Noonan: "I want to tell the Commission we are not a colony ..."

darkknight

Irish opposition says EC wants tough rules for 2011 | Reuters

... Fine Gael's finance spokesman Michael Noonan -- who is likely to be the country's next Finance Minister -- said conditions attached to the bailout package would be most stringent in 2011 and criticized the Commission, the European Union's executive arm, for mandating proposals at all.

"The memo of understanding which is going to accompany the bailout agreement with Europe, I understand now is going to be quite specific ... about 2011 ... and less specific about the following years but still specific," Noonan told parliament.

"There will be items included which effectively will be mandated ... I want to tell the Commission we are not a colony, we are a sovereign government.

"They should not be advocating solutions to Ireland that are beyond the scope of the treaties,"
he said....

Every Irish politician should be screaming this message to Rehn, Trichet and the Merrion Hotel mob.

Noonan is showing some steel. On tv yesterday he lashed out at Eurocrats who have been caught briefing againt Ireland.

Perhaps the country is beginning to wake up (but we're still quite drowsy)!

Nemi_

Just a few thoughts. Does continued participation in the euro require us to participate in solutions not covered by the Treaty, as the Treaty is inadequate?

Pushing it the other way, what's the plan B? At any stage, we could decide to form ourselves into a little box like 300 Spartans and cut the EU a new ******************************************. Does Noonan think he has a consensus behind him to do it?

I can only see this as a worthwhile strategy if what he wants is an election before the next Budget is passed. And that's fine as a strategy.

I just think that any incoming Government will have to either enter into an agreement that is not covered by the Treaty, or leave the euro.

Wakeupcall

Irish opposition says EC wants tough rules for 2011 | Reuters

Every Irish politician should be screaming this message to Rehn, Trichet and the Merrion Hotel mob.

Noonan is showing some steel. On tv yesterday he lashed out at Eurocrats who have been caught briefing againt Ireland.

Come on. In the treaty does it not say we need to have 4% debt which is basically a wildcard.

flavirostris

interesting following his comments on Prime Time last night about the IMF being more of a friend to Ireland than the ECB.

We need Noonan fighting our corner now. Lenihan is a hopeless noddy, completely out of his depth.

darkknight

I can only see this as a worthwhile strategy if what he wants is an election before the next Budget is passed. And that's fine as a strategy. ...

Fine Gael (along with Labour and Sinn Fein) have stated clearly that they want an election as soon as possible.

It is absurd that they are being urged to sign up to Fianna Fail's '4 Year Plan' and to support Fianna Fail's budget when the country has clearly lost the last remnants of confidence in Cowen, Lenihan and the entire FF/Green Muppet Show.

If FF can't be forced out of office immediately, the best Noonan can do is to flag in advance that he is made of sterner stuff than Lenihan.

muffin

??? They know that. Unfortunately, as a country, we are bankrupt and bringing down the rest of the other EU countries. The other EU countries want to try and protect their economies, can you blame them at all? We rocked the markets lately. That is all they are interested in, protecting their economies. Unfortunately, our government and banking system is too severe for Ireland to deal with. The problem lies in there, not with the EU.

Cael

Noonan is deluding himself. WE ARE A COLONY.

Nemi_

If FF can't be forced out of office immediately, the best Noonan can do is to flag in advance that he is made of sterner stuff than Lenihan.
Or, put another way, hope to convince them that no binding agreement will be possible before an election.

I just think the irony is that he's effectively using the EU as a tool to pull the plug on this administration, despite his invoking of our independence. Still, I wouldn't necessarily mind an election.

Expatriot

We are not "bringing other EU countries down", this is more of the myth. Greece did not bring us down and we will not bring Portugal down. The banks and the way the Euro is being operated brought us down as well as a super useless government that decided to attach our life vest to the bank anchor as soon as it went over board.

If the EU wants to save the Euro or Portugal or AIB go ahead. I am interested in Eire and it alone, the people being paid to run Eire should focus on Eire. There are enough people in Brussels being paid to worry about the Euro.

The 4 year plan is undemocratic and totally against what it says in our Constitution.

turdsl

Great praise for the Fine Gael front bench today,including Kenny which is something new. Gilmore in big trouble, playing the interview with Sean O Rourke again this evening.
We are going to hear this many times until the election.

Buddies

Noonan is deluding himself. WE ARE A COLONY.

Go away you, with your nonsense.

for the past number of years I have seen you post an amount of nonsense on this site...your nothing more than a keyboard spoofer, an internet warrior, so deluded that you almost believe yourself

Asparagus

for the past number of years I have seen you post an amount of nonsense on this site...your nothing more than a keyboard spoofer, an internet warrior, so deluded that you almost believe yourself
You only joined the site this month???

What must you think of tonic?

Nemi_

The 4 year plan is undemocratic and totally against what it says in our Constitution.
How do you mean? Does it undermine the position of the Holy Trinity as the source of all authority and ultimate referee of all human endeavour? Does it obstruct the establishment of as many families as possible upon the land? Or does it require mothers to work outside the family home?

I just don't see the immediate connection.

Super8

Noonan knows how it works in Europe a lot better than Lenihan does.

Lenihan and Cowen never thought they'd have to do anything other than make sure all their mates got a slice of the state spending during the goods times. They're a pair of crooks.

They've never had to negotiate. All they know is how to deceive.

conservative green

While these statements from Noonan are certainly welcome, it should never be forgotte that the Blueshirts were instrumental in selling out our sovereignty. They are the most fanatical Eurofederalist party in Ireland. Cael is correct, we have been a colony for many years now. Bit late in the day to wake up and realise this.

Buddies

You only joined the site this month???

What must you think of tonic?
Yera, he is that FF stooge yes?

paid a fair bit of attention to the site over the years, mainly to see if Digout would start a riot

what happened him anyway

And i'm right about Cael, yes?

Cael

The so called government of this so called state has to ask the EU and the IMF for permission to introduce any policy. We are the mugs who now have to work to save the British, German and French banks who speculated on the Irish property bubble.

So, explain to me how we are not a colony. Otherwise shut your silly mouth.

Cael

And you think its a good thing?
Obviously not. But, it takes more than crying like a baby to our EU masters that we are not a colony for that to become true. Indeed, the very fact that he is addressing this message to the EU grandees shows that it is true that we are a colony.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies