No Sligo invitation for Mike Pence, following intervention from LGBT activists

O

Oscurito

We heard a lot more about Tim Kaine's connections to the Ould Sod but in reality, those of Mike Pence are a lot closer to Ireland. His grandfather came from Sligo and when he became Vice-President-Elect this week, Yeats's Land of Heart's Desire got all animated about having such a high-ranking grandson. There were plans being openly discussed about issuing an official invitation.

No more. Not everyone is so impressed with Pence - least of all local LGBT activists. Pence has a lamentable record on LGBT rights which you can read about here. One local LGBT activist wrote to the council highlighting Pence's controversial views and it has since been announced that all notions about inviting Mike Pence have been dropped.

Will there be a Pence Plaza? US vice-president elect could be visiting Ireland - Independent.ie

Sligo County Council will not invite Vice President-elect Mike...

FOOTNOTE 1

In Indiana, from July 2016, fetuses from pregnancy terminations and miscarriages must have funerals. Read this and make up your own mind.
The Atlantic: State-Mandated Mourning for Aborted Fetuses

FOOTNOTE 2

At some point today, November 15th (AFTER I POSTED THIS OP LAST NIGHT), there following clarification was added to the Newstalk story:

Update, November 15, 2016:

The Cathaoirleach of Sligo Council, Councillor Hubert Keaney, has confirmed that no invitation has been extended to Vice-President elect Mr Mike Pence. The Cathaoirleach said ‘The American President and Vice-President elect assume office in January 2017, and the question of extending an invitation has not been discussed at this early stage. The normal process is that such issues are discussed by the Council’s Corporate Policy Group.’

Editor's note: Please note this article previously states that Mr McCarrick was a spokesperson for Sligo County Council. The Council has since confirmed that Mr McCarrick is not an employee.
Contrary to the hyperventilations of one poster below, the OP above does not state any untruths. It does not state the Sligo Co Co had discussed (never mind extended) an invitation to Pence and did not repeat the one inaccuracy in the Newstalk article.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 48908

What about one of his kids? Would they be welcome? Or would Sligo County Council add the half pence to the pence in their list of people they won't be inviting?

Come to think of it, I've never been invited to Sligo, myself. Didn't stop me invading the place a few times in the eighties and nineties.

NYCKY

I am sure Pence will be heartbroken.

Becoming Vice President of the US AND an official invite to Sligo would have been all that he could ever have hoped for.

Catalpast

We heard a lot more about Tim Kaine's connections to the Ould Sod but in reality, those Mike Pence are a lot closer to Ireland. His grandfather came from Sligo and when he became Vice-President-Elect this week, Yeats's Land of Heart's Desire got all animated about having such a high-ranking grandson. There were plans being openly discussed about issuing an official invitation.

No more. Not everyone is so impressed with Pence - least of all local LGBT activists. Pence has a lamentable record on LGBT rights which you can read about here. One local LGBT activist wrote to the council highlighting Pence's controversial views and it has since been announced that all notions about inviting Mike Pence have been dropped.

Will there be a Pence Plaza? US vice-president elect could be visiting Ireland - Independent.ie

It may be lamentable to you....

In my books he is still pretty conservative

- but his heart is in the right place

Bring him over I say!:D

Betson

Pence is a huge supporter of gay people , he has even offered state funds to help people be cured of their gayness and they still complain.

There is no pleasing some people.

O

Oscurito

What about one of his kids? Would they be welcome? Or would Sligo County Council add the half pence to the pence in their list of people they won't be inviting?

Come to think of it, I've never been invited to Sligo, myself. Didn't stop me invading the place a few times in the eighties and nineties.
Very clever, Mr Danger.

Paddy Sarkozy

We heard a lot more about Tim Kaine's connections to the Ould Sod but in reality, those Mike Pence are a lot closer to Ireland. His grandfather came from Sligo and when he became Vice-President-Elect this week, Yeats's Land of Heart's Desire got all animated about having such a high-ranking grandson. There were plans being openly discussed about issuing an official invitation.

The LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ takeover of politics continues.

talkingshop

Not even clear that this statement is on behalf of the whole Council, it just mentions one 'Councillor Hubert Keaney'.

O

Oscurito

It may be lamentable to you....

In my books he is still pretty conservative

- but his heart is in the right place

Bring him over I say!:D
He'll be over in a couple of years when he's had a chance to jettison all those "family values" that got him this far. That kind of talk worked in Indiana. It won't get him anywhere in Washington.

D

Deleted member 48908

You'll have some serious bellyache when Leo Varadkar becomes Taoiseach. :cool:
Has Mícheál Martin signed off on this? I thought his approved replacement Taoiseach was his fellow Corkwegian, Coveney.

truthisfree

Well I think the ass licking of US elected representatives by us is nauseating....but having said that....a minority group manage to change the minds of what is a democratically elected majority group....No No No....All wrong imo...

pierrepoint

This thread is probably racist or something. The title leaves out the Q in LGBTQ.
I blame Trump.

Bill

I blame Alan Shatter.

GDPR

hardly anyone in America and certainly not any US administration gives half the thought to Ireland that the Irish seem to give to America and any US administration.

Judging from Pie. But we all know you are weird.

You ought to be a good deal more interested in BREXIT. Brits not glamourous enough for you?

New Threads

Most Replies