like what we're telling them.
It isn't that the Government are afraid of what people are telling them, its that a clear pattern is emerging whereby many people are using referenda to vent their frustration at the Government.

That isn't a safe way to run a country, and effectively makes us prisoners of our own constitution.

Many countries have commited the practice of referendum to the dustbin of history. We on the other hand trot them out like billy-o. We've had 31 since 1937.

S

simeongrimes

Do they honestly believe that they would have trouble passing a referendum to abolish the Seanad? We'd take their hand off on that one. Even in Donegal.

ger12

It isn't that the Government are afraid of what people are telling them, its that a clear pattern is emerging whereby many people are using referenda to vent their frustration at the Government.

That isn't a safe way to run a country, and effectively makes us prisoners of our own constitution.

Many countries have commited the practice of referendum to the dustbin of history. We on the other hand trot them out like billy-o. We've had 31 since 1937.
Are you saying that the last referendum, where the EU Fiscal Treaty was passed comfortably, was used by the people to vent frustration at government?

You are seriously suggesting that the safest way to run Ireland is to leave all the big decisions to our politicians?

S

simeongrimes

Does that mean we won't be ratifying any more EU Treaties by the way? Who's going to tell the Germans?

B

Boggle

I thought FG promised to reform or get rid of the Seanad?
That'll come back to bite them I'd imagine.

As for the referendum result, they got it through... now lets hope all the fears truly were unfounded.

Household_charged

It would seem from the 9 o'clock news last night (Sun) that the government aren't happy with the people for voting the way they did and won't hold any more referenda.

David Davin-Power quoted a text from "senior government minister" telling him not to hold his breath for the Seanad Reform referendum.

I got a sense from the advertising for the recent referendum that we were supposed to feel empowered and somewhat grateful to our leaders to be allowed have the "final" say in our constitution, but that's ridiculous when you consider who gets to decide when and on what topic we ever have referenda.

Anyway - FG/Lab seem keen to shut off access to any more pesky votes because they don't like our tone - but Seanad Reform referenda an election promise, so how are they going to swing that one?
So, an anonymous Govt Minister is now official Govt policy?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies