• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

No sign of Recession for Council 5 day Jolly to South Africa

death or glory

InsideImDancing

Ratepayers rage at Ulster council’s £4.5k weekend ‘junket’ to South Africa - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Again no sign of Austerity for politicians, Ballymoney Council spent £4500 to send 5 people to South Africa for 5 days on what I consider a wild goose chase. It was definately a case of grasping straws to get a free trip.
Seems a bit of a waste tbh, particularly at Chrimbo and people struggling etc. Good work if you can get it!

Truth.ie

Was reading in the Derry Journal last week, that our Councillors had a jolly jaunt to Colombia as well.
SF and the DUP.
Don't ask me why. I've no idea.

death or glory

I think that councillors should have to publicise their, expences in the run up to elections, I'm sure this would discourage the wasteful misuse of public money, when they have to justify it to the electorate.

Mr. Garlic

I wonder if they'll...

[video=youtube_share;2ZwsYAoeQ-U]http://youtu.be/2ZwsYAoeQ-U[/video]

...yes, I know I'm 25 years out of date but I can't resist.

death or glory

Cheap jibe- but i suppose the council couldn't let SF travel to Columbia on their own.

But seriously I bet it happens on all 26 councils in NI by all parties.
I would see through it if they could justify these trips by showing an influx of investment or tourism from it- but from the two highlighted above - a case of abuse of power for free holidays.

Truth.ie

I'd like to see the sum total of cost of that trip to Colombia.
Derry must have the highest rates in the North ffs.

Truth.ie

I can think of better places in NI to live. Round Hillsborough, Newcastle, Banbridge, perhaps North Down.
Without a doubt. Nice kempt areas.
My Mother is a pensioner who lives alone. I think her rates are 1200 quid a year, and thats a former Council house in the West Bank of Derry.

Mr. Garlic

Without a doubt. Nice kempt areas.
My Mother is a pensioner who lives alone. I think her rates are 1200 quid a year, and thats a former Council house in the West Bank of Derry.
I'm sorry to hear that.