• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Noel Ahern to ban magic mushrooms

Libero

In another effort to protect us from ourselves, the man in charge of our National Drugs Strategy, Noel Ahern TD, has announced on RTÉ radio today that he will bring forward secondary legislation to criminalise the possession of mushrooms containing certain active substances. Quite how ad hoc decisions made without much effort at justification count as "strategic" is beyond me, but this is politicians we're dealing with.

At the moment, it is only illegal to possess magic mushrooms that have been processed, e.g. dried or cut.

When it was suggested to Mr. Ahern that perhaps people should be left to decide these things for themselves, he warned us all that magic mushrooms can be dangerous and addictive. The 'addictive' claim is well open to dispute, and mushrooms are far less dangerous than, say, alcohol and lots of other legal things.

Mr. Ahern was also less than reassuring on how people will turn from law-abiding citizens to drug-offence criminals simply by picking up a certain type of mushroom. It is entirely possible that under his new legislation, anyone who picks up some mushrooms to clean their garden or a field will be guilty of possession of controlled drugs.

In other news, some road in India is to be named after Eamon de Valera. It's truly a great little nation we live in.

Bogwarrior

Ridiculous, unworkable, and dangerous. It's obviously just gimmickry politics, to get de name in da papers. This will only lead to dumbass teens eating the mushrooms raw, and in situ,(like when I was a dumbass teen).
Whats next? Criminalising the possession of glue or aerosols?
Magic mushrooms only grow for a few short weeks in September, and are hardly number 1, in the threat the Irish youth division. Most people try them once, throw up, and grow out of it, before the next season is upon us.

Conor

Bogwarrior said:
Magic mushrooms only grow for a few short weeks in September, and are hardly number 1, in the threat the Irish youth division. Most people try them once, throw up, and grow out of it, before the next season is upon us.
AFAIK, magic mushrooms are cultivated all year. They're certainly available for sale all year; I'm not sure how the law reflects this.

At last, a politician has the guts to stand up and do Something about the mushroom-chomping hordes of young people that plague our streets, out of their minds on The Drugs. Thank God. Our national obsession with magic mushrooms is something for which we should all hang our heads in shame. It's about time Something was done.

This counts as Something.

Jim84

One of the best places in Dublin to get magic mushrooms is the base of the papal monument in the Phoenix Park

That according to the Star, so it's probably not true

Bogwarrior

Jim84 said:
One of the best places in Dublin to get magic mushrooms is the base of the papal monument in the Phoenix Park

That according to the Star, so it's probably not true
Surprised The Star doesn't refer to them as "Evil Mushrooms", instead of the catchy. "Magic Mushrooms". Like those plebs who refer to suicide bombers as Homicide bombers, just to be smart.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
nah, try your local golf course. Don't know why, or what it is about fertiliser they use on golf courses, but every magic-mushie I ever knew seemed to take great interest in the game round aug-sept time

Maximus

There have been a number of tragic deaths recently related to magic mushrooms. Most recently a young lad jumped off the balcony of a 5-story apartment block while at a party. Its believed the mushrooms had been bought in a local “head shop”.

If the Minister’s regulations save one life they will be worthwhile.

FTA69

There's a field outside Crosshaven in Cork where a large KFC coke cup can be filled in about 40 minutes of picking. Mushrooms are not "addictive" at all, do no harm to anyone and as such should be freely available. Bloody whingers will want to ban fags and drink next, or maybe fatty foods "because they're bad for ya".

Picture the future headlines: "7 kilos of chips seized in dawn raids in Tallaght"

"South African drug mule found carrying 2 pounds of swallowed batter sausages".

Bogwarrior

Maximus said:
There have been a number of tragic deaths recently related to magic mushrooms. Most recently a young lad jumped off the balcony of a 5-story apartment block while at a party. Its believed the mushrooms had been bought in a local “head shop”.

Was this an alcohol free party? If not, you'll have to get a better example of the dangers of MM's, rather than someone, who may have been
A. suicidal.
B. Drunk
or C. Drunk with Magic Mushroom intake.
The South American Indians take these things, like we have a lunchtime drink. All Aherne has done has given this product, some cool media coverage, no doubt the fields of Ireland will be tramped tomorrow, by hordes of curious teens.

The OD

Maximus said:

As Bill Hicks used to say 'If these morons truly believe they can fly, why dont they take off from the ground? You dont see ducks flying south for winter queing up for elevators, do you?'.

Simon.D

Maximus said:

How many deaths are caused by alcohol each year?

Why are you so eager to give up a freedom because of one act stupidity.. If I see a mushroom in a field, I want the option to be able to pick it up and bring it home with me.. I've never taken the things, and probably never will.. but would still like the option to do so..

Pax

The big Magic Mushroom Kingdom MNC/conglomerates (diageo..sorry Marioageo etc)and their lobbyists will be up in arms about this one!

It'll be like that film De Insider.
What a truly brave move by the Minister. Thinking of The Children, et cetera...

And of course we can expect similar clampdowns on alcohol advertising next I suppose.

fish08

The OD said:
As Bill Hicks used to say 'If these morons truly believe they can fly, why dont they take off from the ground? You dont see ducks flying south for winter queing up for elevators, do you?'.
Bill Hicks said:
"Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy." What a d*ck, f*ck him! He's an idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out. You don't see ducks lining up to catch elevators to fly South. They fly from the ground, you moron. Quit ruining it for everybody. He's a moron, he's dead, good. We lost a moron, f*cking celebrate. Boy I just felt the world get lighter - we lost a moron. Put on the Hammer album, I'm ready to dance! [dances] "We lost a moron." I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out. Professional help is being sought.

fish08

Maximus said:
I'm going to ban (with my newfound drug fuelled super powers) crossing the road, for any reason, anywhere. If it saves one life, its worth it.

Gladstone

Again, people know there is risks when they take these things, we don't need Noel to protect us from ourselves.

The nanny state grows further...

Zhirkov

stringjack said:
Maximus said:
The minister is planning to ban balconies?
You could just as easily try to take off from a bridge.
It's the mushrooms that are the danger

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Zhirkov said:
stringjack said:
Maximus said:
The minister is planning to ban balconies?
You could just as easily try to take off from a bridge.
It's the mushrooms that are the danger
isn't it your mind stupid people who take these mushrooms Zhirkov ?

can't we ban stupidity ?