Norn Iron 2019 election & DUP hypocrisy

Dame_Enda

Meanwhile back on topic, great piece by Jude on the upcoming election.

Despite what Jude Collins says, it's not clear if the SDLP will stand aside from their inevitable failed run in FST. The Impartial Reporter website says someone is considering running for them there. There is a lot of buzz though over their prospects in South Belfast and Foyle. I personally think someone needs to represent the Nationalist voice at Westminster. If it's okay for the SNP why not in NI.

Se0samh

Despite what Jude Collins says, it's not clear if the SDLP will stand aside from their inevitable failed run in FST. The Impartial Reporter website says someone is considering running for them there. There is a lot of buzz though over their prospects in South Belfast and Foyle. I personally think someone needs to represent the Nationalist voice at Westminster. If it's okay for the SNP why not in NI.

Why?

Dame_Enda

Because of Brexit for one thing, and to debunk DUP attempts to present itself as the sole representative of the Six Counties.

Se0samh

Because of Brexit for one thing, and to debunk DUP attempts to present itself as the sole representative of the Six Counties.

Wise up, how much good did that do the mugs in the DUP...how much good has any MP from the North been able to do by going there...the DUP can't be debunked any more than they have been anyway, but it won't alter anything either...they're too brass-necked...Westminster is an irrelevancy...except maybe to pass THE Withdrawal agreement...

Emily Davison

Dame_Enda

Wise up, how much good did that do the mugs in the DUP...how much good has any MP from the North been able to do by going there...the DUP can't be debunked any more than they have been anyway, but it won't alter anything either...they're too brass-necked...Westminster is an irrelevancy...except maybe to pass THE Withdrawal agreement...
But the DUP dont have Irelands interests at heart. They are a single issue party fixated with maintaining the union with Britain. A voice for the Nationalist community is needed at this critical time. The SNP has been able to hold up Brexit.

I would also point out that the original raison d'etre for SFs abstentionist policy before partition was that having abstained, they would set up an independent Dail. SF has abstained but doesn't want to go to the NI assembly either. Just sitting around waiting for the cheques from HMs Treasury is a funny kind of republicanism.

petaljam

I agree, which is why I probably wouldn't vote Sinn Fein if I were voting there. But people do, and they do so knowing that SF won't sit at Westminster. Isn't it only democratic to respect that vote? Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote for a party that refuses to sit if they think it's a principle worth respecting?

It seems to be the same problem you having understanding that the second referendum over Nice or whatever doesn't mean people have to vote the way anyone else wants them to. You think that's a refusal of democracy yet here you are proposing that a party should only propose the policies you approve of!

The SDLP also stand on a reunification platform but will take their seats. So let them stand and see how many people agree with each. That's democracy.

But the DUP dont have Irelands interests at heart.
Do Sinn Fein? I don't think they do, nor any political party really.
They all have an image of how they want Ireland to be, which is not the same thing.

Se0samh

But the DUP dont have Irelands interests at heart. They are a single issue party fixated with maintaining the union with Britain. A voice for the Nationalist community is needed at this critical time. The SNP has been able to hold up Brexit.
No they don't, but even holding the balance of power they were unable to protect their interests...Irish interests, of all stripes, whether they call themselves British or no, come secondary to perceived GB interests, always have and always will. Indeed there could feasibly be an argument made that GB perceives its interests as actively hostile to those Irish interests...

Glenshane4

SF has abstained but doesn't want to go to the NI assembly either. Just sitting around waiting for the cheques from HMs Treasury is a funny kind of republicanism.
Sinn Fein policy on attendance at Westminster is a matter for members of Sinn Fein to decide. No business of mine. No business of yours.

I would like Sinn Fein MPs to attend the House of Commons and use Parliamentary Privilege to "out" Prods who have been involved in any form of aggression against Catholics. Unfortunately, none of the Eirefolk, who have been badgering Sinn Fein to attend Parliament, have made any suggestions as to how such attendance might be used to advance the interests of the oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland. Every single Eire person, who has been involved in this badgering campaign, has suggested that attendance at Parliament could be used to oppose Brexit. For some reason, everyone in Eire takes it for granted that the Catholic people of Northern Ireland exist to advance the interests of Eire. Why are Eire people always trying to USE us?

death or glory

Sinn Fein policy on attendance at Westminster is a matter for members of Sinn Fein to decide. No business of mine. No business of yours.

I would like Sinn Fein MPs to attend the House of Commons and use Parliamentary Privilege to "out" Prods who have been involved in any form of aggression against Catholics. Unfortunately, none of the Eirefolk, who have been badgering Sinn Fein to attend Parliament, have made any suggestions as to how such attendance might be used to advance the interests of the oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland. Every single Eire person, who has been involved in this badgering campaign, has suggested that attendance at Parliament could be used to oppose Brexit. For some reason, everyone in Eire takes it for granted that the Catholic people of Northern Ireland exist to advance the interests of Eire. Why are Eire people always trying to USE us?
Glenshane,
on your last question,
it looks like they care even less about youse than we do, and personally I ddn't think that was possible.

If ever there was a community of "Norman No mates", that would be it.

EnglishObserver

If that is the case, why did you pass adverse judgement on those who did?
Perhaps because they claimed to be Irish Republicans in the traition of Tone and Connelly - not sectarian murderers defending a specific religious tribe.

Talk Back

Perhaps because they claimed to be Irish Republicans in the traition of Tone and Connelly - not sectarian murderers defending a specific religious tribe.
We Irish know of no spectacle so disgusting as when you foreigners, given your history in our country, throw one of your hypocritical fits of morality.

EnglishObserver

Because you let them?

EnglishObserver

Didn't The DUP get a large pile of cash out of Mrs May for ALL the people of NI to enjoy?

Se0samh

I would also point out that the original raison d'etre for SFs abstentionist policy before partition was that having abstained, they would set up an independent Dail. SF has abstained but doesn't want to go to the NI assembly either. Just sitting around waiting for the cheques from HMs Treasury is a funny kind of republicanism.

Repeating irrelevancies doesn't make them relevant, the DUP even holding the balance of power and supporting a supposedly commonly purposed unionist party couldn't get the British to to appreciably alter course, Irish non or anti-unionists would have and have had no greater success in getting the British to do anything helpful to Irish interests...if they don't help their supposed friends and fellow unionists, why in the name of god would they help anyone else...both the present and past should tell you that...

As for abstentionism and the reasons why it was adopted ...who cares...we have, and can have no real influence there, so what is the point of going...might as well stand on a beach and tell the tide to go back...oh wait, didn't someone do that already...

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Repeating irrelevancies doesn't make them relevant, the DUP even holding the balance of power and supporting a supposedly commonly purposed unionist party couldn't get the British to to appreciably alter course, Irish non or anti-unionists would have and have had no greater success in getting the British to do anything helpful to Irish interests...if they don't help their supposed friends and fellow unionists, why in the name of god would they help anyone else...both the present and past should tell you that...

As for abstentionism and the reasons why it was adopted ...who cares...we have, and can have no real influence there, so what is the point of going...might as well stand on a beach and tell the tide to go back...oh wait, didn't someone do that already...
The UK Labour party in particular is full of members of the Irish diaspora. I dont accept we would have no influence there.

Se0samh

The UK Labour party in particular is full of members of the Irish diaspora. I dont accept we would have no influence there.

Don't you? Okay then, tell me when that influence, if it exists, has had any substantial or lasting benefits...I am a Labour supporter, but only because I have many relatives in GB whose lives are much better and more secure under a Labour government...as for NI, it has had perhaps one good Labour SoS, Mo Mowlam...but let's not forget the worse than useless Merlyn Rees or the odious Roy Mason...

New Threads

Most Replies