no “technical” solution can avoid the return of a physical trade border

McSlaggart

"If the UK leaves the EU trading bloc no “technical” solution can avoid the return of a physical trade border, according to the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee at Westminster. It said in a report on Friday: “We have found no evidence that, right now, an invisible border is possible.”"https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/time-for-london-to-wake-up-to-the-reality-of-ireland-s-trade-border-after-brexit-1.3430064

At what locations should we build the new physical trade border? Should we have border checks in and out of Northern Ireland on people and goods alongside the trade border?

ScoobyDoo

"If the UK leaves the EU trading bloc no “technical” solution can avoid the return of a physical trade border, according to the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee at Westminster. It said in a report on Friday: “We have found no evidence that, right now, an invisible border is possible.”"https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/time-for-london-to-wake-up-to-the-reality-of-ireland-s-trade-border-after-brexit-1.3430064

At what locations should we build the new physical trade border? Should we have border checks in and out of Northern Ireland on people and goods alongside the trade border?

What is an "invisible" border?

The border is already clearly visible now.

McSlaggart

What is an "invisible" border?

The border is already clearly visible now.
Could you please give me the details of this clearly visible border? Has someone painted a white line so that everyone may see it?

McSlaggart

'Only a backstop'
"The border issue has not been resolved at this stage and we didn't expect it to be," said a party statement.

Sinn Féin MEP Martina Anderson said the announcement meant "the British government is accepting the agreements made, including the backstop option, which would see the north remaining in the customs union and significant elements of the single market".

No Brexit agreement on Irish border - BBC News

Mickeymac

'Only a backstop'
"The border issue has not been resolved at this stage and we didn't expect it to be," said a party statement.

Sinn Féin MEP Martina Anderson said the announcement meant "the British government is accepting the agreements made, including the backstop option, which would see the north remaining in the customs union and significant elements of the single market".

There is really no point in arguing about all this, Ireland, all 32, will be united and part of the EU very soon.

ScoobyDoo

Could you please give me the details of this clearly visible border? Has someone painted a white line so that everyone may see it?
It is clearly marked the last time I crossed it and there are cameras and number plate recognition already in place on the border. That is the infrastructure people are crying about?

Sword of Gideon

In at least one place there is a white line, in others there is a distinct change in road surface, road edge marking is different colours, ie yellow and white, "welcome to Northern Ireland" signs. speed in MPH signs speed in KPH signs, give way/yield signs, lots of things,
Do not believe SFIRA when they tell you the border has gone in all but name. They have been liars for years and will be for years to come.

Sword of Gideon

'Only a backstop'

Tow different positions from the EU and SFIRA. Anderson should be sent back to gaol to serve the rest of the her sentence.

McSlaggart

It is clearly marked the last time I crossed it and there are cameras and number plate recognition already in place on the border. That is the infrastructure people are crying about?
I think you will find cameras and number plate recognition in petrol stations. More interesting is that on most roads that I go into Donegal on their is nothing.

McSlaggart

In at least one place there is a white line, in others there is a distinct change in road surface, road edge marking is different colours, ie yellow and white, "welcome to Northern Ireland" signs. speed in MPH signs speed in KPH signs, give way/yield signs, lots of things,
Do not believe SFIRA when they tell you the border has gone in all but name. They have been liars for years and will be for years to come.
The road signs do not say KPH they only give a number. In most of the road that I use their is no "welcome to Northern Ireland sign. I do not think their is one between Strabane and Lifford?

Sword of Gideon

The road signs do not say KPH they only give a number. In most of the road that I use their is no "welcome to Northern Ireland sign. I do not think their is one between Strabane and Lifford?
There was one put up on the A38, but probably removed by republicans. Just like they bury their heads in the sand, they take a sign away and think the border has gone.

Se0samh

There was one put up on the A38, but probably removed by republicans. Just like they bury their heads in the sand, they take a sign away and think the border has gone.

Angle grinders, sure you couldn't be up to them...:cool:

McSlaggart

Wrong again, do you ever get fed up.

Yes that is a sign that says use KMH. Their is a few of them about but the actual signs that tell you the speed to travel does not say KMH. This has the impact that once you are across the border and you see a sign saying 60 how do you know its not still KMH?

On the Island we should be using either MPH or KMH not both.

Mickeymac

Yes that is a sign that says use KMH. Their is a few of them about but the actual signs that tell you the speed to travel does not say KMH. This has the impact that once you are across the border and you see a sign saying 60 how do you know its not still KMH?

Will all be resolved shortly sir in the new Ireland of equals:lol:

CastleRay

Technology in your car tells you. If you don’t have it yet, you will have soon. Marvellous thing, technology. You’ll get there.

McSlaggart

Technology in your car tells you. If you don’t have it yet, you will have soon. Marvellous thing, technology. You’ll get there.
It does not surprise me that you need to use Technology in order to drive outside of Northern Ireland.

Mickeymac

It does not surprise me that you need to use Technology in order to drive outside of Northern Ireland.

Indeed, most of that mob invade that kip Portrush where they can hatefest all day and night........Most Countries in Europe and further afield would not allow them anywhere near the local populace.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies