• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

No phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes. How much could YOU live on?

asset test

Could you live the way he does?

If you have no mortgage, no debts, no job to got to (no commuting expenses), no kids, and of course if you have a partner s/he is in the same boat, then what is your outlay?

Depends on your vices I suppose. Nice food, alcohol, cigarettes.

I think I could live ok on €200 a week. No mortgage, don't save, just eat, a bit of booze, and the utilities.

I don't really want to try it! But I think I could do it all the same, since the excess, if I had it, would go into savings not spending.

What could you live on, given the above criteria?

Roger Miller, King Of The Road Lyrics

spotty

Spotty finds that he can survive on about €200, excluding his mortgage. Usually allows one good night on the booze away from her indoors.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
No rent or clothing? Suppose you get sick and need meds? No saving even for replacement of domestic appliances?
I'm assuming that "no mortgage" means home ownership. I could still stash away a few bob on €120 a week. Obviously it would have to be a higher sume if it was to cover rent.

ocoonassa

People pay through the nose for convenience, stupid things like bottles of water and pre made sandwiches etc. Running a car is really expensive too. Have you seen this guy he's living on no money per week

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyqavzuFZ3c]YouTube - How to live a money-less life by Mark Boyle[/ame]

'orebel

No debts, no mortgage and just paying for food and utilities? €120 a week tops.
Need a car? Medical insurance? Savings for a rainy day? New property taxes and water charges? Not fancy a night out in a restaurant or the pub even once in a blue moon?

Chadster

I'm assuming that "no mortgage" means home ownership. I could still stash away a few bob on €120 a week. Obviously it would have to be a higher sume if it was to cover rent.
you would have to go without internet aswell which would mean we wouldnt have to read the ************************e you post here day in day out, give it a go for a year or two Keith........ please.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Allright, so apart from the rent, shoes, clothes, medical assistance, alcohol, internet, car, property tax, water charges, restaurants, pubs, paint, childcare, commuting, and domestic appliances, I guess €200 is reasonable. This reminds me of something....hmmm....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso]YouTube - What have the Romans ever done for us[/ame]

Rural

So this doesn't include the following:

Cleaning stuff (for bathroom/kitchen, clothes, dishes, toilet rolls, soap, toothpaste, haircuts)
Family occassions (birthday, Christmas, christenings, weddings etc.)
Travel/bus or train in an urban area, running a car in a rural area (to go shopping, to go to occassions, to go and meet another human being)
Heating during a harsh (or even fairly harsh) winter
Getting things fixed in the home (plumbing & the results of a leak, electricity, boiler serviced etc.)
Replacing clothes (I discovered that my winter coat of 4 years is torn beyond repair, will have to get a new one or buy more coal)

If anyone has any more annoying outlays please say.

'orebel

martino

People pay through the nose for convenience, stupid things like bottles of water and pre made sandwiches etc. Running a car is really expensive too. Have you seen this guy he's living on no money per week

YouTube - How to live a money-less life by Mark Boyle
Fair play to him. He mentioned it himself towards the end there, but I was struck by how healthy and fit he looks. No money seems to be suiting him well.

Keith-M

Website
Need a car? Medical insurance? Savings for a rainy day? New property taxes and water charges? Not fancy a night out in a restaurant or the pub even once in a blue moon?
Have never neeeded a car. At thoseearnings I'd havve a medical card. I could put away a few bob. We're talking about now and I could still afford a night out every month or so.

Keith-M

Website
you would have to go without internet aswell which would mean we wouldnt have to read the ************************e you post here day in day out, give it a go for a year or two Keith........ please.

ad news, the internet is very cheap, with no work, I could spend all day on the net, educating you all!

Baron von Biffo

Have never neeeded a car. At thoseearnings I'd havve a medical card. I could put away a few bob. We're talking about now and I could still afford a night out every month or so.
How do you manage your travel and things like getting the shopping home? Even if you have a medical card you'll have to pay Harney's illness tax on your meds. 50c an item gets significant quite quickly on €120 a week.

Rural

ad news, the internet is very cheap, with no work, I could spend all day on the net, educating you all!
If you are currently seeking work (as am I), you should be spending on paper, envelopes, ink, stamps, photocopying, telephone calls, newspapers, transport to and from interviews (in rural areas one has to pay for transport even one is not using it, i.e. insurance and tax) etc. it don't come reasonable.

TheOneTruth

Popular Threads

Most Replies