No Water in Dublin tonight between 7pm - 7am 1 million people hit

padraig.od

This one
I don't know about Dublin, but someone turned off the kitchen tap here last night and now we have no water and no chance of thawing the pipes. with luck they will thaw out before the temp drops again but i doubt it, its just not warm enough. What bothers me is that this house is less than 10 years old, but the pipes are ridiculously shallow.
I am utterly incredulous at the ************************e sloppy workmanship that has gone into these places, we are only renting whilst we renovate the old place, cant wait to get out.
have you asked your neighbours if they have water? Could be pressure is down in the area, not that your pipes etc are frozen

B

Boggle

What sort of a fukking idiot runs his/her taps?
Me actually.

Unfortunately, the reason I have to is because I live in a new house and some effin idiot decided that the water meter point has to be too shallow and now it freezes in the cold weather.

We lost our water on the first cold night and I have let it on overnight since. I keep the flow as low as possible if that makes a difference but I'm not going to turn it off and go without water just to keep some pious ****************************** on the internet happy.

harryshounds

dig it up and insulate it. there must be another way then leaving the tap running, thats phucking ridiculous.

B

boo-boo

Dont think so

Could it not be that it had frozen up?, and maybe it thawed enough to come back on?
No, its their brains that's frozen:eek:. I heard similar noise a couple of times in the back. The water was coming from a hose of all things....though she must have saw me peeping over the wall...as the tap is now off!

DeputyEdo

Me actually.

Unfortunately, the reason I have to is because I live in a new house and some effin idiot decided that the water meter point has to be too shallow and now it freezes in the cold weather.

We lost our water on the first cold night and I have let it on overnight since. I keep the flow as low as possible if that makes a difference but I'm not going to turn it off and go without water just to keep some pious ****************************** on the internet happy.
Are you suing the builders to get them to pay to have your pipes done properly?

B

boo-boo

correction

Me actually.

Can you not get back onto the builder...providing they are not one of those that's gone bust! Or would homebond not cover the cost of correction?

B

Boggle

Are you suing the builders to get them to pay to have your pipes done properly?
Its a rented house so it would be up to the owner but the builders did nothing wrong as they built according to poorly thought out regulations.

drummed

The greens plan to combat global warming/climate change or whatever their calling it this week is working too well. The created a new ice age and the polar bears asr happy again. Now, will they please go away forever.

CinematicWaif

dig it up and insulate it. there must be another way then leaving the tap running, thats phucking ridiculous.

Most people who live in countries that get much colder weather in the winter leave taps on a drip. Of course, they also pay for water usage (leaving taps on doesn't run your bill up, btw- you only have to do it on very cold nights and just leave a very slow drip on one or two faucets, not every sink in the house) and the water infrastructure in those countries is also more modern... ie not a couple of rusted pipes held together by duct tape and 50 year old chewing gum.

B

Boggle

What will you do when they put in the water meter? Have it fixed?
Long and short of it is that i won't be paying for it if water meters come in. Either the landlord will have to take steps or pay the bill at that stage.

Anyway, the flow is as low as I can get it so it's only a few litres a day (all you have to do is stop the water from sitting in the cold spot too long so any low flow is generally enough).

Ganyer

DUBLIN CITY Council is to start cutting water supplies to homes in the coming days to try to restore volumes in the city’s reservoirs which have dropped substantially during the bad weather.

The planned cuts will take place between 7pm and 7am, but city manager John Tierney said households would have sufficient tank capacity to ensure they do not run out of water if supplies were used sensibly.

Maybe someone should point out to Mr. Tierney that potable water is not stored in a tank - it comes directly off the mains to your kitchen tap.
As such, if you want water for cooking or drinking I suggest you start filling pots.

Ganyer

Most people who live in countries that get much colder weather in the winter leave taps on a drip. Of course, they also pay for water usage (leaving taps on doesn't run your bill up, btw- you only have to do it on very cold nights and just leave a very slow drip on one or two faucets, not every sink in the house) and the water infrastructure in those countries is also more modern... ie not a couple of rusted pipes held together by duct tape and 50 year old chewing gum.

Yes. If you are concerned about your mains feed freezing then the only tap you need to run - (by run, I mean trickle) is your cold water kitchen tap. The ambient temperature within the dwelling will prevent other pipes from freezing.

Mondo

Oh no. You'll start a run on the water.
Block this thread.
;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies