• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

No petty people...famous Irish Protestants

Schomberg

Talking with a mate about this the other night and for such a small minority on the island, we've made an impact in virtually every aspect of life throughout the centuries way out of all proportion to our numbers.

Swift, Stoker, Yeats, Shaw, Lewis, George Berkley etc as writers, Tyndall, Hamilition, Parsons, Shackleton etc in sciences, Parnell, Carson, Emmet, Lord Castlereagh, Wellington, Burke, Berseford, Tone, Rowan, etc in politics, Charles Stanford comes to mind in music, but there's obviously modern people too. Connections to US presidents is gigantic as we all know, and some prominent symbols of Ireland have Protestant beginnings like Jameson and Guinness. Oldums was founded by Protestants too if I'm not mistaken. Not much of a symbol of Ireland I know, but a staple of every Irish household while I was growing up. Someone else might fill in the sporting personalities, I'm not too strong on those.

statsman

Talking with a mate about this the other night and for such a small minority on the island, we've made an impact in virtually every aspect of life throughout the centuries way out of all proportion to our numbers.

Swift, Stoker, Yeats, Shaw, Lewis, George Berkley etc as writers, Tyndall, Hamilition, Parsons, Shackleton etc in sciences, Parnell, Carson, Emmet, Lord Castlereagh, Wellington, Burke, Berseford, Tone, Rowan, etc in politics, Charles Stanford comes to mind in music, but there's obviously modern people too. Connections to US presidents is gigantic as we all know, and some prominent symbols of Ireland have Protestant beginnings like Jameson and Guinness. Oldums was founded by Protestants too if I'm not mistaken. Not much of a symbol of Ireland I know, but a staple of every Irish household while I was growing up. Someone else might fill in the sporting personalities, I'm not too strong on those.
Yes, it's amazing what total domination of the formal education system can do, isn't it?

eoghanacht

Yeah yis are great.

A Typical Loyalist - YouTube

All joking aside Protestants who excelled in academia would have had an upper hand on their catholic counterparts if you get my meaning.

We should celebrate these people more or at least make them more widely knowm

Nordie Northsider

Nice to see Stanford mentioned - a fine composer and the subject of a very good book by Liam Mac Cóil. The book is in Irish, which calls to mind the great tradition of Protestant scholars like Robert McAdam, Dúbhghlas de hÍde et al.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
McCracken (Henry Joy and Judge Brian).

Such lists are already all over the place.

I would be far more interested in the list of Irish people of all backgrounds who rejected both religions and both tribal loyalties.

My favourite of these is, as you know, the magnificent trouble-maker, John Toland, who was Catholic, Protestant and then non-believer in turn.

A truly genial figure whose magnificent failings were identical to his extraordinary strengths.

statsman

Coupled with an apartheid political system..the Ascendency :roll:
I wouldn't want to deny the achievements of the Ascendancy, especially in literature (and I'd like to add Sherdian, Goldsmith and Boucicault), but imagine what could have been done in a fairer society. Merriman, Carleton, Mangan and Joyce might just have been the tip of an iceberg.

'orebel

This should go well.

skiii

I think your greatest achievement was calling yourselves Protestants. Because ye were status quo merchants,par excellence, ignoring the deprivation all around ye for centuries.

Schomberg

Nice to see Stanford mentioned - a fine composer and the subject of a very good book by Liam Mac Cóil. The book is in Irish,
Any plans for an English edition? Sounds like an interesting read!!

harshreality

Oh dearie me Schomberg.

I think that due to several factors it would have been nigh on impossible for Protestants not to have been over represented wouldn't you think?

Dearie me indeed!

And on a totally separate point, weren't white guys great fellas altogether for managing to obtain all the top jobs in South Africa up until the mid nineties:)

Eoin Coir

Vengeance bejaysus. Look at how better banks, Insurance did under Seanie, Fingers, Quinn when we got rid of the Anglo Irish and the Irish came into their own.

Cassandra Syndrome

Indeed we have ran out of superlatives to describe famous Irish Protestants, especially now when we have a new champion that puts the names above into the shade.

[video=youtube;J2_eDnDywfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_eDnDywfw[/video]

FrankSpeaks

Robert Boyle, William Parsons (Born in York) but lived in Birr are two others that come to mind.