No utterance of any member of the Gov can any longer be taken at face value - IT

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane

Sync

Dead right too. Cowen and Lenihan have been found to be wrong on every occasion and they've clearly not been briefing the rest of the cabinet.

blackpitts

I'm sure it will make interesting reading when the full story eventually gets written

maxthedog

Dead right too. Cowen and Lenihan have been found to be wrong on every occasion and they've clearly not been briefing the rest of the cabinet.
When you say every occasion, would you like to put a date on that.

You know last week, last month , last year , 4 years ago.

i remember the IT telling me that Brian Cowen was highly intellegent.

So Madam and her Drones are deserting the sinking ship.

They were the engine room of the Titanic. Driving he good ship IOreland onto the Iceberg.

gweedore

lets call them what they are a ff/green junta how gormley sleeps at night is beyond me

Mushroom

how gormley sleeps at night is beyond me
A warm mug of Fortnum and Masons' finest organic camomile tea, hand picked by 16 year old Bhutanese virgins on the night of the first full moon after the monsoon high in the foothills of the Himalayas does the trick for Gormley.

EDIT - the Green Party Press Office has asked me to point out that as Gormley's stock of tea is delivered to his door directly from Lhasa by carrier pigeon, it has no carbon footprint.

gweedore

A warm mug of Fortnum and Masons' finest organic camomile tea, hand picked by 16 year old Bhutanese virgins on the night of the first full moon after the monsoon high in the foothills of the Himalayas does the trick for Gormley.

EDIT - the Green Party Press Office has asked me to point out that as Gormley's stock of tea is delivered to his door directly from Lhasa by carrier pigeon, it has no carbon footprint.
are you sure those virgins havent been recycled?

kerdasi amaq

As no utterance of any member of the Government can any longer be taken at face value, The Irish Times asked Juncker’s spokesman if Ireland’s corporation tax rate was off the agenda, as Lenihan had said at lunchtime.

It had not been removed from the agenda, as some countries still wished to discuss it, he said.

At a press conference in Dublin last night, Taoiseach Brian Cowen said the issue of tax had not arisen.
I'd suppose that this means, that they've not been told to knock it on the head yet.

Note that there is no "the" before "tax" in Cowen's statement..

liamfoley

Yes, yes, I am with you and all but where were the press demagogues when they were needed 5 years ago? Cowan clearly will not accept responsibility and cannot be taken seriously on anything but neither can most of our journalists.

ONQ

Earlier this evening I began to feel embarrassed at what Ireland's standing in the world must be now, having fallen from the heights of just three years ago.

Reading this piece I see a wake up call going out to all capitalists and financiers and bond marketeers and derivative brokers around the world not to take their prosperity for granted.

In a world where things have no intrinsic value, where unregulated financial markets trade in the Quadrillion dollar range without oversight or regulation, where sums the size of a country's wealth can circle the globe instantly, the whole system could implode overnight.

I think they are finally beginning to see the implication of the term "everything is relative" as applied to economics, how there is no ultimate valuation on anything, and how the whole systems rests on agreements between parties, on words - just words.

Econmoics is not a science, its an art - and the wielders of financial power are just now beggining to see that it is a very black art indeed.

I hope this revelation scares them silly - they've worked for it, fought wars to destabilise old regimes to promote it, undid the Gold Standard to copper fasten it and here we are - they now have what they wished for!

"Everything is relative" bois.

Let me put it another way.

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Never forget our potential as a nation.

Never forget the depth of our passion.

Never forget our creativity and resilence.

ONQ.

Last edited:

Cassandra Syndrome

O'Brien is a hypocrite. He said on the Frontline less than 2 months ago that we are out of the Bond market until next year and that the secondary market was irrelavant. We had the funding to the Summer of next year. So there was nothing to worry about.

We mentioned that the banks would blow up over the secondary market and their pre Christmas debt obligatons here, while that spoofer was part of the happy clappy pollyanna parade.

Now all of a sudden he's woke up?

crocker_g

Website
www.craughwell.ws
Has Ireland lost its soul? Are there none out there who can lead us?

The time has come for action. There is an ICTU protest rally next Saturday against the austerity cuts coming in the budget. This rally starts in Wood Quay and ends at the GPO. This rally now has to be rerouted to Kildare Street. The people must go to Kildare Street and sit in silent protest until these liars and crooks leave Government.

As for the Greens well it proves the point POWER CORRUPTS Gromley is as bad as any FFer ever was. White and Ryan are not much better. One has to ask why Boyle and Co are sitting there taking this?

We cannot let this shower foist their 4 year plan on us. Look what their plans have done to date.

Kilkeal

In 100 years time, the column 100 years ago in a National Newspaper will say "How the two Brians saved the Euro by borrowing €80 billion"

powderfinger

Cowen reminded Vincent Browne last night that all decisions taken by him,since taking the primed baton from Ahern,were done so with full Cabinet approval.

Mitsui2

... as Gormley's stock of tea is delivered to his door directly from Lhasa by carrier pigeon, it has no carbon footprint.
Perhaps not, but coming all that way one may be certain that - like Mr Gormley himself - it leaves behind it a very long trail of sh1te.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies