• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Noonan upbeat about 2013 and "very strong 2014/2015".

Marcos the black

"Michael Noonan said he is confident that 2013 will be a crucial turning point for the Irish economy.

"Deficits are going down, debt is becoming sustainable, and confidence is building up - so I think that there was a good end to the year coming into Christmas, there was a good start to the year in January" he said.

"I think while everything won't be sailing along in perfection in 2013, I think we'll look back on it as the year in which the economy turned and I look forward to very strong areas in 2014/2015" he added."

http://newstalk.ie/Exchequer-figures-show-tax-revenues-up-3%

I wonder how long it will take for a poster to argue this outlook on the basis that he's "baldy".. But it's good to see some upbeat comments about the economy for a change.

2013 is to be a turning point year in this recession/depression depending on your point of view, and can be built on next year and the following one.
I also notice that the Indo (as opposed to the Sindo) has become increasingly upbeat too with recent features on inward investments and entrepreneurs.

So what do you think? Is the "back broken" of this recession? Is there finally light at the end of the tunnel? (and no I don't mean an oncoming train :))

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

"Michael Noonan said he is confident that 2013 will be a crucial turning point for the Irish economy.

"Deficits are going down, debt is becoming sustainable, and confidence is building up - so I think that there was a good end to the year coming into Christmas, there was a good start to the year in January" he said.

"I think while everything won't be sailing along in perfection in 2013, I think we'll look back on it as the year in which the economy turned and I look forward to very strong areas in 2014/2015" he added."

I wonder how long it will take for a poster to argue this outlook on the basis that he's "baldy".. But it's good to see some upbeat comments about the economy for a change.

2013 is to be a turning point year in this recession/depression depending on your point of view, and can be built on next year and the following one.
I also notice that the Information has become increasingly upbeat too with recent features on inward investments and entrepreneurs.

So what do you think? Is the "back broken" of this recession? Is there finally light at the end of the tunnel? (and no I don't mean an oncoming train :))
I disagree but Noonan is entitled to his opinion. However what on earth possessed him to say this...?

"debt is becoming sustainable"

Is he actually serious about that claim?

ruserious

Don't you mean Two-Thirteen?

Hewson

I disagree but Noonan is entitled to his opinion but what on earth posessed him to say this...?

He's talking about his car loan.

commonman

I see the name Newstalk on your post that tell me it all bullsh1t.

Marcos the black

I disagree but Noonan is entitled to his opinion. However what on earth possessed him to say this...?

Well he is the one dealing with the PN's.... Maybe he knows something you don't?

Last edited:

BrightDay

I also notice that the Indo (as opposed to the Sindo) has become increasingly upbeat too with recent features on inward investments and entrepreneurs.

I am sure the ECB will be delighted to hear that our Minsiter of Finance thinks that our debt is becoming sustainable - no need for a deal on Promissory Notes so. Why does this Government keep insisting that we can manage our debt while at the same time crying for help from EU on the same debt.

Mrwoody

Noonan is the go too man for positivity i felt good when i heard him speak these words today, i wore off soon after but anyway.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Well be is the one dealing with the PN's.... Maybe he knows something you don't?
Perhaps he does....

Although I'll take bets on whether, as FM, he checks his own department's figures or not - especially the ones relating to debt and interest payments on that debt which are getting worse and are set to increase over the next number of years...

Knowing that (or not...as the case may be) he still comes out with such a ludicrous claim.

Roll_On

I predict 4 years of small growth, followed by a return to the nominal growth of the 1990's. Noonan is entitled to his opinion of course he is inherently bias in light of his job. I wonder what he thinks of the 7% increase in govt spending in January.

Marcos the black

I see the name Newstalk on your post that tell me it all bullsh1t.
So because Newstalk reported it, you automatically rubbish it?..
I listen to it quite a bit and I don't think they ever got a news story wrong... Maybe you could provide one such example?

44percent

Are we back to the "confidence", the "talking up", the "blue sky thinking" and all the other bullshyte of the CT era? Lets see some delivery Minister, lets see some reduction of the sovereign debt, lets see jobs and jobs and jobs not a rerun of the bankrupt 40's and 50's.

Crazy horse 6

Unfortunately people will lap up his BS. Of course when things do go pear shaped he'll blame it on "outside factors" ala Bertie and Lehmans.

wombat

I listen to it quite a bit and I don't think they ever got a news story wrong... Maybe you could provide one such example?
More to the point, can you recall a news story as distinct from gossip that they broke?

wombat

Quite honestly, I think the jury is out on Noonan, if he delivers, great but I for one have no confidence in his ability to get a satisfactory deal from the ECB. I hope I'm wrong

tipp revolution

I predict 4 years of small growth, followed by a return to the nominal growth of the 1990's. Noonan is entitled to his opinion of course he is inherently bias in light of his job. I wonder what he thinks of the 7% increase in govt spending in January.
Why did the govt increase spending by 7 % in January?

Crazy horse 6

Noisetalk are in essence a mouthpiece for IBEC and are basically a special interest radio station. I would'nt trust a thing the feckers told me.

Goa Tse

In my infinite cynicism, I think this is just the start of some kind of preamble to spin or "justify" that the €3.1Bn prommisorry note will be paid in full come March (as if it ever wasn't gonna be!) as "a sign of good faith with our EU Banking Federation Overlords, eh I mean Partners . . ."

Mr. Bumble

Newstalk doesn't do news. It does presenters' opinions on current affairs.