Non-voters - how can the opposition get them out?

Congalltee

If someone tells you they won't vote ask them who they would vote for if the ballot paper was in front of them and a gun was put to their head. If they say FF or Green change the subject. If they say anybody else tell them they have already made their choice but they are denying themselves a say.
Sadly far too many deny themselves their say. In any democracy, one's say is diluted at every turn. But where many in whole areas don't vote, they deprive their neighbours their voice as well.

junius

It is a national poll. Your son can register in both. As long as he only votes in one. As I said, you can register up to fifteen days before polling day.
:confused: :confused: People can register in lots of places? Wherever they want or wherever they might be on a particular day? So long as they only vote in one? What kind of nonsense is this?

You mean vote riggers could register all over the country and spend the day travelling from one to the next to the next and so on? Who or what is going to ensure they only vote once?

Congalltee

:confused: :confused: People can register in lots of places? Wherever they want or wherever they might be on a particular day? So long as they only vote in one? What kind of nonsense is this?

You mean vote riggers could register all over the country and spend the day travelling from one to the next to the next and so on? Who or what is going to ensure they only vote once?
Yes. No . Yes. The law can be ignored. Yes. Polling clerks, a register of voters, fear of prosecution and the futility of the exercise (it would bs easier to go to a pub and pay punters to vote).

The election will almost certainly will be on a Thursday so your son shod print off the form, go to a Garda station with proof of address and register his vote for where he will be living for february to april.

junius

Yes. No . Yes. The law can be ignored. Yes. Polling clerks, a register of voters, fear of prosecution and the futility of the exercise (it would bs easier to go to a pub and pay punters to vote).
Polling clerks will have great difficulty with knowing the quarter of the population who has arrived from elsewhere in the last few years. And it seems that the law can be ignored particularly if you're rich (legally or otherwise) and the wealthier you are the less fear of prosecution too! This seems like madness. I got my son put on the register (as somehow he had escaped being on it despite being born here) and all I had to write was his name and sign that I knew him. That's ludicrous - won't we get the queer gunk if FF get in again!! with a landslide victory!!Still:confused:

John Deere 5820

I think if the opposition pointed out that not excising your democratic right to vote you are basically supporting the government

eyequeen

I have never voted, i don't know how to even go about it. Can anyone help me with this. thank you

logic

In every election well in excess of 30% of people do not vote. It is not always the same people, but a large proportion simply do not vote. And never will.

They have a legal right not to vote notwithstanding their social duty to do so. Many many people will be so disillusioned with politics that former voters may be turned off. Fianna Fail is a sad reflection of its formeer self from Lemass's time. I do wonder whether if FG had won the last election - would we be better off. I doubt it. But a change of personnel has to be good for us. Doesn't it?

What can be done to motivate the non-voter to vote?
1. Education - teach the importance of it.
2. Guilt - think of those who do not have the right to do so.
Both are bull.

The only think which can motivate someone who has never voted to do so, if there that there is something in it for them or that their anger is such they feel the desire to spend that half hour or so to vote. The best way is perhap asking people not to vote FOR parties but to vote against one in particular by supporting all of the others.

In your view - how do we rock the vote?.
We should provide incentives to hear someone else's opinion? If they're either too stupid or lazy to vote then they don't deserve to get a say in how the country is run, there should only be one reward for voting...... increasing the chance of implementing policies you agree with.

logic

I have never voted, i don't know how to even go about it. Can anyone help me with this. thank you
The advice given seems sound enough, well done for doing something about it tho

the real problem about not voting of course is that areas / groups who can be identified as non voters will be ignored by politicians. this being the case non voters are doing themselves a disservice and are setting up a vicious circle. they wont vote because they are alienated from the political system, the political system will not be affected by this non vote, the status quo will remain and the circle is complete. why do you think that the old age pension wasn't touched in the last budget - older people vote in high numbers. why do you think that services for younger people were cut - younger people do not vote in high numbers- qed

gombeennation

i think a lot of people think that there is no point in voting for anyone other than FF or FG - since one of them will be in power.

an FGer might be out canvassing and be met by "yous are all the same".
what can the FGer do?

point out that they attacked attacked attacked bertie over his finances - and pushed the point that he doesnt have a tax clearance cert? nope

point out that they led the charge against waste , by hounding john o donoghue out of office? Nope - enda said the matter was over and done with.

point out they chased willie odea out on the back of him signing a false affidavit in the high court? nope.

point out that they took legal action to have the by elections take place? nope.

now , i get that FG can point out policy differences etc etc etc but these are only words from the lying political class.
non voters dont believe the word of these goons - take for instance the greens? people would have voted for them on the basis of their lies - what did it get them? nothing other than planet gormley.

the only ones who seem to DO stuff is SF - thats why i am considering them this time around.

hiding behind a poster

Nonsense, the registered electorate is around three million and less than two million show up to vote. You can't just disappear over a million people by pretending they were all on holiday, in hospital or at college. There are vast numbers of people not voting because we effectively have a one party system with no variety of choice between candidates and their policies.
I didn't say over a million people weren't voting for those reasons, though. Read my post again.

hiding behind a poster

It is a national poll. Your son can register in both. As long as he only votes in one. As I said, you can register up to fifteen days before polling day.
Which is another reason why its almost impossible to get a turnout higher than about 70%. Many people register in two places, but only vote in one - but as far as the register is concerned, they're two different people, one of whom hasn't voted.

hiding behind a poster

an FGer might be out canvassing and be met by "yous are all the same".
what can the FGer do?

point out that they attacked attacked attacked bertie over his finances - and pushed the point that he doesnt have a tax clearance cert? nope
They did that, though.

point out that they led the charge against waste , by hounding john o donoghue out of office? Nope - enda said the matter was over and done with.
No he didn't.

point out they chased willie odea out on the back of him signing a false affidavit in the high court? nope.
Yes they did. It was first brought up in the Oireachtas by Senator Eugene Regan (FG), and the Seanad no-confidence motion put down by Frances FitzGerald (FG) basically smoked Dan Boyle out. He had been under the impression the Seanad couldn't have a motion like that put down, which was why he conveniently waited till the Dail had voted confidence in O'Dea, before suddenly developing a conscience. He was wrong.

point out that they took legal action to have the by elections take place? nope.
Two FG petitions are currently before the courts.

now , i get that FG can point out policy differences etc etc etc but these are only words from the lying political class.
Policy differences are important to voters. Try canvassing for a party, and you'll find that out quick enough. And thankfully most FG canvassers are better informed than you are about FG policy, and what FG have said and done on many important issues like the ones you've posted about above.

Congalltee

Which is another reason why its almost impossible to get a turnout higher than about 70%. Many people register in two places, but only vote in one - but as far as the register is concerned, they're two different people, one of whom hasn't voted.
I will spell it out for you.
1. A simple increase on total turnout has no statistical meaning.
2. There are wards which have 70% plus turnout.
3. There are wards which have less than 30% turnout in the same constituency.
It is the latter areas which need additonal encouragement to register and vote, do you have useful contribution to make on this point?

hiding behind a poster

I will spell it out for you.
1. A simple increase on total turnout has no statistical meaning.
2. There are wards which have 70% plus turnout.
3. There are wards which have less than 30% turnout in the same constituency.
It is the latter areas which need additonal encouragement to register and vote, do you have useful contribution to make on this point?
There are many reasons for the variations in turnout, only one of which is a greater disconnect from politics in poorer areas. Other areas have more transient populations, are at an age where young people have left but are still registered, etc. Things can be done to regularise the register in those areas, as were done before the 2007 election. But you'll never get almost everyone voting in an election, its just not possible. Our rate of turnout compares very will with other countries', though.

Junior TD

Twitter
@EoinJoyce
Please, please, please vote

Fianna Fail have utterly DESTROYED, DEMOLISHED, RUINED AND BETRAYED IRELAND!!!!!

We the people (every single one of us) should be FURIOUS with what these scum have done to us!!!!!! Fianna Fail, in the next election, WILL BE WIPED OFF THE POLITICAL MAP COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!

To those who intend on not voting, PLEASE VOTE and vent your frustration an anger and vote FIANNA FAIL OUT!!!

WE IRISH HAVE A TENDANCY TO FORGET AND TO GIVE UP, WE HAVE TO CONTINUE WITH OUR FURY, RAGE AND UTTER ANGER AT FIANNA FAIL AND GET THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Congalltee

There are many reasons for the variations in turnout, only one of which is a greater disconnect from politics in poorer areas....
What can opposition parties, and FG in particular, do tomorrow up to 2pm and on election day to target these voters so that they vote?

New Threads

Most Replies