No Water in Dublin tonight between 7pm - 7am 1 million people hit

emulator

While I accept there are people leaving taps running.... the main cause of these shortages are burst mains/sub mains! I know someone who works for a council water section and they just tell everyone "it's because people are leaving taps on" even when they know it's a burst main.

During the bubble more and more estates were built with little or no upgrade of the infrastructure.... we are now starting to pay the price.... and will literally in the future. I have to say I'm a little surprised at people on here for not seeing this for the diversion that it is.... Fair enough, we are getting low on water and some people mightn't be the cleverest on the planet in letting their water run but to start turning water off to the public, on the day of the start of a series of four unjust budgets ? a bit too obvious I think ! They could easily have started restrictions over the weekend and evenings ( when it's normally done ) from last week.... but no, had to be today. DISTRACTION :|

charley

They've been turning off the water at 8pm up here since last Friday and it comes back on at 8 in the morning . Its no big deal the pipes are old and the heaviest frost occurs during the night so if this prevents me being without water for over a week due to burst mains then I have no problem with it. Just fill the kettle before 8 and all is fine.

CptSternn

I know many people who run the taps all day every day when there is cold weather out. I don't. I simply turn on the 100 watt bulb in the attic before bed to keep everything from freezing. During the day the fire takes care of the rest.

It's better than wasting all that water.

B

Boggle

Why would any one living in modern house with insullation be concerned about pipes freezing? How do the council know this is happening? Why does everyone else have to suffer?

Time for FF to move up the timescale for water metering.
The point where they are freezing is outside. Not sure what can be done short of digging up your incoming mains and burying it deeper. Maybe you could dig around it and put in some sort of waterproof insulation or foam but I don't know if thats practical for when the meter goes in.

Econdo

It's not people running their taps, mind you there are a number of fools out there who believe anything they are told, take the Labour supporters..... It's plain and simple, Burst Pipes..The council have been battling this over the last few days all over DLR so I take it it's a big problem for the other LA areas...

muffin

i dont know anyone not one single person that ever did/does that.
tbh i think the shortage is caused by old pipes bursting,pipes that needed to be replaced 20 yrs ago.
I find it hard to believe that to be honest with you. Its too cold to run them anyway. I really believe its the pipes.:-(

Harmonica

The point where they are freezing is outside. Not sure what can be done short of digging up your incoming mains and burying it deeper. Maybe you could dig around it and put in some sort of waterproof insulation or foam but I don't know if thats practical for when the meter goes in.
The only place I think this is possible would be garden tapes and such. I don't think underground pipes are likely to burst as the soil insulates them otherwise we would have burst pipes everywhere.

The OD

Good. We need severe hardship before we start to wake up. Hopefully we will have gas shortages and power outages next. A couple of deaths should make people realise the country is fúcked and needs fixing.

You can be sure there will plenty of water available for Clowen and Harney to void their fat holes.

neiphin

are they saving the water incase leinster hs, and ff hq go up ?

Samell

The only place I think this is possible would be garden tapes and such. I don't think underground pipes are likely to burst as the soil insulates them otherwise we would have burst pipes everywhere.
The ground freezes and as it does it rises and the constant bending of the pipe breaks it, the old clay sewer pipes also break due to this movement. In Canada and U.S. water pipes must be at least 450mm below the frost depth, ie. the deepest the ground has frozen since they started monitoring it. This stops any damage due to frost heave. Basic geography and physics from junior school.

L'Chaim

Apparently it's down to quite a few buck eejits who are leaving their taps running to prevent pipes freezing up and draining the reservoirs in the process.

Jesus wept, are people out there really that stupid and that selfish?*

Bet they wouldn't be doing that if they were paying water charges based on usage levels.

* No need to answer that - the number of people who voted in the past or say they will still vote for Fianna Fail screams a big fat YES.
Happens everytime there's a freeze. Stupid people do leave their taps running and then they would be the very ones who would complain about water charges. Though it wouldn't do any harm if the old decrepit water pipes were replaced. I read somewhere that most of the water available is lost through burst pipes and leaking pipes, some of which are over 100 years old.

asset test

No water cut off here in South D CC . yet... famous last words.

This warning was sudden IMV.

Would I be rotten if I said it is a warning about water charges in the future?

rash mulligan

Global warming? it's like focking freezing

No it,s just a bit of weather Samell
Just put a sweater on and whatever you
do don,t burn any oil coal gas or peat.
The polar bears are drowning don,,t ya know.

RightCentreLeft

Water back on here in Kimmage since this morning and still no water from the Hot Water taps. Cold water is fine but pressure quite low.

Anyone know why this is the case? Does the Storage tank take a few hours to fill?

EvotingMachine0197

Water back on here in Kimmage since this morning and still no water from the Hot Water taps. Cold water is fine but pressure quite low.

Anyone know why this is the case? Does the Storage tank take a few hours to fill?
No. Assuming you drained the storage tank, you should also have water from the hot taps within minutes of the mains being restored. A normal size house tank would fill in ~ 10 minutes with reasonable mains pressure..

Other than that it would have to be a ballcock problem or some kind of an airlock - both unlikely..

Popular Threads

Most Replies