Noel Ahern to ban magic mushrooms

CJH

In another effort to protect us from ourselves, the man in charge of our National Drugs Strategy, Noel Ahern TD, has announced on RTÉ radio today that he will bring forward secondary legislation to criminalise the possession of mushrooms containing certain active substances. Quite how ad hoc decisions made without much effort at justification count as "strategic" is beyond me, but this is politicians we're dealing with.
I wish I could say I'm shocked by the stupidity of all this, but I can't. I would have thought Ahern could have found better things to do rather than appeasing the know-nothing know-it-all members of the public who like to do nothing more than poke their noses into the private business of others. Hopefully this is just waffle, and nothing will come of it. Was he asked a question on the topic? Or did he come out with this without any prompting?

In other news, some road in India is to be named after Eamon de Valera. It's truly a great little nation we live in
It's a main street in Delhi, and what's wrong with it? If you are waiting for someone, anyone, to name something after Des O'Malley, you'll be waiting a long long time.

soad

its obvious noelly boy had a bad trip last time he ate a few mushrooms. But as is usual with Irish politics, unplanned shortsighted and totally stupid legislation will be put forward for approval. Aye aye aye...

Oldira

Maximus said:
There have been a number of tragic deaths recently related to magic mushrooms. Most recently a young lad jumped off the balcony of a 5-story apartment block while at a party. Its believed the mushrooms had been bought in a local “head shop”.

If the Minister’s regulations save one life they will be worthwhile.
Banning cars would save 398 lives so no doubt you are in favour of that?

RepublicOfLuas

Former system-lackie turned hippy healer :)

[video=youtube;U2OPNZ4OheE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OPNZ4OheE[/video]

Amber Lyon, 3-time Emmy award winning journalist, describes how her work as a journalist covering social justice issues lead to her suffering from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and how experience with Ayahuasca cured her of the disorder and led to a radical spiritual and career shift.

benroe

[video=youtube;XOET9n8wnmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOET9n8wnmo[/video]

Cricket grounds are also great breeding grounds for them. Maybe they grow everywhere; it's just that the better-tended swards with their shorter grass make them more visible.

I recall one match being interrupted by a couple of heads on their hands and knees at fine leg. I threw them off the ground for their own safety, but told them the game would be over in twenty minutes. When the game was over and I'd showered, changed etc, I strolled out with a beer. They must have had about a third of a shopping bag filled with the things.

I tried them a couple of times, but they don't work well on me.

Those friends who took them did so only during the very short season when they were available. None of them were addicted. The only issue they had was the short term tolerance which saw them having to increase the dose if they had taken any in the previous few days. To an onlooker that could easily be interpreted as addiction.

Halvard777

In another effort to protect us from ourselves, the man in charge of our National Drugs Strategy, Noel Ahern TD, has announced on RTÉ radio today that he will bring forward secondary legislation to criminalise the possession of mushrooms containing certain active substances. Quite how ad hoc decisions made without much effort at justification count as "strategic" is beyond me, but this is politicians we're dealing with.

At the moment, it is only illegal to possess magic mushrooms that have been processed, e.g. dried or cut.

When it was suggested to Mr. Ahern that perhaps people should be left to decide these things for themselves, he warned us all that magic mushrooms can be dangerous and addictive. The 'addictive' claim is well open to dispute, and mushrooms are far less dangerous than, say, alcohol and lots of other legal things.

Mr. Ahern was also less than reassuring on how people will turn from law-abiding citizens to drug-offence criminals simply by picking up a certain type of mushroom. It is entirely possible that under his new legislation, anyone who picks up some mushrooms to clean their garden or a field will be guilty of possession of controlled drugs.

In other news, some road in India is to be named after Eamon de Valera. It's truly a great little nation we live in.

Nature a criminal offence, the idiocy of modern humans.

How to they think Jesus got his Shamanic wisdom in the desert ?

Halvard777

There have been a number of tragic deaths recently related to magic mushrooms. Most recently a young lad jumped off the balcony of a 5-story apartment block while at a party. Its believed the mushrooms had been bought in a local “head shop”.

If the Minister’s regulations save one life they will be worthwhile.

Everything we do carries some level of risk.

Its psychologically healthier to live in a society of balanced risks then have a repressed society based on fearing everything. Even things which carry minute risks.

Last edited:

zakalwe1

Nature a criminal offence, the idiocy of modern humans.

How to they think Jesus got his Shamanic wisdom in the desert ?
i doubt from mushrooms....if thats the point you are trying to make

zakalwe1

Everything we do carries some level of risk.

Its psychologically healthier in live in a society of balanced risks then have a repressed society based on fearing everything. Even things which carry minute risks.
i fell down stairs while checking my smartphone for emails, and broke 2 ribs....so should we ban stairs or smartphones or emails or stupidity? becuase someone other than me is to blame....and i feel something needs to be banned "to prevent any other person experiencing my pain".

ireallyshouldknowbetter

When mushrooms are re-legalised, it will most likely be as a treatment for post traumatic stress disorder and severe depression. It can also help childhood abuse sufferers to erase fear memories.

There have been some genuinely amazing results from studies in recent years. It appears to be the case that psilocybin repairs brain damage and actually promotes the growth of new brain cells.

A new study by The University of South Florida has found that low doses of the active ingredient in magic mushrooms repairs brain damage caused by extreme trauma, offering renewed hope to millions of sufferers of PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder).

The study confirms previous research by Imperial College London, that psilocybin, a naturally occurring compound present in "shrooms", stimulates new brain cell growth and erases frightening memories.

New study shows magic mushrooms repair brain damage caused by extreme trauma - NaturalNews.com

Top Bottom