• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Noel Whelan RIP

Clanrickard

Sad to hear Noel Whelan has passed away. Always came across as articulate and a decent type. Didn't always like his columns but many o them were thought provoking in a way some of the other light weights that now write at the IT are not.

Baron von Biffo

Sad to hear Noel Whelan has passed away. Always came across as articulate and a decent type. Didn't always like his columns but many o them were thought provoking in a way some of the other light weights that now write at the IT are not.
Very sad news. He was one of the more substantial contributors to public debate.

enuffisenuff

I don't have a opinion on him either way but jees that's no age to go......

Orbit v2

Sorry to hear this. His passing seems to have been overshadowed this morning somewhat by Brendan Grace. I liked Noel a lot, and was always interested to hear his thoughts; even though I always regarded him as a member of what I'd call the 'serious' brigade, meaning I always felt he was very much in tune with senior civil servant thinking, and would rarely suggest anything too radical.

MsDaisyC

He may have been an effin effer, but made great contributions to the recent equality and Repeal campaigns. Condolences to his family and friends.

Gin Soaked

Always liked his analysis. A grown up commentator with gravitas.

His support for marriage equality was impactful because of his intelligence and background.

Desperately sad to be taken so young. Thoughts with his family.

fifilawe

RIP to Mr.Whelan. He was a media whore, who loved the sound of his own voice.I would purposely avoid any media occasion where he appeared on be it Wireless or TV.I read a few of his columns early on in the IT but once I found out his political Baggage background , I immediately stopped.One of old school brainwashed from birth by his family political history.He could not see the wood from the trees due to his 'blinded loyalty'.He just went lib retard during the last 10 years and would jump on any "popular bandwagon" even if it meant going to hell.

drjimryan2

RIP to Mr.Whelan. He was a media whore, who loved the sound of his own voice.I would purposely avoid any media occasion where he appeared on be it Wireless or TV.I read a few of his columns early on in the IT but once I found out his political Baggage background , I immediately stopped.One of old school brainwashed from birth by his family political history.He could not see the wood from the trees due to his 'blinded loyalty'.He just went lib retard during the last 10 years and would jump on any "popular bandwagon" even if it meant going to hell.
Harsh

General Urko

Shocking news! And so young @ just 50, though, I honestly assumed he was older.
Noel Whelan RIP!

owedtojoy

Sorry to hear this

I think his "political DNA" and his political instincts were Fianna Fail-ish, which (I hasten to add) is a respected tradition in Irish politics.

But he was a good writer and a perceptive commentator.

RIP.

The OD

Didn't like the guy but he did some good and he didn't deserve to die so young.

Wagmore

Yeah-sorry to hear about his illness and sorry for his family. Totally endorse your view of his politics though. A total zealot when it came to promoting liberal agenda.

former wesleyan

You don't listen to Finucane, you don't listen to Whelan , you don't .... I'd take that radio to the car boot sale if I were you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies