No to Backstop, new British position.

death or glory

According to the view from Stormont the new deal Theresa will put to Westminster will be the same deal without the backstop included.
This will then go to Europe to ratify or no deal.
They say the DUP tail is wagging the Tory DOG(excuse the pun)

How long will it take Leo to back down I wonder?

hiding behind a poster

According to the view from Stormont the new deal Theresa will put to Westminster will be the same deal without the backstop included.

Link? If none, get into your Zoo outfit.

Niall996

The famous cake and eat it buffoonery - groundhog day. Entertaining though.

Beachcomber

Lagan Valley still says no.

death or glory

Link? If none, get into your Zoo outfit.
Have no link as watching it live from " The view from Stormont" on UTV at the minute.
But once it breaks I will update, thanks for your legitimate concerns.

valamhic

Banned
Britain is not leaving the EU, the EU left Britain. Logically there is no way the South can be in the customs union while the North is not. The only good side is neither the South, the North nor the mainland will have time to destroy the environment with their stupid wind farms.

Beachcomber

Have no link as watching it live from " The view from Stormont" on UTV at the minute.
But once it breaks I will update, thanks for your legitimate concerns.
Can't they get UTV south of the border?

Has the hard border been put in place already?

Beachcomber

Britain is not leaving the EU, the EU left Britain. Logically there is no way the South can be in the customs union while the North is not. The only good side is neither the South, the North nor the mainland will have time to destroy the environment with their stupid wind farms.

No - the UK is leaving the EU.

The ROI can be in a customs union if NI is not in it. The ROI just needs the will to make it happen, and the EU will give them that will.

death or glory

Can't they get UTV south of the border?

Has the hard border been put in place already?
Nah,
He is right you should put up a link but unfortunately I can't find one at the minute but if you can view the program again that's what a political commentator from Westminster was saying he has been told by Tory politicians.

Ardillaun

May manages to make Corbyn look reasonable. She upbraids him for refusing to join the talks with her and then promptly illustrates why it would have been an utter waste of time. At this moment of national crisis, her prime concern would appear to be avoiding Moggexit from the Conservative Party.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Doesn't matter what Mrs May wants. She can put forward pink elephants with blue dots all along the border if she likes. What matters is whether people in Northern Ireland and the Republic will action or not action so she can come up with as many mixtures of proposals as she likes, it won't make a hill of beans in the end.

There isn't any solution for her on Northern Ireland. Some other commentators last week were saying she might 'change' the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, until it dawned on said commentators that the GFA is an agreement that can't be legally amended by one party unilaterally.

We're deep into the stupid now.

cozzy121

I think the DUP position will always be - "if Dublin are for it, then, we are agin' it"

Levellers

May just proved Corbyn correct in failing to dance to her fake 'consultation' tune. She has ruled out SNP, PC, Liberals as having any voice in her 'consultation' after meeting with them.

sic transit

Eh isn't there already a Backstop thread? Why can't this be tacked onto it? It's not exactly saying anything new here!

jmcc

Wonder if May thinks that the partition of Ireland was such a good idea now? :)

Newrybhoy

Doesn't matter what Mrs May wants. She can put forward pink elephants with blue dots all along the border if she likes. What matters is whether people in Northern Ireland and the Republic will action or not action so she can come up with as many mixtures of proposals as she likes, it won't make a hill of beans in the end.

There isn't any solution for her on Northern Ireland. Some other commentators last week were saying she might 'change' the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, until it dawned on said commentators that the GFA is an agreement that can't be legally amended by one party unilaterally.

We're deep into the stupid now.
Hard Brexit UK do not implement a border. The EU tells the RoI to build a border.

What are you going to do then?

Se0samh

Hard Brexit UK do not implement a border. The EU tells the RoI to build a border.

In that event, what are you going to tell the farmers, the young, the factory workers, the employed, the unemployed, pretty much everybody really...'cos I know what they'll tell you...and GB...goodbye!...:smile:

livingstone

Nah,
He is right you should put up a link but unfortunately I can't find one at the minute but if you can view the program again that's what a political commentator from Westminster was saying he has been told by Tory politicians.
No way a proposal for a deal without a backstop gets through Parliament. There are enough MPs who know that a deal without a backstop is a non-starter, and approving that approach would simply bring the UK closer to no deal.

The Govt may try to negotiate elements of the backstop, like some sort of time limit. I think even that will be unsuccessful, but any suggestion that Parliament will approve of a Govt policy of just jettisoning the backstop entirely is nonsense.

Niall996

The EU will be thrilled. A handy way to funnel migrants out of France and Italy and into the UK.