• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Noel Whelan: compare and contrast

Libero

Noel Whelan is a well-known Fianna Fáil supporter and one-time electoral candidate. He has a regular column in the Irish Times.

Reading his piece in today's paper (Saturday 27th December), I thought Politics.ie users might be interested in drawing some comparisons with a piece of his from roughly 3 months ago.

4th October: The Cowen Government comes of age - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 04, 2008
27th December: Need to resist demand for superficial fix - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 27, 2008

I won't take the time to cut and paste some, ahem, contrasting points of view. Well, maybe later.

In the meantime, can anyone answer: what's the point of this clown, apart from shameless party hackery? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how completely f--ked are Fianna Fáil if this is the best that a leading supporter, a practicing barrister, can come up with?

hopi watcher

Noel Whelan is a well-known Fianna Fáil supporter and one-time electoral candidate. He has a regular column in the Irish Times.

Reading his piece in today's paper (Saturday 27th December), I thought Politics.ie users might be interested in drawing some comparisons with a piece of his from roughly 3 months ago.

4th October: The Cowen Government comes of age - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 04, 2008
27th December: Need to resist demand for superficial fix - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 27, 2008

I won't take the time to cut and paste some, ahem, contrasting points of view. Well, maybe later.

In the meantime, can anyone answer: what's the point of this clown, apart from shameless party hackery? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how completely f--ked are Fianna Fáil if this is the best that a leading supporter, a practicing barrister, can come up with?

This type of stuff would be bearable if the writer was a gobsh*te, but he is not, he is a party hack spinning. What is amazing is the damage that is being done to the Irish Times seems not to bother anyone involved with the paper.

Question R24U

I suggest you do consider today's piece with a little bit more time than you have done. Think about where we were 21 years ago and far we have come. Think about the fact that thousands born between 79 and 90, had the option to remain in their country of birth and work here. Reconsider the importance of over two million people in employment and the greater participation of women. Reevaluate the road and rail network to how it was to where it is going. Think about the diverse job base we now have. Think about how better educated people are now. And better paid too. And think about how the pension and child benefit have increased as well.
In short, THINK, don't give us a knee jerk.

I suggest you do consider today's piece with a little bit more time than you have done. Think about where we were 21 years ago and far we have come. Think about the fact that thousands born between 79 and 90, had the option to remain in their country of birth and work here. Reconsider the importance of over two million people in employment and the greater participation of women. Reevaluate the road and rail network to how it was to where it is going. Think about the diverse job base we now have. Think about how better educated people are now. And better paid too. And think about how the pension and child benefit have increased as well.

I think.

You know what I THINK?

I THINK Fianna Fail are corrupt gangsters who have robbed our country and brought it to the verge of ruin, indeed through their mass importation of foreigners have changed the very fabric of our nation and left the Irish people of this and future generations to face countless social and racial problems.

That's what I THINK!

Question R24U

James C, i will [leave]aside your inaccurate racist rant and concentrate on one line you said 'we are on the verge of ruin'. Really? You think a drop from being the fourth wealthiest nation constitutes ruin. You think employment falling by twenty thousand is a disaster. You consider a budget deficit at a time of international recession to be imprudent. You object to borrowing to invest, when we have a low national debt. Do you really think we are ruined?
That is buying into hysteria, not thinking.

Last edited:
James C, i will aside your inaccurate racist rant .

Where is the "inaccurate racist rant"? Please justify your slur or else withdraw it.

This slur is straight from the Fianna Fail playbook. Scream "racist" at all and sundry.

Witness the simpering fool Conor Lenehan and his attacks on anyone who suggested reforms in migration policy. Or the inane Hanahan and her contemptible use of the same word you used.

Who came up with that tactic? Noel Whelan?

Fianna Fail- useless and inefficient at everything but lies and corruption.

Fr. Hank Tree

Nothing worse than a hack who is presented as being some sort of neutral observer.
Backroom in SBP is another one, seems to have a permanent obsession with what the opposition are doing, forgetting that they're merely a collection of TDs with no actual power.

Question R24U

He appears on the page to try to balance garret fitz. That might be a clue to those not familiar with his long and continuing history with ff (i say try because both men are fans of cowen)

jmcc

This type of stuff would be bearable if the writer was a gobsh*te, but he is not, he is a party hack spinning. What is amazing is the damage that is being done to the Irish Times seems not to bother anyone involved with the paper.
The Lisbon Times used to be a good newspaper once. Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes was appointing Kennedy editor. I sometimes wonder if even Tintin would have been a better editor.

Regards...jmcc

Question R24U

Tin tin as editor, the letters page would have be addressed as Citizen,. While i may not agree with him all the time, the quality of the produce would certainly be better than the current offering. But its a no to noel whelan as editor i suppose.

Question R24U

Some complete plank redcarded with this piece of chicanery 'it is not racist to be concerned about the future of one's country'.
I presume they didn't have the space to add that some of their best friends are foreigners and their importation can also bring economic benefits.
Such observations are boring and offtopic and i don't engage with xenophobes. Which is why the main point of my post asked questions related another spurious claim that the country is ruined. whelan asked we keep things in perspective - some people appear incapable of that.

Some complete plank redcarded with this piece of chicanery 'it is not racist to be concerned about the future of one's country'.
I presume they didn't have the space to add that some of their best friends are foreigners and their importation can also bring economic benefits.
Such observations are boring and offtopic and i don't engage with xenophobes. Which is why the main point of my post asked questions related another spurious claim that the country is ruined. whelan asked we keep things in perspective - some people appear incapable of that.

Since you're a Fianna Fail hack, your attempt to claim moral superiority is farcical.

Fianna Fail--the only thing they're good at is corruption and theft.

And, like all the nags in the Fianna Fail stable, you're a coward. You threw out a stupid insult, were asked to justify or retract, and just slunk away.
Slime.

Question R24U

The old lady of tara st is indeed in trouble. It no longer relevant. It is bought by about 116,000. Its advertising has been more than decimated. Its new building was a boom vanity project. The quality is not there. We await a supreme court decision to see if its editor has to comply with the law. Having a ff hack write for it, is the least of its worries.

Libero

Knee jerk?

I took the time to point to Whelan's piece today - the one in praise of having the government take its time and not be rushed - and contrasted it with his piece from last October where he was praising the government for taking fast, decisive action.

In response to that, you've given us some standard-issue blurb on progress. None of which addresses Whelan's startling about-face on the virtues of the hare versus the tortoise.

I'll leave it to others to decide which of us two posters gave the knee-jerk response.

Reading back on Whelan's piece, I'm even more struck by how he warns us not to rush the government without even addressing his theme from last October, when he warned that others (read: Enda Kenny) would probably not have the guts to take fast, decisive action.

He's all over the place. He might be onto something if he had made an argument in favour of fast action in some circumstances and slower, more considerate action in others. But he didn't do that, did he?

sarak2

Whelan is seen by FF party as an embarrassment. He lacks intellectual calibre and is simply a dull writer.

Think his only government experience was a few months as adviser to junior minister tom kitt!!

NapperTandy

It is a bit misleading of the media to refer to him as a political analyst. At least 'Fox News' refer to commentators as either Republican or Democratic consultants. His analysis on Bertie was useless, he kept saying he would remain in power until 2011, weeks before he went. I get the impression he is trying to spin too much, or he is flying kites on behalf of the Government. There is a role for people like him in the media, but when RTE interview him as a political analyst, it is very misleading to say the least.

smitchy2

QuestionR24u,

Although the media has suddenly gone into hyperbole about the recession after over a year and a half of ignoring indicators, your perspective is completely biased.

There has been improvement in every level over the last 20 years but with the amount of wealth created here it would be criminal if the government did not use the billions in taxes to some good use.
What is obvious now is that there was a substantial amount of waste especially in the last 8 years to please all sorts of unions without the foresight could they fund it on a long term basis.
This government failed in this regard completely.
The next few years are going to be very bleak for a lot in this country.
There will be more people than ever out of work in this country(albeit more jobs will in the economy than before).
The extend of borrowings that will have to be made is overwhelming and will be particularly hard and expensive to negotiate.

Please come back and defend your position this time in 1 or 2 years.
I am afraid it is time to get people like you out of government and get people in who might be able to manage the risks this country faces.

FakeViking

Today's column is a classic blend of "I have to write n000 words" combined with "I can't criticise my dear leader". He goes from:
Kenny comes to the ardfheis having spent most of the week in China where, as well as promoting trade, he secured the formal promise of future Chinese investment in Irish bonds, assets and/or infrastructure.
Kenny’s energy and demeanour have been his most significant political traits as Taoiseach. He has been excellent as the Government front-of-house man at home and abroad, and has proved competent both at his desk in Government Buildings and at the Taoiseach’s perch in Dáil Éireann.
i.e. damning with faint praise, and a lot different to his attitiude to the seat polisher who held the position immediately before him (you know the one, not good enough to be head of FF but good enough to be Taoiseach).

And FF head spinmeister's next sentence is:

Kenny has, however, been a light-touch Taoiseach, leaving Ministers to their own devices, free from detailed supervision.
wtf? Does he expect Kenny to micromanage each and every department? At least he knows who his ministers are, and what job they do. Back in the happy days of FF, McCreevy used to brief his boss on what was coming up in the Budget the evening before.