• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Non payment of fine. Court Case pending .

seanmoylantd

My dear old Dad got a fine of two hundred euro from An Garda [Motoring Offense] He had twenty eight days to pay. He left it until day 21, and being a seventies child bought a PO from An Post for the amount of two hundred euros to pay his fine.

Thurles [Traffic Fines Dept]couldn't process a PO as it wasn't payable to a individual bank account [knowing my Dad it probably just said ' to cash'] .So they sent the PO back with a letter saying his payment window had run out and it was now going to Court.
I went to my local TD [well he did] but once it's in the Court System TDs can't advise . Is Court now inevitable?

P Ryan

My dear old Dad got a fine of two hundred euro from An Garda [Motoring Offense] He had twenty eight days to pay. He left it until day 21, and being a seventies child bought a PO from An Post for the amount of two hundred euros to pay his fine.

Thurles [Traffic Fines Dept]couldn't process a PO as it wasn't payable to a individual bank account [knowing my Dad it probably just said ' to cash'] .So they sent the PO back with a letter saying his payment window had run out and it was now going to Court.
I went to my local TD [well he did] but once it's in the Court System TDs can't advise . Is Court now inevitable?
When he goes to the big house, I hope the prisoner officer asking him to bend over and spread doesn't have large hands petunia

slippy wicket

It's a pain in the ass, but it will have to go to court.
Something similar happened to my dad.
Once it's in, there is no flexibility.

RobertW

Yes. . .Court is probably inevitable.

He should turn up and explain his situation to the Judge. . . Not much the TD can do

Eoin Coir

If he gets a summons to court just go and tell what happened and have the evidence. Most justices are human beings after all. He can go or you can go for him, it is allowable under dc rules.

tigerben

I'm sure once it's explained to the judge it will be fine! Surely in a case like this once a PO is sent back, the time left to pay should be from the day the PO was received.

SeanieFitz

Yes. . .Court is probably inevitable.

He should turn up and explain his situation to the Judge. . . Not much the TD can do
ridiculous situation, i reckon the judge will be sympathetic towards your Dad and p11sed at the waste of court time

Sync

Yeah he's not going to get hassle, go with the letter, explain the situation, pay the fine as is. He's not going to get an additional punishment.

zakalwe1

if the judge is reasonable...then he/she will accept that a genuine attempt to pay the fine was made and once fine is paid, that should be that....

having said that, when your father stands up in court to give his side, he should preface his statement with "for the record, your honour, i voted no in the judge's pay referendum"...

only jking...the solicitor will do all the talking...

southwestkerry

unfortunately once the paper work runs its course and the computer says your in trouble their is no way back. On the day in court the judge may be a kind type and go easy as they sometime can read between the lines and I would hope they would in your dads case.
swk

Monday Monday

In fairness to An Garda Siochana they have no way of knowing whether it was an accident or a deliberate attempt to avoid paying.

I'm hoping sense will prevail and your Dad will show up, explain what happened, pay on the day and that's the end of it.

Mitsui2

It is indeed a ridiculous situation, and apart from the waste of court time an unnecessary amount of stress to dump on a man who's presumably fairly elderly (if the OP's use of "old" isn't just affectionate).

Surely this type of thing happens with at least some little frequency. You'd think they'd have some kind of ability to cope with it without resorting to this kind of nonsense.

P Ryan

In fairness to An Garda Siochana they have no way of knowing whether it was an accident or a deliberate attempt to avoid paying.

I'm hoping sense will prevail and your Dad will show up, explain what happened, pay on the day and that's the end of it.
Nah, 7 years with last 2 suspended ;)

Davidoff

Let me put your mind at rest.

Your father has absolutely nothing to worry about. In fact, he shouldn't even pay the fine.

I'm assuming, of course, that he's a beef baron, a property developer, or a senior banker.

In all other caes he's fooked.

FrankSpeaks

I would expect the judge to be lenient and let him off with just paying the fine. One thing why did you bother going to a TD? It is patently obvious that s\he will have no influence on the outcome.

an modh coinniolach

Yes they do, a postal order is not like a cheque, you have to buy it in advance. If the events we've been recounted are correct, the man had clearly parted with his money in good time. There is no excuse for a system which cannot avoid sending this going to court; it is a waste of public time and money.

From http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Glossary+of+Terms.htm#P
Postal Money Order: The paper alternative to sending cash by post for customers that do not have a chequebook.

irishpancake

If he gets a summons to court just go and tell what happened and have the evidence. Most justices are human beings after all. He can go or you can go for him, it is allowable under dc rules.
Jazuz.....name one that isn't....and post a piccy

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

Hope you see the humour [attempted]

Expose the lot of them

if the judge is reasonable...then he/she will accept that a genuine attempt to pay the fine was made and once fine is paid, that should be that....

having said that, when your father stands up in court to give his side, he should preface his statement with "for the record, your honour, i voted no in the judge's pay referendum"...

only jking...the solicitor will do all the talking...
What solicitor? There is no need to waste money on a solicitor, he can represent himself. Does he know the Garda who issued the penalty notice? He should introduce himself to Garda concerned on the Court day (if he does not already know him/her), explain the situation and that he will be representing himself.

In my experience Judges are sympathetic in these situations, of course it is possible for the Gardai to withdraw the charges on the day of the hearing,

Bottom line no solicitors.

seanmoylantd

I would expect the judge to be lenient and let him off with just paying the fine. One thing why did you bother going to a TD? It is patently obvious that s\he will have no influence on the outcome.

Dad did. He's old school.