• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Noam Chomsky speaks at UCC, 4th of April.

Mercurial

It's 100% true. If you were informed on the various topics I mentioned, you'd be embarrassed to make the comment you just did.

I suggest you inform yourself.
Ann Coulter's ideas, the kinds of ideas you apparently endorse, are a child's ideas of society and politics; devoid of any semblance of subtlety, nuance, or logical rigor.

former wesleyan

Chomsky and his " credentials " are as relevant to one of his obsessions - the Middle East - as would be asking a proctologist to perform an angioplasty. He made his name in jousts with the effette William Buckley and had dined out on it since. That's over 30 years btw.

R

Ramps

Ann Coulter's ideas, the kinds of ideas you apparently endorse, are a child's ideas of society and politics; devoid of any semblance of subtlety, nuance, or logical rigor.
I'm surprised at your coming up with that non-answer. Anyway, did you miss the times I wrote that I disagreed with AC?!

james5001

Extremely intelligent man, I used to read everything he wrote on politics. But has lost it in recent years - succumbing to a relativist 'my enemy's enemy' approach to world politics, and very intolerant of anyone who dares challenge it.
I think people have falsely come to that conclusion because only certain views of his are usually published.

Mercurial

I'm surprised at your coming up with that non-answer. Anyway, did you miss the times I wrote that I disagreed with AC?!
If I read you correctly, you said you disagreed with her on some of her bullsh1t, but not all of it.

james5001

Or I could just knock back a bottle of vodka, bang my head against a wall, spin in a circle for 40 seconds, and see what unintelligible garbage spews out of my mouth....t'would save me the 8 euro.
I await the publication of a book of yours which contains 100's of references to back up the stuff you say.

james5001

There is no dictator Chomsky will not defend or support as long as they are anti-American.

If he were listened to the Taliban would still rule Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein and Gaddaffi would still be alive.

His anarcho syndicalism philosophy is complete b*llsh*t.

He is a crashing bore too.
1st bold point-Name one then, with a quote of his support.
2nd bold point- Silly point.
3rd bold point- How insightful. Do go on.

james5001

And he's boring; oh so very boring.

It's so funny watching all the silly little SU types hanging on his every word as he mumbles along.
I'd prefer to listen to what he says than the rubbish that comes out of Obama's mouth.

R

Ramps

If I read you correctly, you said you disagreed with her on some of her bullsh1t, but not all of it.
That's a very strange sentence. If I considered what she said "bullsh*t", why would I agree with it?!

Just so we're clear: I disagree with AC on some things; I think she is absolutely correct on others.

james5001

Excuse me, but what are Chomsky's "credentials" in economics, a subject he thinks he is free to waffle on about endlessly. His economic arguments are absurd, absolutely absurd; but because he's on the Left he's afforded immunity from criticism.

Have you heard the way he maligned Milton Friedman? He's either dishonest or thick; and I know which one I think is apt.
1: Open one of his books.
2: Go to back of book showing the hundreds of references to back up practically everything he says.
3: Go back to bed.

james5001

james5001

He has, for example, said that there is no evidence that Osama Bin Laden was involved with the WTC attacks in New York, when there is a mass of evidence implicating him. He has also succumbed to moral equivalence - saying that the September 11th attacks were no worse than the Clinton strikes on targets in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in the 1990s (which were prompted themselves by the Embassy bombings by al Qaeda. It's not good enough. I speak as someone who admired Chomsky's writings for many years.
Where did he say that?
Also, on the Sudan point- ''According to Kamm, I "deployed fanciful arithmetic to draw an equivalence" between 9-11 and Clinton's destruction of the al-Shifa pharmaceutical plant, which produced half of Sudan's supplies. The equivalence is, again, his fanciful construction. Discussing the "horrendous crime" committed on 9-11 with "wickedness and awesome cruelty," I mentioned that the toll may be comparable to the consequences of Clinton's bombing of the Sudan, about which I said nothing further.''

james5001

Non-answer noted.

You brought up "credentials".
Open up one of his books and all the references he included in all sorts of journals, newspapers and books. There's your credentials.

james5001

Yes, but I asked you, specifically, about economics.
Why does he need a qualification in economics to talk about economics?

james5001

It's 100% true. If you were informed on the various topics I mentioned, you'd be embarrassed to make the comment you just did.

I suggest you inform yourself.
Says the lad that won't read Chomsky's books.

james5001

Chomsky and his " credentials " are as relevant to one of his obsessions - the Middle East - as would be asking a proctologist to perform an angioplasty. He made his name in jousts with the effette William Buckley and had dined out on it since. That's over 30 years btw.
And no very serious commentators went up against him since. For obvious reasons.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies