• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Noonan Proposes Economic Plan to Replace Troika Programme

ProfCalculus

Michael Noonan has set aside €1.4m to come up with an economic plan to "take us from 2014 to 2020".

It seems it will mirror the troika programme in the sense that targets will have to be met by certain times etc.

For my money this is a good thing - the lack of proper targets in the past is a large part of why "we are where we are".

enuffisenuff

The plan....

Sync

1. It's a good idea. And tbh it's something we should continue indefinetely after 2020, breaking down the economic future of the country in 10 year blocks in terms of our big ticket aims.

2. It's critical to involve the main opposition parties to this. There's no point having a plan that's going to be scrapped every time FF and FG pass the parcel to each other.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
We all know FG's history of "plans", the last one had five points and was ditched within an hour of the election.

sking81

Why is it costing an extra €1.4 million? I thought Noonan and his lackeys were already well paid. Are they going on holiday to put the plan together?

LamportsEdge

Why does it cost 1.4million to come up with an economic plan when we have a Department of Finance or are they totally taken up with administering the current spending issues?

Does this 1.4million set aside represent the buying in of yet more economic expertise from agencies such as KPMG and Ernst & Young?

One would have thought that any plan for the most open small economy in the world would be entirely dependent on the usual fatuous indicators such as international 'growt'.

Aindriu

1. It's a good idea. And tbh it's something we should continue indefinetely after 2020, breaking down the economic future of the country in 10 year blocks in terms of our big ticket aims.

2. It's critical to involve the main opposition parties to this. There's no point having a plan that's going to be scrapped every time FF and FG pass the parcel to each other.
Good luck with that idea so.

Congalltee

Is it not a bit pointless now that Haddington Road, our Corporate tax regime, and income tax, and 23% vat rate and headline social welfare rates, are sacred cows?

What's left?
- poorer public service?
- inheritance tax thresholds lowered?
- more charges, levies, etc?
- bigger class sizes?
- another tier to the health service?
- flog our forests, profitable utility companies, and Nama?

Ulster-Lad

Why is it costing an extra €1.4 million? I thought Noonan and his lackeys were already well paid. Are they going on holiday to put the plan together?
Ink cartridges.

ProfCalculus

We all know FG's history of "plans", the last one had five points and was ditched within an hour of the election.
Fair enough. Although something tells me that was done on the back of a fag packet.

One would hope that €1.4m will deliver something comprehensive and sensible that will at least increase the chances that targets will be met.

ProfCalculus

Agree with point 1.

As regards point 2, this would seem to be the big sticking point - democracies don't lend themselves to long term plans!

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Michael Noonan has set aside €1.4m to come up with an economic plan to "take us from 2014 to 2020".

It seems it will mirror the troika programme in the sense that targets will have to be met by certain times etc.

For my money this is a good thing - the lack of proper targets in the past is a large part of why "we are where we are".
I can see your point about meeting targets, but the underlying problem which caused the crash is still there. Basically crony capitalism as the trioka of FF/FG/Lab run the state in deference to the banksters, Denis O'Brien's, Sir Tony O'Reilly's etc with the ordinary Irish person been screwed to the hilt in proping up this cronyist state.

Last edited:

LamportsEdge

Weird how this is presented as a Sudden Good Idea. One would have thought that there is always an economic plan adjustable in its forecasts for international trade data and supply and demand metrics in the DoF.

The fact that this notion has suddenly arisen and needs to be budgeted for makes me more uneasy about what exactly goes on in the DoF rather than lending more confidence.

I am amused however at Sync's support for a Glorious Ten Year Plan. If he can express support now for central planning and job-creation schemes with public money we can start calling Sync a Trot:)

stopdoingstuff

A massive push to develop our domestic scientific capacity and industrial base, and to help existing business reach new markets. There- I'll charge the state a tenner for that, they can keep the other 1,399,990, and fund the rest by requesting proposals from the various expert groups.

Sync

The sensible thing to do here is to bring in advisors who have written/consulted on long term plans successfully in other countries. He's not looking for an "extra" 1.4, he's putting it aside from the finance dept's budget. Not sure how the DOF do things, but remember, it's perfectly possible that 700k of the funding will be made up from internal hours put towards this.

Sync

I am amused however at Sync's support for a Glorious Ten Year Plan. If he can express support now for central planning and job-creation schemes with public money we can start calling Sync a Trot:)
You know what we need? Collective farms! Get the unemployed into some wellies!

Plebian

It's just cover for the fact that although you might officially get out of the programme, in realty unless you pay off the debts, then the Troika will still be calling the shots.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

The sensible thing to do here is to bring in advisors who have written/consulted on long term plans successfully in other countries. He's not looking for an "extra" 1.4, he's putting it aside from the finance dept's budget. Not sure how the DOF do things, but remember, it's perfectly possible that 700k of the funding will be made up from internal hours put towards this.
more advisors? more of the same ol' same ol' if you ask me