No Surprises

Socratus O' Pericles

“This is my final fit, my final bellyache / With no alarms and no surprises.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/radiohead-tickets-anger-as-dublin-show-sells-out-within-a-minute-762578.html

Tickets for Radiohead, like very many other popular acts were virtually impossible to get on Friday morning.

I assume this is the same for most "big" acts, I seem to remember the same for yer wan with the beehive. Cannot think of her name right now.

I assume all these tickets are being purchased by bots of some kind and will reappear on the black within minutes at grossly inflated prices.

Could or should anything be done about this?

Won't someone please, please, please think of the real fans?

Seriously, though. How DO people get tickets?

danger here

Not listening to Radiohead is a good start :)

JCR

I wonder how people can listen to more moaning for entertainment value when we are surrounded by it non stop. Maybe its that it is all set to music. I suppose you do it to yourself and that's what really hurts.

Socratus O' Pericles

tokkie

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/radiohead-tickets-anger-as-dublin-show-sells-out-within-a-minute-762578.html

Tickets for Radiohead, like very many other popular acts were virtually impossible to get on Friday morning.

I assume this is the same for most "big" acts, I seem to remember the same for yer wan with the beehive. Cannot think of her name right now.

I assume all these tickets are being purchased by bots of some kind and will reappear on the black within minutes at grossly inflated prices.

I understood you to be an advocate of the free hand of the market etc etc??

Feckkit

Tickets for Radiohead, like very many other popular acts were virtually impossible to get on Friday morning.I assume this is the same for most "big" acts, I seem to remember the same for yer wan with the beehive. Cannot think of her name right now.

I assume all these tickets are being purchased by bots of some kind and will reappear on the black within minutes at grossly inflated prices. Could or should anything be done about this?

An this is what amounts to a "policy discussion" in "culture & community" these days?! petunia

Spanner Island

I look for new and/or reasonably priced acts and go to them.

The whole Ticketmaster scam is f***ing scandalous and should be stopped.

Personally I believe it should be illegal to sell tickets for events for anything above their face value.

I assume the acts, their management and promoters figure out what can be achieved and what is a reasonable price and that should be it.

Touts and the total scam Ticketmaster runs should be illegal and the relevant laws should be enforced rigorously.

We need laws like they have in Brazil with regard to this kind of sh!te.

firefly123

Personally I believe it should be illegal to sell tickets for events for anything above their face value.

I assume the acts, their management and promoters figure out what can be achieved and what is a reasonable price and that should be it.

Touts and the total scam Ticketmaster runs should be illegal and the relevant laws should be enforced rigorously.

Ticket master have their own resale website called seatwave that magically has tonnes of tickets available at massively inflated prices immediately after they "sell out" of normal priced tickets.
They essentially tout their own tickets.
How it's allowed Continue is beyond me.

Spanner Island

Ticket master have their own resale website called seatwave that magically has tonnes of tickets available at massively inflated prices immediately after they "sell out" of normal priced tickets.
Cheers... I was tyring to think of the name of 'Seatwave' but couldn't...

It's a complete scam and it should be illegal.

Easy wave to overcome is require people to preregister for tickets.......... requirement to provide some photo verified ID, easily done. Names and details required for all tickets.

Instead of just sending tickets out indicate that 10% of tickets will be required to be collected at ticket office on day of event.

As found out on Sale of Olympic tickets there is nothing to stop anybody selling tickets on................ EU legislation required.

UEFA tackled it a bit for France where told any EU sellers they breaching France 2015 and UEFA copyright.................. that worked for a while.

Making it illegal means Ebay etc would have to comply with the law.

YongHoi

I've been a lifelong Bowie fan, so when he played The Point in 2004 I tried hard to get tickets through the usual channel. No joy. I went to the venue anyhow in the hope of buying a ticket off someone. I was offered a pair of tickets in the gallery at about 50% over face value. Being well aware of scams I asked the guy (a tout) to come with me to the entrance to confirm the tickets were good before I parted with money. He agreed, and the security people on the door checked the tickets - they had a list of some sort to compare against - and they said they were good. I paid my money and went in.

When we made our way to the seats another staff member (at the entrance to the gallery) checked our tickets again. "Oh, sorry, there's a problem with your tickets. You have to leave"!! I was flabbergasted and angry! What do you mean 'something wrong'? 'Your doorman checked them and said they were good!'.
"Sorry" - he said, "if you don't leave I'll call the Gards".
Go ahead I said!
I went to the door and a Gard was there. I explained what happened. He was very sympathetic, but nothing he could do he said.
I asked the staff member what was actually wrong with the tickets. "They were intercepted in the post" he said. Hmmmm. Intercepted. Not lost, but INTERCEPTED. Why that word? How did he know they were INTERCEPTED, not just LOST?

The tickets had a name on them. A fairly unusual surname which I found in the telephone directory next day. The tickets were also marked as belonging to a 'Season Member' of The Point. I checked that out. You can buy a kind of VIP Membership which guarantees you a certain number of tickets at major gigs.
Hmmmm. I smelt a rat.

I called up the guy with the unusual surname and asked if he had lost tickets for the Bowie concert, or had them stolen or what. He didn't want to talk. Sounded very cagey, and hung up. Strange. Wouldn't you be interested to know what happened to a valuable set of tickets that went missing? I would!

Then I copped the scam.

You join as a VIP Member. It's expensive!
You order tickets for the big gigs, but report them 'stolen'. A second set are sent out to you. The originals can then be flogged off to your mate the tout.
Hey presto you get to see the big gigs, guaranteed, and you get your money back by scamming the unsuspecting buyer of the duds.

Good eh?
The Point are complicit IMHO.

Spanner Island

So the doorman was part of it too.I hope that was investigated.
Sounds like nothing was investigated.

Garda says sorry... can't do anything... leave.

This is Ireland... the land that claims to be of saints and scholars but which these days is more like the land of rip offs and scams.

YongHoi

Probably he was. But how to prove it?

Actually I was so angry I wrote to The Point and told them the story, and demanded a refund. They ignored my letter, so I began the process for a Small Claim action - I wanted my day in Court!
Part of the process is you must write to the people you're claiming against and tell them you're going after them. I did so, and Lo and behold I got a letter from The Point owners with a cheque for the full amount -without a single comment attached. Not even a 'sorry for the mixup' or 'screw you mate'.
Zipped lips.
Funny eh?

YongHoi

By the way, the story has an even better twist.
When I was slowly and very sadly walking away from the gates of the venue another security guy stopped me. "What happened mate?" - I told him the story.
"Follow me" he said, and led me into the darkness down the side of the building. He knocked a door, and ushered us onto the floor of the concert! Faith in humanity restored!
I got to see my hero Bowie in one of his best ever concerts (that one became the official gig DVD for the Reality tour).
By the way, during the show I looked up to see the seats we were sold lying empty for the whole concert. So the 'VIP' ticket holder had no interest in Bowie. Even though he ordered the tickets.
It's a scam.
http://thepremiumclub.ie

Last edited:

im axeled

are not ticketmaster coining both ways, the sale of the tickets on the appointed sale day, then gouge the willing later on in the time, if so they bring to mind the gobahn saor

gatsbygirl20

I thought a certain individual was banged up abroad on suspicion of maybe perhaps having a teensy-weensy bit of knowledge of this kind of caper happening areound the sale of tickets to a certain large global sporting jamboree , the name of which need not detain us here.

If you see what I mean.

Spanner Island

are not ticketmaster coining both ways, the sale of the tickets on the appointed sale day, then gouge the willing later on in the time, if so they bring to mind the gobahn saor
Yes... and why it's allowed to continue is baffling...

Their charges are extortionate too... whether you're lucky enough to get a face value ticket initially or whether you choose to be gouged later via Seatwave...

What Ticketmaster engages in should be illegal.

The odious Ticketmaster monopoly coins it at every stage of every transaction. End of.

New Threads

Most Replies