• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Noonan a disaster as Finance spokesman

droghedasouth

We were all told that Michael Noonan would land the punches on Brian Lenihan that Richard Bruton allegedly failed to land.

No evidence of that to date.

He poo-pooed Simon Coveneys New Era document in an effort to show that he wasn't too impressed by the young kids on the block - even one who is losing a bit of hair.

Now he tries to play cute hoor and says that if the growth rate is over 4% then only 9 billion in cuts will be needed. When will he realise that after the mother of all property bubbles and the greatest bank collapse of all time, excepting Iceland, that all you get is a decade of stagnation. Even with the competitiveness reforms that FG champion, we will be lucky to get 2.75%, so great has been the success of FF policies to destroy the country.

So Michael Noonan - where is the beef?

Malbekh

He's a lot better than Bruton

Tomas Mor

In comparison to Lenihan who got everything wrong i think he is quite good. He is acting responsibly unlike Gilmore and the Whine. He has a bit of gravitas that Bruton lacked .

flavirostris

Actually, I think Noonan has been pretty good.

He has a slightly more combative edge that Richard maybe dosen't have.

He put manners on that FF'er Brian Dobson pretty lively on 6:1 recently

justme1

Now considering we have/had the two worst Finance ministers (Clowen-Lendahand) it amazes me that neither Noonan or Bruton have ever landed even a body shot of significance to Bill and Ben,i mean FFS they are there for the taking yet neither can step up to the plate???And please don't tell that supporting the comedy of 3% by 2014 is stepping up.

wombat

Actually, I think Noonan has been pretty good.

He has a slightly more combative edge that Richard maybe dosen't have.
Gilmore has the showman angle covered, we need someone with a bit of original thinking to get us out of the current mess. Noonan is like Lenihan, totally dependent on his briefers - Bruton is the man we need.

Baron von Biffo

We were all told that Michael Noonan would land the punches on Brian Lenihan that Richard Bruton allegedly failed to land.

Remember that Noonan is only in the job because Bruton botched the heave and O'Donnell knifed Kenny within 48 hours of succeeding him. He's a long way below his peak but he probably realises that he's only a place holder. It's all but certain that Lab will get Finance in the next government and he's not likely to feature in Kenny's cabinet line up. Why kill yourself when you can sit back and take the CC job.

asset test

Gilmore has the showman angle covered, we need someone with a bit of original thinking to get us out of the current mess. Noonan is like Lenihan, totally dependent on his briefers - Bruton is the man we need.
Don't disagree, but Bruton is no longer Finance Spokesperson, is he? And at least Noonan is pushing with his terrier tone, which is good. Noonan is not Gilmore after all. He is at least nibbling away at the complacency that exists now amongst the opposition.

But where is Mr. Kenny???

D

Deleted member 17573

He poo-pooed Simon Coveneys New Era document in an effort to show that he wasn't too impressed by the young kids on the block - even one who is losing a bit of hair.

Now he tries to play cute hoor and says that if the growth rate is over 4% then only 9 billion in cuts will be needed. When will he realise that after the mother of all property bubbles and the greatest bank collapse of all time, excepting Iceland, that all you get is a decade of stagnation. Even with the competitiveness reforms that FG champion, we will be lucky to get 2.75%, so great has been the success of FF policies to destroy the country.

I like Noonan and I would have far greater regard for him than for Bruton or any of the rest of the motley FG crew - but, if FF presented us with a scenario based on 4% growth rates the air around here would be blue. If the adjustments are heavily front loaded and we get very good international rates of growth then it might be possible to have a fresh look at the figures in 2 years time, but now is not the time for unjustified optimism in pursuit of an alternative, more electorally palatable strategy.

breakingnews

Bruton was useless. The only reason Kenny lost the leadership election is because they knew Bruton wasn't much better. Noonan uses colourful language and is perhaps one of the more interesting characters in the Dail.

Cael

It seems to me that Richard Bruton is the only one in Fine Gael that understands even capitalist economics.

wombat

Two problems - his 9 billion is as good a guess as Lenihan's 15 billion but its a distraction. Noonan's downfall was taking advice on the Hep C scandal just as Lenihan's downfall is taking advice on the state's finances - we need people who can challenge the advice they are given.

wombat

It seems to me that Richard Bruton is the only one in Fine Gael that understands even capitalist economics.
There are a few others but no one wants to listen to them:lol:

TommyO'Brien

He can't afford another drop in the leaders approval polls so he's keeping out of the public eye.
He was the first opposition speaker, you muppet.

Do you know anything? :rolleyes:

punchdrunk

Your heading is ridiculous. You are having a go at Noonan just because of the leadership issue. Pathetic. In fact he is far sharper that Bruton who was too easily walked on in debates. He was excellent on Morning Ireland this morning. Basically the interviewer tore into him and failed to even knock a feather out of him. Noonan is class and far more effective than Bruton.

Last edited:

wombat

Noonan is class and far more effective than Bruton.
Great if you want to be entertained, I'd prefer someone with a clue as to how we get out of the current mess with as little damage as possible

flavirostris

I don't agree that Noonan is totally dependent on briefers. He's pretty capable of detached, independent thought and he's been here before, serving in cabinet after the last FF f*ck up of the economy.
I'm a Bruton fan but Noonan has made a good fist of the job.

turdsl

Bruton was useless he never made a mark on Cowen or Lenihan. In fact when you think about it where is he now. If a man is not able to mind his own job the prospects are bad indeed.

punchdrunk

Great if you want to be entertained, I'd prefer someone with a clue as to how we get out of the current mess with as little damage as possible
Noonan has a superb grasp of economics. What is more he can get his point across far more effectively than Bruton. Bruton fails to realise that 99% of the electorate has little or no understanding of economics. Richard Bruton and Simon Coveney were blown out of it in debates in 2007. They allowed themselves to be bullied by people who knew less than they did. Nobody will bully Noonan on economics. The economy is smashed. There is no easy way out.
You talk about as little damage as possible. The damage is done with real national debt of 150 billion euro, 20 billion euro deficit and a dysfunctional banking system. There is no easy way out. If you think that Richard Bruton could just wave a magic wand you are seriously mistaken. We are facing a few more hard years.

Last edited: