• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Noam Chomsky speaks at UCC, 4th of April.

R

Ramps

Ann Coulter is wrong about certain things (god, evolution),no doubt; but she is absolutely on the ball when it comes to the US media, its judiciary, and its obsession with race, gender, and sexuality.

Mercurial

The difference between Ann Coulter and Noam Chomsky goes a little deeper than which one of them looks like they've just come from a divorce party in a trailer park.

Chomsky has some intellectual credentials. Coulter is a media performer who can be relied on to be controversial as a career option. She's an American lawyer who finds a media profile more appealing than legal precedent or filework.

A woman who sends out signals that she missed the Reagan 80's and she's none too happy about that. And everybody has to pay for her missing out on her entitlement to that bonfire of the consumer vanities.
I'm not saying the two are comparable - just that we can't assume merely from the fact that someone p1sses people off that they must be worth listening to.

LamportsEdge

Ann Coulter is wrong about certain things (god, evolution),no doubt; but she is absolutely on the ball when it comes to the US media, its judiciary, and its obsession with race, gender, and sexuality.
Does that mean if I tell Ann Coulter to shut up, like a good woman, and go and get my tea she'll meekly wander off and do it?:) Or is she automatically exempting herself from the burdensome arguments on gender?

Mercurial

US society is obsessed with race, gender and sexuality. Its media and its laws reflect that.

LamportsEdge

I'm not saying the two are comparable - just that we can't assume merely from the fact that someone p1sses people off that they must be worth listening to.
Yes. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Chomsky has at least got academic credentials and has contributed to the sum total of philosophy in some way. Coulter could be replaced by Sarah Jessica Tea-Party in the morning and the sum of human knowledge will stumble on somehow.

R

Ramps

Excuse me, but what are Chomsky's "credentials" in economics, a subject he thinks he is free to waffle on about endlessly. His economic arguments are absurd, absolutely absurd; but because he's on the Left he's afforded immunity from criticism.

Have you heard the way he maligned Milton Friedman? He's either dishonest or thick; and I know which one I think is apt.

LamportsEdge

Excuse me, but what are Chomsky's "credentials" in economics, a subject he thinks he is free to waffle on about endlessly. His economic arguments are absurd, absolutely absurd; but because he's on the Left he's afforded immunity from criticism.

Have you heard the way he maligned Milton Friedman? He's either dishonest or thick; and I know which one I think is apt.
Well you are free to check out Noam Chomsky's academic credentials easily enough and of course free to choose not to attend the Chomsky event at UCC.

No one is forcing anyone.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
There is no dictator Chomsky will not defend or support as long as they are anti-American.

If he were listened to the Taliban would still rule Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein and Gaddaffi would still be alive.

His anarcho syndicalism philosophy is complete b*llsh*t.

He is a crashing bore too.
There is no dictator Chomsky will not defend or support as long as they are anti-American.
Yes, it is why he came out and criticized Hugo Chavez, for example.

If he were listened to the Taliban would still rule Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein and Gaddaffi would still be alive.
He never supported any dictators (no, not, Lenin, Mao Stalin or anyone like that, but feel free to copy and paste from Horowitz's nonsense and then see that the quotes are hideously taken out of context) and he never supported the above. In fact, he has a consistent record of being against Sudam Huessein, when the Americans for example, were giving him their support in Operation Anful, as just one example. I know, I know, 'that's called realpolitik. They didn't want the Kurds to die, but they had to let Sadam do it.'

His anarcho syndicalism philosophy is complete b*llsh*t.
Yes, he could learn from you: copy and paste from wikipedia and post pictures of dead children and most famously, compare Heydrich to Bobby Sands.

He is a crashing bore too.
Yes, he has no wit at all and has a boring voice. However, that is something he himself has admitted. His personality or voice has little to do with his work.

You're a mad thing. Your argument against everything regarding American foreign policy is 'you wanted Sadam Huessein in power or would have left him there'. Cop on, you idiot.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Well you are free to check out Noam Chomsky's academic credentials easily enough and of course free to choose not to attend the Chomsky event at UCC.

What are anyone's 'credentials'? The I.M.F. and their pals consistently get it wrong, as well as our own native economists. They always get it wrong in their predictions. No problem disagreeing with Chomsky's economic policies or his own predictions, but there's hardly an elite club out there of economists who always predict economic crashes or predict prosperity, 'turning the corner' etc.

LamportsEdge

What are anyone's 'credentials'? The I.M.F. and their pals consistently get it wrong, as well as our own native economists. They always get it wrong in their predictions. No problem disagreeing with Chomsky's economic policies or his own predictions, but there's hardly an elite club out there of economists who always predict economic crashes or predict prosperity, 'turning the corner' etc.
'Avram Noam Chomsky (/ˈnoʊm ˈtʃɒmski/; born December 7, 1928) is an American linguist, philosopher,[8][9] cognitive scientist, logician,[10][11] historian, political critic, and activist. He is an Institute Professor and Professor (Emeritus) in the Department of Linguistics & Philosophy at MIT, where he has worked for over 50 years.[12] In addition to his work in linguistics, he has written on war, politics, and mass media, and is the author of over 100 books.[13] According to the Arts and Humanities Citation Index in 1992, Chomsky was cited as a source more often than any other living scholar from 1980 to 1992, and was the eighth most cited source overall.[14][15][16][17] He has been described as a prominent cultural figure, and he was voted the "world's top public intellectual" in a 2005 poll.[18][19]
Chomsky has been described as the "father of modern linguistics"[20][21] and a major figure of analytic philosophy.[8] His work has influenced fields such as computer science, mathematics, and psychology.[22][23] He is credited as the creator or co-creator of the Chomsky hierarchy, the universal grammar theory, and the Chomsky–Schützenberger theorem.' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky

Don't know about you but I don't have a problem with 8 euros to listen to this chap.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
'Avram Noam Chomsky (/ˈnoʊm ˈtʃɒmski/; born December 7, 1928) is an American linguist, philosopher,[8][9] cognitive scientist, logician,[10][11] historian, political critic, and activist. He is an Institute Professor and Professor (Emeritus) in the Department of Linguistics & Philosophy at MIT, where he has worked for over 50 years.[12] In addition to his work in linguistics, he has written on war, politics, and mass media, and is the author of over 100 books.[13] According to the Arts and Humanities Citation Index in 1992, Chomsky was cited as a source more often than any other living scholar from 1980 to 1992, and was the eighth most cited source overall.[14][15][16][17] He has been described as a prominent cultural figure, and he was voted the "world's top public intellectual" in a 2005 poll.[18][19]
Chomsky has been described as the "father of modern linguistics"[20][21] and a major figure of analytic philosophy.[8] His work has influenced fields such as computer science, mathematics, and psychology.[22][23] He is credited as the creator or co-creator of the Chomsky hierarchy, the universal grammar theory, and the Chomsky–Schützenberger theorem.' Noam Chomsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't know about you but I don't have a problem with 8 euros to listen to this chap.
True, but 20 quid from Dublin to Cork is a bit much for myself. It better be the best event of all time!

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Extremely intelligent man, I used to read everything he wrote on politics. But has lost it in recent years - succumbing to a relativist 'my enemy's enemy' approach to world politics, and very intolerant of anyone who dares challenge it.
Elaborate on how he has 'lost it', please.

Elaborate on how he has 'lost it', please.
He has, for example, said that there is no evidence that Osama Bin Laden was involved with the WTC attacks in New York, when there is a mass of evidence implicating him. He has also succumbed to moral equivalence - saying that the September 11th attacks were no worse than the Clinton strikes on targets in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in the 1990s (which were prompted themselves by the Embassy bombings by al Qaeda. It's not good enough. I speak as someone who admired Chomsky's writings for many years.

LamportsEdge

I hear he is going to announce he's throwing up intellectual pursuits in favour of Roman Catholic theology Toxic.

Insert change-of-heart here:

R

Ramps

Non-answer noted.

You brought up "credentials".

LamportsEdge

Non-answer noted.

You brought up "credentials".
erm- I posted them? Mr Aphorism has actually quoted them... post 31

R

Ramps

US society is obsessed with race, gender and sexuality. Its media and its laws reflect that.
No; a group of academics, ngos, politicians, and journalists/broadcasters are. Their dishonesty knows no end. E.g., their distortions about the death penalty and race, or the (imaginary) pay gap between men and women.

Coulter calls these liberal liars out every week; but she is wrong about other things, obviously.

Mercurial

No; a group of academics, ngos, politicians, and journalists/broadcasters are. Their dishonesty knows no end. E.g., their distortions about the death penalty and race, or the (imaginary) pay gap between men and women.

Coulter calls these liberal liars out every week; but she is wrong about other things, obviously.
That's simplistic and naive rubbish.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies